Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #1 
veggiegirl

Weird fin rot!!!!!!

Okay so I was interested to learn whether anyone else has experienced fin rot like this. I did my best to get a photo but his water is really murky due to the Neomycin (antibiotic) that I am treating him with, unfortunately it does not seem to be helping after 8 days of treatment. Instead of the edges of his fins receding or large chunks of fin breaking away he gets tiny little pin holes all over his fins and they just seem to sort of decintergrate (sorry spelling). You can see the holes if you look carefully at the photo. This boy was a rescue and was very very unwell when I got him, he has suffered fin rot on many occasions despite keeping his water emaculately clean. He has never seemed 100% well and I think his immune system may be permanently weakened.

Name:  DSCF3049copy.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  32.1 KB
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #2 
crystalicethorn

My fish has the same thing at the moment and I have no idea what is going on :/
Mine is getting a bit better but a previous fish i had died within a week of having it.
Maybe if you could put up some more info on your tank (heating, size etc) i could help you more.
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

How long do the directions say to treat with Neomycin?

If the Neomycin isn't effective, you may need to try a different gram negative antibiotic. (Fin rot is usually caused by either water quality issues or gram negative bacterial infections.... And I've seen enough posts from you to know that you're changing the water regularly, which leaves bacterial....)

You could also add something like Vitachem. It contains vitamins and minerals, and gets added directly to the water. It might help strengthen his immune system.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #4 
logisticsguy

I have been using a product called Paraguard for betta issues like this with good results.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #5 
SerenaRena
Banned

try API tail rot medication
SerenaRena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #6 
veggiegirl

Hey all and thank you for your replies.

crystalicethorn- He is usually kept in a large barrack tank with 9 other males. Each compartment is heated and filtered and they are cleaned out 2-3 times weekly. I keep no gravel in my betta tanks specifically so that I can keep them nice and clean due to their tendency towards bacterial infections. This guy has been suffering from this for about a month.

LittleBlueFishlets- Originally the treatment plan for the Neomycin was 100% daily water changes and Neomycin dosage for five days, when it wasn't working the vet suggested following the same regime for a further five days. Today is the last day and this guy is still getting worse. I am considering giving him a weeks break from meds with some IAL in his water and then seeing if the vet can suggest another antibiotic that targets gram- negative bacteria. The poor boy has been through so much. I originally bought him as a rescue because he had bad fin rot and velvet. I cleared up the fin rot and velvet but he keeps getting the fin rot back despite his regularly cleaned tank. I try to feed them a good diet too, they get Atisons betta pro pellets twice a day and once a week they get a mixture of frozen black mosquito larvae and brine shrimp. I am planning on getting a large variety of frozen foods for them.....makes life a but more interesting for them and also a varied diet is healthy for them. I will definately look into the vitachem....sounds like he might benefit from it, just hope we can get it here in Australia....even when they don't contain S4 drugs a lot of products are difficult to get here.

logisticsguy- I think I can get the paragaurd from a LFS here so I will definately look into getting some.

SerenaRena- Thanks, Will definately look into the API tail rot medication.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

I've never used Vitachem, but Callistra always had really good things to say about it. I read the ingredients, and it's basically just a fish-safe vitamin, mineral and amino acid supplement.

I found a link for Vitachem in Australia:
http://www.avk.com.au/additives-chem...prod_3085.html
It looks like they're out of stock right now, but you could contact them, at least.

Yeah, I just looked up Furan 2, and similar antibiotics. They usually work well for fin rot.... But they're not available in Australia.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #8 
veggiegirl

LittleBlueFishlets, thank you for going to the trouble to find the link for Vitachem in Australia, it is much appreciated I will definately contact them, Thank you again!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Hey Veggiegirl, Age of Aquariums has Vitachem in stock.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...=5885&catID=99

Sorry if this posts twice the site is playing up for me.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #10 
veggiegirl

Thanks LittleBettaFish, I have ordered from this site before and was happy with the result so I'll get some from them. Thanks for going to the trouble to find it for me, I really do appreciate it