Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS pellets, weekly blood worm
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 5 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? clamped fins, looks full in stomach area
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? sits at the bottom
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? fasted him for 4 days but was worried so gave him a small snack today
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? about 8.5 mos

I have a betta with a sensitive stomach who usually only will poop once a week. It's been a week now and he's been sitting at the bottom with clamped fins mostly but will still swim around and interact with me. He doesn't have swim bladder issues or floating issues but looks very full and just looks like he doesn't feel well but has no signs of any sickness other than this. I fasted him for 4 days and still nothing. Today was day 5 and I was worried that I was doing more harm than good so I gave him 6 nls pellets (he's a giant so this is only half a meal for him). He practically attacked the food, but looks more full now and is more clamped than before sitting on the bottom. I'm afraid to keep fasting him but obviously I cannot just keep giving him more food. This has happened in the past but he doesn't usually have clamped fins.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Starfish1; 05-03-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #2 
crystalicethorn

Usually when a betta flares it poops, so maybe if you hold a mirror in front of it, it may flare and hopefully get slightly better. I havent had any experiences like this but i hope it helps a bit.
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

I've heard that frozen daphnia can help resolve constipation and bloating.

You could also consider using a low dosage of Epsom salt. It has a laxative effect.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #4 
charislynne

Just so you know, don't feed your beta any more food than the size of it's eyeball per feeding time. It's stomach is as big as it's eye. I feed my betta 2 times a day.
charislynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #5 
rubinthebetta

I agree with charislynne. Starfish, how many pellets does your betta get per day/feeding?
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Starfish1 sorry your guy is not feeling well. Could you get a picture of him so we can have a look him, that would help us see his tummy and clamping.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #7 
Starfish1

Thumbs up

thanks everyone!

I had forgotten about the flare trick. I put another male next to him during a water change and he got really mad and flared and swam quickly around the tank and did poop a little but not a whole lot.

He's a giant so I've been feeding him between 10-12 NLS pellets a day. I get worried about not feeding him enough because he's like 3 times the size of my other males.

I had put IAL in his tank two water changes ago and right after that he started clamping his fins and then I noticed his stomach. I changed 60% of the water and he didn't look any different so that was when I posted on here but yesterday I did another 50% water change and now he's active again and not clamped and barely sitting on the bottom. I fed him 6 pellets today because he's been fasting most of the week, he's still not going regularly but at least half the problem is solved.

What dose of epsom salt could I use if I end up needing to use it?

Also, I have freeze dried daphnia, would that work? I could add that in one day a week. I'm worred about using frozen foods because I've heard things about parasites, etc. coming from them.

Last edited by Starfish1; 05-05-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote