Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #1 
Adnamac

Failure of completly epic proportions...

So I have a wonderful failure to share. Yes, it's lengthy...I can be pretty wordy.

It begins like most aquarium based stories with a ten gallon tank. Now today I look at this tank and say 'I have the time, I have the need items...let's make up that 3-section divided tank I've been dreaming of!'

And so I set to work. Make the dividers, set the substrate(s) and all the decoration, set the filter, heater and thermometer. I step back, I look. It's pretty. I am pleased.

Grab my camera, because it is pretty and I am pleased and I'd like to share it.

I snap the shot. Off goes my shutter...and then the distinct sound of CRACKING GLASS and then RUNNING WATER.

I'm stunned for a moment as I watch the water level swiftly drop. Then I grab the nearest, largest bucket and start bailing out whatever I can.

So...what happened to my tank?

When I set the tank up, I failed to noticed that the plug for the filter was tucked underneath it. After adding the water the weight beared down and...well...

So...fellow fishie lovers...I now have two questions...well, three...questions...

Do I laugh, or do I cry? and Does anyone else have some kind of epic fail story to share so I don't feel like such a nitwit? :(

Oh, and that one and only picture I took before failure...
Attached Images

Adnamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #2 
Minnieservis

I don't have a similar story unfortunately, but that was a very pretty set up before the accident. I enjoy reading your posts, they're always very funny and detailed :)
Minnieservis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #3 
xShainax

Thank FSM that there were no fish in there
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #4 
ShukiAi

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear about your tank mishap! How sad and frustrating! Your tank looked lovely though.

I have a story kind of like yours. I recently got my 30 gallon tank off Craigslist and the silicone inside was older and had some mold underneith. Well, after some research I decided to re-seal the tank. Everything was going great...all the old silicone came off nicely, I started sealing with new silicone... And then I RAN OUT OF SILICONE!
Well, actually my caulking gun messed up the silicone tube. Instead of the silicone coming out of the end like it was supposed to, it started coming out the back! I was so frustrated and upset, I had silicone ALL over, and I couldn't finish the tank. I was SO defeated. Especially since you're not supposed to put new silicone over old. So it wasn't like I could just go out and buy another tube the next day and keep going.
So after a few days I had to redo everything from the start. At least I had cooled down and everything went faster because I had already done it and knew what I was doing. And knock on wood, I haven't had any leaks! XD;;

So yeah, that's my story. :P I know how frustrating it can be when you get something finished (or partly finished) and it gets ruined. Hopefully you can get another tank and make it just as pretty as what you have in the picture. :)
ShukiAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #5 
Adnamac

@Minnie: Thank you, on all counts. :)

@xShainax True...though I'm not sure what FSM stands for. Some lingo is still new to me!

@ShukiThat is really frustrating, but I'm glad to hear it worked out in the end. :) I do fully intend on getting another tank, and it will probably have about that same set-up. With one difference...NO filter cords underneath!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #6 
xShainax

FSM stands for Flying Spaghetti Monster. It's a religion. ;)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #7 
isochronism

No wonder I have been going crazy trying to figure out all the computer abbreviations. I'll never learn them all!!!!

Last edited by isochronism; 05-03-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: edit
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #8 
Adnamac

xShainax: Ah! I have heard of this deity...I did know how that he was a patron of bettas, however!

@iso: Just when you've got 90% figured out...three dozen more are come up with.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #9 
wish4coner

I had a chi, that I had bought a year ago. It was supposed to be one of the most sturdy types. Well, thankfully, I had taken my betta out for breeding. I was changing the water and heard this awful sound of running water. I turned around and...a crack had gone from the top left corner, all the way to the lower bottom left. Let's just say, I rent and, was panicking to get the water up. I have no clue why it cracked. There was nothing even in that corner. It was never hit...but, UGH! Anyway, since the glass is so thick, and I didn't want to risk plugging it and missing a sharp end..it will now be a very expensive, nice planted in my yard :) UGH!
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #10 
xShainax

I had a nice glass 2 gallon bowl and it developed a crack on the bottom of it. I was filling it for a QT and it cracked. I am so glad I had no betta in it