Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #1 
Madi92

Urgent need help fast

Just got home from a play and I went to go feed my fish but I noticed that he was having trouble swimming and when ever he went to try to swimm to the bottom he'd float back up.he seemed fine earlier befor e I left and all . And he isn't upside down or anything he's just floating, although he is trying to swim to the bottom sometime. I decided not to feed him tonite and see if that helps. Please get back to me ASAP!!!!!!! I'm so worried
Madi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #2 
OSagent23

I'm assuming its a beta but what size tank is he in? Does it have strong water current? What are the parameters of the aquarium? Is the aquarium cycled? Are you able to post a picture of the fish?

Answering these questions might help us get you answer.
OSagent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #3 
Otterfun

5cc ES/1g water, 80f heated tank, 100% WC daily, max 10 days.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #4 
Madi92

This is him. He will try to stay at the bottom, and he has been trying to find places where he will stay but just keeps coming back up. Please help soon if you can give me any help please. I clean his tanks on Tuesday , and to day is Friday night. I have had him I for a 2 weeks and at first he wouldn't eat but he has been doing better please get back ASAP . I'm not feeding him to nite and am going to let him rest over night and see how he is in the morning, a gain please help I love Chandler with all my life( I didn't really know that was possible with a fish unitl I got Chandler so please help)he is my first betta so I am a newbie so if a sound a little stressed sorry I just love him and want him to be happy.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #5 
Madi92

He is in a 1 gallon tank that is cleaned regularly with no current because I don't have a filter I just clean it about 1 -2 times a week
Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #6 
OSagent23

Is he slow, sort of sluggish? Betas have to come up to the surface to breath air often. What size is his aquarium? One thing you can do is a quick water change. Do like 10-15% and condition the water before you pour it in. What temperature is the aquarium?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #7 
OSagent23

Have you tested his water?

Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #8 
Madi92

No he isn't sluggish because he is really trying to get to the bottom and stay . And is moving around a lot .
Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #9 
Catw0man

Hopefully it is "just" Swim Bladder Disease.....which manifests as the fish being unable to swim normally and either having trouble going down in the water or trouble getting to the surface of the water. I say "hopefully" it's SBD, because that often will right itself within a couple of days. It's a good idea to hold off on feeding him for a few days. If it doesn't get better in a week or so, or if he really starts to bloat, then there may be a different issue.
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #10 
OSagent23

I will say sometimes betas swim to the bottom and slowly float to the top to conserve energy. I personally think a 1 gallon aquarium is rather small for a beta but again that's my opinion. Maybe he is just doing what he likes. Swimming to the bottom and floating to the top. Is there anything on him that seems out of the norm, such as white specs, discoloration or swelling stomach or eyes?