Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #41 
ANHEL123

those white bumps are they got bigger ? What is the temperature in the tank right now? Sometimes heavy breathing can be due to gill flukes. How much of the aquarium salt did you add, did you acclimate him to the new temperature? You saying that heavy breathing just happened after water change?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #42 
scoobie

His laying in the bottom started after the 100% water change. Then I replaced about 3 gallons and then he floated up to the top that's when I noticed his breathing was heavier. The water temp is 78 that is what it stays at. I just checked on him and he is laying in the bottom again. He floats to the top for a little bit then just slowly sinks to the bottom. I know its been at least 30 days since he's eaten. What did you think about the white spots?
After the first water change, he swam straight to the thermometer and kept ramming it..then swam off
I added about 2 1/2 teaspoons of aquarium salt and did acclimate him. The bumps came out of no where, it started with one and today he has 2

Last edited by scoobie; 05-14-2013 at 12:35 PM.
scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #43 
AyalaCookiejar

If it were not for those bumps, I would recommend epsom salt instead of AQ salt. Unfortunately, I have no clue what those could be. I would PM Sakura8 and ask her to look at this thread.

It sounds like he's got some internal issues. His swim bladder is obviously very irregulated. Honestly, it sounds just like my CT who passed away last wednesday. He always had SBD and floated but a few days before he passed I noticed he would sometimes sink to the bottom and gasp heavily. I had to move him to a QT container so that he could reach the surface.

My CT was also blind though, and we never figured out EXACTLY what caused all his problems. It was merely speculation. At first I thought he was very sick when he went blind and wouldn't eat, lol.

I can't tell you what's causing everything exactly but he obviously has got more than one issue going on right now. It sounds like his immune system is incredibly compromised and it's probably the reason he's getting worse. I don't think it's your fault.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #44 
scoobie

I just sent a message to Sakura8. Thank you for your help, he's just laying in the bottom in a curved position. I'm afraid he's dying.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #45 
Sakura8

Hi scoobie. I'm glad you were able to help the little guy but unfortunately, he sounds like the conditions he was kept in prior have taken a definite toll on him. From your descriptions of his conditions and of his symptoms before you rescued him, he most likely has extremely severe ammonia poisoning and that has probably pretty much killed any appetite. The ammonia poisoning has probably also led to a secondary bacteria infection and what sounds like possible ich as well. :( Poor guy.

You've been getting some very good advice from everyone so there's not too much I can add. If it looks like he is having some trouble rising to the surface, you may want to lower the water level.

In regards to the floating - if the temperature of the replacement water wasn't similar to the water you took out, this can cause a temporary buoyancy problem that usually corrects itself as the temps equalize.

I would also suggest switching to epsom salt, 1 tsp per gallon. Magnesium sulfate from the pharmaceutical section of most stores. No added dyes or scents. This will help with his internal problems, which at this moment I think are more serious than any possible ich.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #46 
Randi b

Scoobie see if you can indices him to eat with some bloodworms him not eating is also adding to his not getting any better malnutrition sounds like another one of his problems it couldn't hurt to try they come in the frozen section of your local pet stores just thaw and rinse before you try to give him a few
Randi b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #47 
Randi b

Also a lot of extra meds in the tank makes it harder for him to breath do you have a good airflow going for him the warmer the water the less oxygen plus meds complicates the O2 in the water
Randi b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #48 
scoobie

I don't want him to die. Yesterday I didn't put any meds in his tank. Only water conditioner and aquarium salt. Today I did add the fungal fizz tablet. He's still at the bottom. I'm afraid he's dying a slow death and he's suffering. But I don't want to think that way I want to keep trying. I even tried putting a pea in the tank last night he doesn't even try or care. I will go get the es and bloodworms today. thank you everyone...Teresa
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #49 
aquagreen

Awww, good luck. :( This is so awful. Poor baby. You're doing your best, though. Sending you good wishes.
aquagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #50 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well he is no longer suffering much because of you! You saved him and gave him a better life, if he could talk I'm sure he'd be thanking you. Sometimes they are just too far gone to save them, but knowing that you did all you can to help him is wonderful! I'm not saving give up, not by any means, but at least you are making him as comfortable as you possible can! And that's great of you :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote