Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #1 
scoobie

Exclamation Help I've rescued a sick Betta!!

Hello, I am new to this. I have recently rescued a Betta on Monday. He was in a gallon tank at work. The owner put some type of small frog in the tank on a Friday and Monday his tail looked chewed on so she took the frog out. Then the fish started getting white patches, so we bought ich medication and some other stuff. Each time the tank was cleaned the next day the water was cloudy. The fish quit eating about a week ago, his lips were swollen, eyes were huge and cloudy and he just lays on his plant. They gave up on him but I refused to, so I brought him home. I bought a 5 gallon tank yesterday, with pump, filter and heater and all new stuff. I was told to only use Distilled water to fill it. The water was clear until today. Then I read not to use Distilled water which scared me so I took out about a gallon of water and replaced it with tap water and added the conditioner. His eyes are almost back to normal now, but he isn't active. He stays at the top of the tank in the corner. Please help I don't want him to die.
scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Any chance that you could post a photo of him? it would give us a better idea of what is going on. Triple Sulfa might be a good treatment option but let us see a photo first....then we can decide.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #3 
scoobie

I don't know how to post the pics. But I added an album with 5 pics. I've been treating him since Monday. How long will it take for him to get better? I'm worried because he won't eat.

Last edited by scoobie; 05-02-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

How are the white patches on his fins and his mouth? Were the white patches like dots of salt or were they fuzzy? What other stuff besides ich medication did the put in his tank? Putting the tap water in with water conditioner (declorinator) was a good move. You can do another 50% water change tommorow. Keeping his water clean will help him heal regardless of what is the matter.

This is what was wrong with his eyes but that sounds like it's going away:

Popeye
•Symptoms: One or both eyes will swell and bulge out. It in itself can also be a symptom of Dropsy.
•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn.

I am going to give you a link that has a good chart for diagnosing fish diseases. This is to better help you describe what condition he is now not necessarily to run and get more medicine yet.

http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/fis...disorders.html
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #5 
scoobie

Old 05-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #6 
scoobie

Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #7 
scoobie

Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

As first help i would actually do another 50% water changes with regular tap water and water conditioner right now and do it tomorrow . I don't even see white patches. Does he still have those white, fluffy patches? I can't see from the picture but i don't see that he has popeye.
I would do more water changes and see if it will help him. Give us update on white patches and eye.
Do you have Epsom(UNSCENTED) and aqaurium salt?
Sorry i wrote it before i saw next two pictures...
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

Is his one eye bigger then other one? Is his eye cloudy?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #10 
scoobie

He's been treated with Ick Drops and Melafix for about 2 weeks. When I brought him home Monday I also started him on Fungus Clear Fizz Tabs and Start Zyme.
When he was at the office his whole side of his head looked white and fuzzy. The girls thought he was rotting. but as you can see it looks much better.