Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #1 
PersonalityUnknown

What are these things?

I had this super long post that was nice and detailed and because my boyfriend mocked me, I accidentally closed out the page and POOF went my post.

SO IN A NUTSHELL:
There are little white things in my tank, attached to the glass. They're about as thin as a strand of thin hair, and about 2mm long.

One of my two betta's died this morning. I'm really worried about the health of my betta.

2.5g, no filter, no heater, 1 banana plant, real sea shells...

PH 7.6
Ammonia was a forest green color..
Nitrates were slightly elevated
~Before 50% water change~
PersonalityUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Those worms are most likely harmless. I get them on my glass and believe they are detritus worms.

What test kit are you using? Forest green may be good or bad depending on your test kit. If you are using API liquid test that would be quite a dangerous level and could explain why one of your bettas died. Do you have an actual reading?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #3 
Otterfun

when was your last WC?
Forest green is not a good sign for ammonia, it can kill your betta.
as for the 2mm think hair thing, is it black or white? Does it have a triangular head like a worm? picture will be helpful.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #4 
PersonalityUnknown

Pretty sure my store uses API liquids. I don't remember the reading, but I remember it was close to the end of the spectrum.

My last water change was probably last week. I was going to do a water change today after work, regardless... I guess with the 2 betta's in the small 2.5 I should have done it sooner :(

The wormy things are white, I can't really tell what their head looks like; they're super small and my phone can't capture a clear photo.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I am assuming that the 2.5 gallon was divided?

You really should invest in your own test kit for ammonia. For an API test kit, forest green would mean that the ammonia was at dangerously high levels and is probably why your betta died. You cannot tell what the ammonia level in your water is without a test kit, and some bettas can endure near fatal levels for a while before succumbing.

What is your current water change schedule? Definitely sounds like you are not doing nearly enough water changes. A 2.5 gallon is not very big and so needs more than once a week changes unfortunately.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #6 
PersonalityUnknown

Best picture I could muster. That fat looking white thing is what I'm talking about ):
Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #7 
PersonalityUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I am assuming that the 2.5 gallon was divided?

You really should invest in your own test kit for ammonia. For an API test kit, forest green would mean that the ammonia was at dangerously high levels and is probably why your betta died. You cannot tell what the ammonia level in your water is without a test kit, and some bettas can endure near fatal levels for a while before succumbing.

What is your current water change schedule? Definitely sounds like you are not doing nearly enough water changes. A 2.5 gallon is not very big and so needs more than once a week changes unfortunately.
Yeah, it has slots for 3rd partitions. I had adopted my 2nd betta before knowing I needed a bigger space if I wanted two. So he was stuck in 1/3rd of the tank for about a week and a half ):
He was supposed to go to a friend a few hours after I found him belly up, where he would have been in a nice ~2g planted vase...

I don't have a schedule yet, I wanted to do water changes maybe every Tuesday and Thursday.. I haven't had too much time to really think about it. Having a betta is still pretty new. ): At the end of the month I'll *hopefully* be getting a 10g to have a small community tank with my baby...
Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #8 
Kithy

Are you over feeding by chance? Sometimes worms like these are always present but don't flourish unless there's excess food. I had them in my 55 :X
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #9 
PersonalityUnknown

I don't think I do. D: I don't try to. I think there might be 4-5 uneaten pellets at the floor but that's about it... I hope. I don't have a gravel vac yet (I'm going to get one once I get my 10g...) so I can't vacuum up the junk ):
Old 05-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah those tanks are extremely misleading. An experienced fishkeeper may be able to make them work, but for a newcomer like you it can lead to disaster because you need to be really on top of water changes.

That worm looks like it could possibly be planaria. I believe it is caused by overfeeding or excess food in the substrate/on the bottom of the tank. This could be linked to your current water change schedule.

You definitely need to do at least 2-3 water changes (a couple of 50% and one 100% water change) a week in a 2.5 gallon. However, each tank is unique and so you may need to adjust your water change schedule to suit your tank.

Does your betta have a heater? I forgot to ask. This is also an important part of keeping a betta healthy as they do require a stable temperature of around 78-82 degrees.

I definitely recommend picking up an API ammonia test kit. It is essential that new owners learn and understand the basics of water chemistry as poor water quality is perhaps the biggest killer of ornamental fish.