Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #1 
nav2008

HELP! new betta, first female... a few questions!

She is from walmart (I went to look at the bettas to see if any looked sickly and they appeared to have a new shipment, so many fish!, but i saw about 6 young females next to the males!) I saw her and could not resist, she is pearly white and translucent with purply blue fins and so tiny. I am positive that she is still very young, she is so small, her body and fins are about 1/3 the size of my males body alone not counting fins. I am assuming she is a vieltail because thats what all the males were but how can i tell? how much do i feed her? my male gets 4 hikari betta bio gold pellets a day... how many should i give her? ho do i tell how old she is? and can i put their tanks next to each others where they can see the other fish? my male flares alot would they get stressed? what should i do? any tips are welcome

this topic was also posted on ultimatebettas.com :) thanks for reading.
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had some of the same questions when I got my female. I didn't know if feeding her the same as my boys was ok, but I did it anyway. It hasn't seemed to hurt her. She's so active. I imagine your female is very active, too.I feed all my bettas 2 pellets in the morning and two in the evening. And they get their snacks once or twice a week. I keep my female's bowl separate from the boys but had them next to each other during my house remodeling. I didn't know if keeping them all next to each other would keep everyone all excited. Haha. It didn't seem to bother them tho.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #3 
nav2008

She is very curious... even more than him but i have a piece of paper between their bowls because he is VERY active and a bit aggressive.... he flares at everything including me... he flared at a necklace that was too close to his tank once. She is so small though i have to cut her pellets in half and she still wont eat... she spits them out. i feed my male the same as yours. should i try bloodworms with her or would that make it worse for when she does have to eat pellets? I found a chart on betta growth and I think shes only about 7 weeks old.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=HPIM0348.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0/HPIM0352.jpg
Old 08-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #4 
tmz

congrats on your adorable little girl!! =D
when i got my female she was very tiny, but extremely active, so i fed her two pellets in the morning and one at night.
i alternated pellets with flakes too because i noticed she could actually fit flakes into her mouth. i took like a single flake and ground it into a fine powder in my hand before i gave it to her.

it's fun to watch little bettas grow and develop too. mine keeps getting new random colors.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #5 
Kim

I would try flakes. They are softer, and easier for smaller bettas to eat. Bettamin is a good brand. Have fun with your new betta :D !
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #6 
nav2008

alright, thanks :) and yeah... she had dark purpleish blue fins when i got her, then 5 hours later they were solid red, then this mornign they were turning blue again lol... im curious as to what color she will turn.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would agree with trying the flakes, and when she gets bigger maybe try some pellets. I wonder if you could feed her some crushed up bloodworms. She's so little and so cute!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #8 
nav2008

i cut one pellet in half and it split into 4... she ate that right up :) im gonna try a few other things also. how can you tell she is a female when she is that small? and she has changed color yet again lol now she is getting some slight coloring to her body but you have to have a flash light on her to see it.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Can you tell if she has an egg spot?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #10 
nav2008

no I cant :( she is very small you can barley see her ventral fin at the moment... its so skinny. its night here so i cant go check until morning... its small and white ? or can it be different colors..? she is mostly white so i suppose that would be normal for her (hopefully a her) at least....