Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #21 
PersonalityUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I cannot stress how important heaters are. Bettas are tropical fish and need a heater to thrive. Unless your house is kept consistently at 80-82 degrees 24 hours a day, your betta is going to suffer from a inappropriate and fluctuating water temperature. This can lead to stress, disease and sometimes if the water temperature drops too low, even death.

I have not owned a small tank like that in a while. You may be able to get away with two 100% water changes a week. However, without test kits and without knowing the quality of your actual source water I cannot say with full confidence that this is enough.
I know, I know. There's nothing I can do about it right now though. I have a full time job at barely above minimum wage. Rent, electricity, cable, phone and internet bills... bed bill and now a car payment to help my bf (practically my fiancee at this point, just without the ring to prove it...) out with. 2 dogs and ourself to feed... Like I said, at the end of the month I'll be getting the 10g Aqueon kit that comes with a heater. The water tempature never drops below 75 from what I've seen on my sticker thermometer. It's usually between 75-82 depending on how high the building's heat is on and if my bf leaves the damn window closed or not.
PersonalityUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #22 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonalityUnknown View Post
I know, I know. There's nothing I can do about it right now though. I have a full time job at barely above minimum wage. Rent, electricity, cable, phone and internet bills... bed bill and now a car payment to help my bf (practically my fiancee at this point, just without the ring to prove it...) out with. 2 dogs and ourself to feed... Like I said, at the end of the month I'll be getting the 10g Aqueon kit that comes with a heater. The water tempature never drops below 75 from what I've seen on my sticker thermometer. It's usually between 75-82 depending on how high the building's heat is on and if my bf leaves the damn window closed or not.
Try wrapping towels around the tank for now to keep the heat you can in.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

You mentioned the 10 gallon tank, is there anyway you can beg your boyfriend to spring for a heater? It will go a long way towards helping your current betta (Bubbles is it?) to stay healthy.

Otherwise, keep the tank in the warmest part of the house where it is out of any drafts.

Towels can help keep the heat in, but so can polystyrene sheets. Both methods will help at least retain as much heat as possible.

I wasn't intending to sound mean as I myself have not had a job in a couple of years (few personal issues I have needed to iron out) and have dwindled my savings down to practically nothing. So I definitely understand priorities.

If a heater is completely out of the question, just try and keep the temperature as stable as you can and do the necessary water changes. Probably the most important thing right now is getting rid of any ammonia from your tank. Even 0.25ppm is enough to cause irritation to fish as it is a very caustic.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #24 
PersonalityUnknown

The warmest area in my apartment is going to be over the radiator which is where the window is. The window my boyfriend loves to open... So I don't know how well that'll work out and if I have an Algae bloom I'll just die. Right now the tank is at about 77 degrees and it's about in the middle of the apartment.

My bf want's nothing to do with Bubbles, he didn't want him in the first place (I kinda went over his head on it.)... The idea behind getting the 10g at the end of the month is for me to save a small bit of my paycheck every week to put aside for the tank.

I'll bring in another sample of my water to work tomorrow to test my levels and see where they are. Would you guys be able to suggest my next water change date and amount if I can get my levels tomorrow?

Would high ammonia be a reason for my betta to be a spaz? Ever since I got him he's been hyper, always swimming, never really settling down. He hasn't made a real bubble nest yet... Maybe I should take a video to show?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #25 
LittleBettaFish

Sounds like he shouldn't be too cold then until you can save enough to get the heater. We are going into winter here so forget that it probably is getting warmer over there.

I have found that high ammonia usually makes fish more skittish and they will sometimes flash or scratch themselves because of the irritation. I had issues with ammonia in one of my tanks for a little while and the fish became very shy and lethargic and showed quite prominent burns on their tails until I got it back under control.

Ask for exact numbers if you can on all of your readings. That should help us understand what kind of condition your water is in.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #26 
PersonalityUnknown

Okay, I'll test my water first thing when I get into the store.

Here's Bubbles video. It would have been longer but I ran out of space on my phone. I need to purge a lot of stuff on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1Fk6HStto
Old 05-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #27 
LittleBettaFish

The constant twitching and jerky movements makes me think that the ammonia may be causing some irritation.

A small water change if you have time now couldn't hurt.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #28 
PersonalityUnknown

Do you think I should just do a 100% water change now?? How should I go about cleaning the tank? Err, I mean the gravel. Should I rinse it out or will that take out the good bacteria? I only have water conditioner so idk what to do ):
Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #29 
LittleBettaFish

Don't worry about killing off good bacteria. The type of beneficial bacteria colonises almost predominately in the filter of a tank because it needs a high oxygen environment to survive.

In a tank with no filter there is no cycle to be concerned about and doing 100% water changes is no issue.

I would cup your male, do a 100% water change, rinse all your gravel out in some tap water (using a colander could help sift out the waste and uneaten food) and then put everything back in. However, be very careful to acclimatise your male betta to the new water conditions. You should float his cup around in the tank until the water temperature stabilises and slowly add new tank water to his cup for around 10-15 minutes just so it is not a massive shock to his system to be dumped back in.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #30 
PersonalityUnknown

Just finished the water change, I'm floating him in a bag now. In about 5 mins or so I'll add some of his new water to the bag and take it from there. hopefully this will be a lot better than it was... I can't wait to get my 10g so I don't have to worry so much.

I ran out of water conditioner ): I bought a tiny thing thinking he'd live in a jar and I wouldn't have to really use it too much. I guess I'll be buying the big thing of stress coat, that way it'll last me a long while.