Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #1 
Adnamac

Poor Leroy...Tattered.

I've been away from home since Friday afternoon. I had to really persuade my boyfriend (who is a bit of a drama queen and now thinks I find him 'boring') to allow me to come home to check my bettas...had a feeling something wasn't right.

Everyone was fine except for poor Leroy. Somehow he got himself stuck on top of the thermomter. His dorsal has a huge tear, and some blacking. There's also possibly fuzzy...or just seriously torn fin. I'm not sure.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5g
What temperature is your tank? 79* F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 ADF, 1 algae eater

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon/Omega one pellets, freeze dried bloodworms as a treat
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets am, 2 pm. 1 bloodworm after water changes. Fasting day after waterchange.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%-50%, depending
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime or Stress Coat+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
See attatched picture of test results. My PH is high, and always is. Has never seemed to bother him.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? HUGE tear. Possile bits of fuzz/fungus around his head. Nothing major, but to be noted.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? A bit more lethargic, but readily flares when presented with a mirror. After freeing him from his trap, readily gobbled 2 pellets.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? So as I go home.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Just pulled him from his tank, currently acclimating to hospital tank water in a cup. Hospital tank has 1g water, 1tsp Epsom salt and Stress Coat+ added. Slowly eyes dropping in water to Leroys cup.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/A

Attached Images

Adnamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #2 
Mar

Ugh, poor Leroy :(
One time my fishy got stuck in the filter, and I searched the whole tank before it dawned on me to check the little filter hole. I blocked it up that very day, and Moon has never been up there again. Luckily he was unhurt, but I think me rescuing him from that filter kinda bonded us.

Hopefully your Leroy heals up! I hate torn fins and it's really sad :(
It looks like all he has is torn fins, and that heals, so Leroy will be fine!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

For torn fins: I would treat with just warm, clean water. Lots of water changes. If it looks like an infection is setting in, I would treat with a gram negative antibiotic such as: API Triple Sulfa or API Furan 2 (or bifuran or Jungle Fungus Clear).

For the fuzzies: I would lower the water temp to about 76F (to slow down bacterial growth) and monitor it. If it looks like it's getting worse, I would treat immediately with a gram negative antibiotic such as: API Triple Sulfa or API Furan 2 (or bifuran or Jungle Fungus Clear).
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote