Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #1 
tidbit

Question how much food????

I don't know how much to feed my fish>< A worker at PetSmart said 3 every second day :0 sounded like they were staving the fish there, so when i got home i looked it up on the internet, lots of people said 4~6 everyday and one day of fasting, so i feed my fish 2 at lunch and 2 at supper and on Friday it doesn't eat, is that to little,to much,or perfect?How much do you feed your fish?

thanks
tidbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

What are you feeding him? I feed mine 8 new life spectrum pellets a day, four in the morning and four at night. NLS is a lot smaller then other brands though.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #3 
tidbit

I am feeding him Aqueon betta food
Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #4 
bniebetta

I would get a betta food that lists the first three ingredients as protiens, not glutens or wheat. The size of the pellet matters as well; this rule does not by any means cover everything you should consider, but for beginners it helps to keep in mind that his stomach is only as big as his eyeball. Many of us here on the forum also set aside a fasting day. It is up to you whether you want to feed your betta daily or every other day, It will not hurt him. you just need to keep in mind how the portion size would change depending on your feeding schedule. Also, it is always better to underfeed rather than overfeed. You will know if you are dangerously underfeeding because your fish will look thin. Also be aware that overfeeding and poor quality food can lead to constipation, a common problem for these fish. We generally recommend New Life Spectrum or Omega One, or ever Attison's Betta Pro as the best foods. You can also feed him treats like frozen or freeze dried bloodworms here and there to keep things well-rounded.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #5 
tidbit

I cant seem to find any blood worms any where, ill just look around some more stores.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #6 
bniebetta

really? they usually have a little fridge/freezer thing at most petcos and petsmarts. sometimes you have to request them though at an LFS. I'm sure you will find one eventually. Otherwise, if you are still interested in live food, you can usually grow your own sometimes as easily as just keeping a bucket topped off with water. Sometimes people here will sell live cultures, and you can find them on aquabid as well.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #7 
sainthogan

I feed my male 3 in the morning and 3 at night, with occasional fasting as needed since he's prone to constipation. He usually won't eat more than 3 pellets at a time, so I'd rather not try to feed him more and then have him waste it.
My female gets 4 to 5 pellets twice a day (she's quite a bit bigger than he is, I think she has King Betta in her, she's quite large for a female), and I never fast her because otherwise she shreds her live plants.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote