Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #1 
sbgrn

Why today can't he stay on the bottom?

I've had a betta for a few years (not the same one, I'm on the third one) and have always had them in a small "betta tank" which is less than a gallon cube with no light, filter or heater. My first two thrived, one of them for over two years, in this tank. I change the water at least twice a week putting the conditioner in the water. Now my newest fish Charley has suddently today started to float at the top, and he really struggles to get to the bottom then pops right back up to the top. When I put in food, he attacked it then spit most of it out. Any suggestions?
sbgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #2 
Chevko

Ooh, um. I can't remember exactly what it is called, but it has to do with his swim... bladder... thingie. Sadly I'm not any help in this beyond that vague description. I'm pretty sure it's called a swim bladder though. His has, obviously, something weird going on with it. I'll leave the rest to the experienced.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #3 
sbgrn

I read some of the entries about this questions on other threads, I've placed his little tank under a lamp to warm him up and I'm letting some water sit to change 50%. I'm also going to give him a little piece of pea to see if that helps. I also see some of you strongly suggest bigger tanks with filters and light, I'm going to look into it. The beauty of the little one is that I'm a travel nurse and am in one place only 3 months, so it's really easy to bring hiim with me with the smaller tank, but I'll do what's best for him. Any more suggestions?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #4 
sbgrn

He won't eat the pea.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #5 
Lena N

I am not experienced. But how much food do you usually give him? I read on Russian forum that it could be infection or too much food...

How did you feed pea? When I was feeding pea to mine I was cuting it into very small pieces.
There was the time I ovefed my Betta, he did not eat for 3 days. Nothing.. He sat under thermometer for all 3 days...

In similar thread to yours Russians recommend to buy heater and not to feed for some time. In the end of that thread on Russian forum fish recovered...

Hope some experienced user will come soon and recommend you smth too. But I think you should buy heater. I keep my 2 Bettas (temporary) in 2,5 G together with small heater and change water 40%-50% a day. I know nobody changes so often but I have complecs about ammonia....

Last edited by Lena N; 04-28-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #6 
sbgrn

I give him 1-2 flakes a day. Sometimes when he didn't eat that day's flakes, I will skip a day.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #7 
sbgrn

I cut it into tiny pieces and he didn't seem interested. But then he struggled to get to the bottom (since the pea sank immediately) and he finally ate a little of it.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #8 
Nicci Lu

I know a lot of people suggest frozen peas for constipation, but it is not, IMO, good for them. Bettas would never in nature eat peas- their systems are not meant to process vegetable matter and that is why it passes so quickly through their systems. If you want to give him something for constipation (which can be a cause of swim bladder disorder), try giving him small portions of frozen daphnia. It can be found at most LFSs. Daphnia has a lot of roughage which helps to unblock the digestive tract, and, being an insect, is much more natural for bettas.

However, SBD can also be caused by other things, such as stress and bacterial infections. Stress is more common than bacteria infections. But stress can also make the fish more susceptible to infections.

1) Do you have a water testing kit? I strongly suggest testing your water to find out ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. The presence of these can be very stressful.

2) Bettas really need heaters. They need warm, stable temperatures, from 78-80 degrees. Can you get him at least a 2 gallon so he can have a heater? I'm sure it would help him a lot.

3) Flakes are not a very good food for bettas. Poor diet can cause SBD. For a betta's staple nutrition, pellets are the way to go, either Omega One or New Life Spectrum brand.

4) When you change his water, are you ensuring that the new water is the same temperature as the old? This is important, as sudden temp changes can induce shock.

Edit: Also, have you seen him poop lately?
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #9 
Lena N

I give 4 pellets a day. 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. I soak flakes in water and also cut them before feeding. It is because I do not want any food at the bottom. I give them pieces of pellets. and they catch from my finger.
I heard that flakes are not the best food. Though myself I feed flakes too(Betta Min). I do not know what kind f flakes you have. But I give more than 4 a day.
After he recovers try not to starve him.

I think he will be better if he still can eat pea. Maybe because of cold water and not best diet heis immune system failed and he got ill.

Before you set up and sycled big tank I woul recommend the way I keep my boys now.
I would recommemd to get at least 2,5 G glass tank (13-15$ in Petco). On my photo. I devided it.
Small heater. I have Marina heater. Bought at Pestsmart for about 10-12$.
The top you can make from any plastic box (just to cut out the plasctic).
Themometre.
Vacume for gravel (or just tube).
When I change water every day (50%) I vacume the bare bottom with tube (I do not have gravel).
You could change water every next day. As Nicci Lu said the temperature must match.
They seem ok with such rutine and do bubble nests every day.

I do not recommend plant in not sycled tank as you will get nitrites. I already took off most of them and left only one branch of plant.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lena N; 04-28-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #10 
Fenghuang

Sounds like swim bladder disease. SDB is typically caused by improper food or overfeeding. The recommended treatment is 1 or 2 teaspoons per gallon of epsom salt and fasting. Bettas should usually recover after a day or two of that treatment.

Also, it is arguable whether feeding peas to bettas is good for them or not. Peas work for omnivores such as goldfish because it is fiber and acts like a laxative, helping the constapation and bloating that accompany SDB. However, bettas are carnivores and some people say that it causes more harm them good because a betta's system is not designed to process fiber like that. I say it is better to be safe tham sorry and not take the risk. You can feed frozen daphnia instead.

You should definitely get a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and should ideally be kept at between 78 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit.

EDIT: Nicci Lu beat me to it.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 04-28-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote