Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #1 
crowntaillove3

One Month To Plan!

Hey, guys! I want to turn my NP 15 gallon tank (the Aqueon column) into a planted tank. I have heard that they are easier to maintain after about one to two months (besides trimming). I have four male guppies, three long finned red minor tetras, one dwarf gourami, and two golden mystery snails. Here is a picture of the tank:

Name:  DSC00227.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  36.9 KB

I know it is pretty bare... There used to be a tall, leafy plant in the back-left and a little tree in the front-left. I had to transfer those plants into a different tank. I want to take my tank the next step, but I have no idea what to do. I've been reading the sticky on planted tanks, but I need your opinion as to what kind of plants I should do. I know I want to do some floating plants for my gourami, but I want you guys to give me your two cents on how I can make this the best planted tank ever (not really), but the best it can be. Does anyone have the same model tank that I do and has it planted? Thanks! BTW I have to get this done in 4 months.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #2 
crowntaillove3

After doing some more research, I know the plants that I want! I am aware that I will not be able to have all of these, but here is a list of my choices:
Anacharis
Moneywart
Water Wisteria
Corkscrew Vall.
Hornwort
Green Cabomba

My favorites are the moneywart and the anacharis. Which of these would you guys recommend for my tank? Please share success stories with any of these plants. And is there any way that I would be able to have an Umbrella plant? I know that these things can grow to be six feet tall, but would I be able to trim it or something? Thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #3 
Jexx

both of your faves are super easy! you won't need to change your substrate at all! get some anubias for a foreground plant
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #4 
crowntaillove3

Really? Great!!! Will I be able to get any of the others?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #5 
crowntaillove3

Are any of the others okay in the gravel I have now? Which ones will I have to get soil/another substrate for?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #6 
Jexx

I believe all of them would be fine with your current substrate
Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #7 
VJM

With that tank, some regular vals would be awesome in back. Rotala is also really easy. I didn't see what you are doing about light, but you need some power to get all the way to the bottom.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #8 
crowntaillove3

I also want to turn my 6 gallon tall into a planted tank (in my signature it is the 2 gallon bowl with the one pregnant guppy, she is really in a 6 gallon tall tank). I want to use green cabomba. I guess I just woke up today and said, I want to plant my tanks this summer! I'm soooo excited that they can all go into my rocks! Thanks for all of the help. And the light is just the one the tank came with. I'll be posting more details on that soon!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #9 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
With that tank, some regular vals would be awesome in back. Rotala is also really easy. I didn't see what you are doing about light, but you need some power to get all the way to the bottom.
This is true. you will need higher wattage lights in order to achieve moderate light.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #10 
Jexx

i think all of these plants mainly take nutrients from the water column. you'll want flourish comprehensive for sure. maybe some root tabs too. soil isn't necessary though.