Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #1 
SheilaandherBettas

Wink Rescue Strategy

Was at WalMart 2day.

Pushed way to the back I found a cute little blue crowntail in a really poopy cup. I took him over to the sink to change his water and got busted. Manager showed up out of nowhere. I got scolded, but batted my eyes innocently and said "I want to buy him, but I don't want to take home all that disgusting crud. Could you give him some clean water?"

The guy reluctantly did so (It looked like he didn't know how, as he fumbled about it, I thought we might lose the fish down the sink).

Moments later, the water was clean, and fish was in my cart. I had other shopping to do so I took him for a ride around the store. I knew I couldn't keep bringing these things home. Already have six. So before I left, I put him back on the shelf toward the front so he could be seen in his clean water. Then it occurred to me how much I accomplished in those few minutes....
  • I drew the manager's attention to the condition of the fish's living quarters. (now who's busted?)
  • I got the fish a water change and a better chance to be picked out of the crowd.
  • I think I have a new strategy for the WalMart Betta crisis.
BTW - Micky, my cooked spine guy, is out of rehab and doing well in the ten gallon (divided by 3). Can't believe how good he's doing. Loves his floating plants. I now wish I had a before picture, but at the time I didn't expect him to live, much less be able to swim enough to survive in a real tank. He's the cockiest one of the bunch. Pics attached (I hope).
Attached Images

SheilaandherBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #2 
Agent13
Reference Team

I got a free fish for my son today! He has a reputation for throwing every and anyone under the bus indignantly when he see's improper care. We went to our not so usual spot (Petsmart... we spend our money at the local Petco...loads of $). He brought to a manager a cup with a dead delta male and in a judgmental tone said "You guys killed him and I take better care of the bugs I feed my dragon then you do of your Betta's!" hahhahaha! I <3 my boy! They immediately cleaned all cups and threw fresh food in them and told my son to pick any Betta he wanted if it was Ok with me. And as we checked out...I said "see you soon... Like anytime!" ( as if a warning) tehehe
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #3 
SheilaandherBettas

Thumbs up

Hurray for you and your wonderful son!
SheilaandherBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread! I might have to do that to our Walmart Betta's as well! Unfortunately though, I don't think I could get away with speaking to a manager like that since I'm just a 20 year old college kid lol, besides I'm trying to get a job at either PetCo or Petsmart >< Sooo yeah, but those are super awesome stories! And it really made me feel better about the small things we can accomplish!

Kudos to you guys!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #5 
quietlythundering

I feel so much happier reading this thread. It's so full of win!
What I did last time was that I noticed a lot of empty cups, so I filled it new water and a bit of prime (which I carry with me in case) and transferred the fish into them. They looked a bit happier than before, no one caught me, and so I considered it a successful mission! :) This was also at a walmart, a new one, and the only one in Clovis that carries fish.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You carry Prime with you? I give you all the Kudos in the world! That's amazing and you have no idea how happy and fuzzy that makes me feel XD lol

All you people are wonderful and awesome and making such a difference in Betta's lives!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #7 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlythundering View Post
I feel so much happier reading this thread. It's so full of win!
What I did last time was that I noticed a lot of empty cups, so I filled it new water and a bit of prime (which I carry with me in case) and transferred the fish into them. They looked a bit happier than before, no one caught me, and so I considered it a successful mission! :) This was also at a walmart, a new one, and the only one in Clovis that carries fish.
Thats a great idea. I have to exchange some heaters today. Maybe I'll carry this while my son distracts them. They get worried when he enters the store and usually give him a full audience..hahha!
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote