Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #11 
NeptunesMom

I resist by knowing that I have 4 bettas at home that need my love and attention and I have no more time to spread out the love. Now, once summer comes and I'm done with school for the year... watch out. I tend to get a little carried away.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #12 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Haha sometimes I go and plead my case to my mum as she likes bettas and so she can be sympathetic to my plight. Once I get a job again I am going to be in debt to her forever.

Luckily for me, I like rarer species of wild betta so I don't have to go to every shop and want to take all the bettas home. However, I find it extremely hard to resist young cambodian CT/VT females. Especially if they are getting beaten up in the fish store display tank.
That's definitely a plus then. If you liked VT males a TON you'd be in trouble, I think!

Man, someday I want to get a couple of wilds *-*
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #13 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I agree! haha, yeah I'm pretty sure I'm using my last 4 dollars on that guy, he was just so gorgeous!!!!! I need to boot up my double tail collection anyway, I've only got one!
Gotta have at least two of each
Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
Gotta have at least two of each
I know! I'm slacking!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

I think it is hard for betta owners in general to resist bettas, particularly those being displayed in squalid conditions, because bettas do have such beauty and personality. I'm sure we have all had that moment when we've connected with a betta and had to have it no matter what. It just does not seem to happen a lot with other species of fish.

I just think it is such a waste when you see a previously beautiful betta rotting away in a jar or cup when you know how different it could be if it was cared for correctly.

I always wonder how you get completely out of bettas. I don't think I ever could. There is just something about them. Makes them irresistible haha.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #16 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I walked into petsmart yesterday and there was this adorable little hm or hmpk dragonscale girl... I could not leave her in her tiny, disgusting, blue cup knowing that she would, if I didn't buy her, end up dead in that cup or in a cold bowl for the rest of her life. Lol. Lets just say that she is now in quarantine ^_^
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #17 
Kithy

I think it would be way too hard to just "escape" bettas entirely. They're just so full of personality and can give so much back to you. I always worry that by passing up bettas that they'll go to bad homes but I just can't save them all :< So sad.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So much truth in your words LBF :D

The double tail I want is from my LFS, he's in with two other male plakats (previously thought to be girls, even I had difficulties sexing them) and some rainbow fish, mollies, and three small catfish along with a stray oto or two. It's also unheated at the moment because they are just starting up right now. If this were a different store I would have a fit but she's doing the best she can with so little, and she also knows these aren't ideal and nor will they be staying like this for long. I even donated two of my old glass bowls that I'll never use again and some random gravel that I was given free. She was so thankful for that, I really hope I can get a job with her because she does care so much and will actually refuse you a fish if you don't know what you're doing but she also educates as well which I believe is the most important!

Buuut anywho, he just looked so cold in that tank, I couldn't help thinking of ten different ways I could divide my tanks lol I think I will get him in the coming week (see, no willpower) because I know I could give him a wonderful home :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #19 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I walked into petsmart yesterday and there was this adorable little hm or hmpk dragonscale girl... I could not leave her in her tiny, disgusting, blue cup knowing that she would, if I didn't buy her, end up dead in that cup or in a cold bowl for the rest of her life. Lol. Lets just say that she is now in quarantine ^_^
Awww :3 Glad you could get her!! Very awesome to be able to save at least one betta. May not be able to change the whole betta world but you really changed the world for that one betta!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #20 
LucidSong

Totally just happened with me a few days ago in a WalMart. This beautiful VT male who I thought was red white and purple, who after being in clean water for about 3.5 seconds turned this really vibrant red white and blue. He is simply beautiful and he did the whole puppy dog eye thing and flard and jumped around in his cup when I wad looking at him. I took him home and hid him for a few days till I could convince my gma to let me have another. XD
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote