Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #1 
JacquelineAmber

What are some big problems with sororities?

I've heard awful stories when it comes to having betta sororities. So this is a subject that I really need to put a lot of thought in. I've been thinking about starting one for a while now, but I'm kinda scared. What are some common outbreaks what happen particularly in sororities?? I'm going to have 6 females four of which are imports. Also I'm not sure if I should have my sorority in a 10 gallon or 25. Any tips would be very appreciated. OH! And I've heard about people putting giant females into their sororities. I'm very iffy about it because I feel like they will be way too dominate. I mean, I'm even a scared to add a HMPK into the mix because the rest are halfmoons and I know they are a tad more aggressive.
JacquelineAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The biggest risk is that they don't get along and end up killing each other. If you follow all of the correct steps, however, this is unlikely. I would recommend using the 25g because size bettas in a ten gallon is quite overstocked and there wouldn't be much room to escape. Plant/decorate the tank very heavily and block lines of sight- basically, you should not be able to look through the left side of the tank and see through the right side. Giants can definatly work but they can also be iffy like you said, and if the giant decides to do damage it will do a LOT of damage.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #3 
bniebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
The biggest risk is that they don't get along and end up killing each other. If you follow all of the correct steps, however, this is unlikely. I would recommend using the 25g because size bettas in a ten gallon is quite overstocked and there wouldn't be much room to escape. Plant/decorate the tank very heavily and block lines of sight- basically, you should not be able to look through the left side of the tank and see through the right side. Giants can definatly work but they can also be iffy like you said, and if the giant decides to do damage it will do a LOT of damage.
I agree. My giant has been able to cohabitate with my sorority since I released everyone on monday. Things seem to be relatively peaceful with the occasional chase, and the giant has not attacked anyone. My smallest girl is 3/4-1 inch, so tiny compared to the giant. I think this really depends on individual personalities and the way you set up your tank. I highly recommend doing it the way matt said, this is my setup and it really seems to work. Also, the more girls you have, the more you can distribute aggression. I have 9 and that feels like a really good number at least for me. Don't be afraid, as long as you are doing it the right way, I think you will not regret it. Just know that sororities will challenge you and they are a lot of work, but you can do it!!
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #4 
bniebetta

Btw, just in case you are wondering, my giant is a HMPK import. My other two imports are HMPK average size. I have three VTS, average size, and one of them just recovered from Ich so she is a little weaker. I have only one HMDT, who is bigger than the other girls and smaller than the giant. My two smallest girls are CTs, one of whom seems to have just left fryhood. Crazy mix, but so far it is working out just fine. :)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #5 
JacquelineAmber

Oh wow! If I saw your tank in person I'd probably stare in awe at if for hours.
Yeah, I'm not too sure yet. One of my giants is such a cutie because of how interactive she is, but I don't think she could coexist with the others. She's a bit crazy, kind of like a puppy. I have the two in a separated tank and the other one got REALLY gravid for a while. Poor thing could barley swim. So I'm wondering if having them all together would make them more egg-bound?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #6 
bniebetta

I'm not sure... Most people seem to do okay so I'm sure it will be fine, but that's really a question for a mod or a more experienced member than I am haha
Old 05-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #7 
ShukiAi

I started my sorority in a 10 gallon tank, but I got the females when they were young and really small. I now have them in my 30 gallon tank.

And that brings up another issue...you may find you actually have a male mixed in with your females. I just found that I had a male the other day. >_>;; The good thing for me was that he was always peaceful with his ladies and he never attacked or killed any of them. He now has his own 2.5 gallon tank though. :P
ShukiAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #8 
Xeek

Just so you know, the bigger betta is also likely to get picked on by the smaller quicker more agile betta. The way it's worked in my sorority is the medium fish are on top, my largest female (3 inches) seems to be in the middle of the pecking order. She's the only one right now with beat up fins from attacks. She is very slow compared to the others. The smallest of my bettas never attack and always run away.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #9 
JacquelineAmber

Interesting.

Hmm, now I'm really reconsidering letting one of them be apart of the sorority .

I just got two imports today and I get the other two next week. I think I'll start trying to cycle the tank today, get to study my girls a little more, then another month see if everything's good to go!(:

If not, I think I'll just attempt to divide my tank. :P