Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #1 
PupPetta

Not sure if I should be concerned!

Hello,

I have the sweetest betta, he's always moving around and exploring everything in his tank. His mood has not changed the slightest bit which gives me hope that there is nothing wrong with him, however today I noticed something weird that slightly resembled that disease where the fins turn gray and consume the fish.

He has a very small tip of his fin that is a very light grey right now and I never saw it before, and what concerns me the most is it has a yellow edge like in the pictures of the other disease. His mood is unchanged so should I be worried?

He also keeps getting tears in his fins but I have removed any surface that could possibly be causing tears. He currently has a smooth coffee mug, a heater, a java fern and a moss ball in his tank and it is bare bottom, so I can't figure out what is wrong with his fins, and I know it is not tailbiting!

Also, I don't think he is a marble but he has developed a few more splotches of dark purple/red on his body. I'm not concerned with this, I know it is a part of his coloration but maybe the strange spot is just another change??

I know I should post that survey so you guys can get an understanding of my situation but I don't have a lot of time to post right now, and I know my water parameters are good. So:

Size: 2 Gallon
Water changes: 3 times a week, two 50% one 100%
Temp: 78 degrees
No increase in ammonia or any other harmful chemical as he gets a water change almost every other day.
No mood change, just concerned with a tiny grey spot with a yellow edge to it.
PupPetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello PupPetta...sounds like your taking good care of him. Do you think you could pet a picture of the area where you are concerned about so we can have look ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Following this. Looks like it could also be fin rot?

Tears can also come from flaring too hard, I assume he is the betta in your profile pic? And I also assume he is a Halfmoon? If so, HM's are very vulnerable to blowing out and tearing their fins. But anywho I'll wait until you can comment more and show us a picture :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #4 
PupPetta

Here are some pics. Kind of hard to see in the image but I did my best to highlight the area. Yes he is a halfmoon. I thought it must be fin blow outs but as you can see from the picture its pretty bad, and this is a week after the last one. I can't figure out what would be causing him to flare, I never see it during the day so I think it must be something happening at night. I've already discussed that in a different forum, I reduced the amount of light from his heater and so far haven't seen a knew one.

I honestly hope it's just fin rot, but he has such clean water I have a hard time believing he could develop finrot.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It looks like it's just his coloration to me. Do you have a pic from before this so we can compare a bit? Otherwise warm, clean water with some Stress Coat will help him to heal up :)
Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #6 
PupPetta

I hope that's all, but in person it definitely appears grey. Could it be a little discoloration from regrowth? This is him a week ago.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hmm that's weird. well new growth is going to be either white or clear, I've never heard about it being grey before so I'm a bit stumped on this one!

I think you should PM Sakura8 about it since she is the OP of that graphite disease thing that you were talking about earlier.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He is beautiful Betta. It could be regrowth , I dont have much experience with these type of issues . I would keep a close eye on that area to see if its getting any bigger or spreading and also keep his water clean and warm and use the Stress Coat as lilnaugrim has advised .
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #9 
PupPetta

This morning the spot has turned pink, interesting but I'm not too concerned anymore as long as its not grey!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Interesting! He probably has a splash of the Marble gene so he could change colors unexpectedly. I also find that new growth isn't always the same as it had been before it was torn or eaten, but each fish is different! I'd just keep an eye on it :)