Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #1 
bettalover

My betta fell into the sink of sudsy water

Helllllp!!! I was getting ready to change the water in my fish bowl and accidently hit the side of the bowl which made a gaping hole in the bowl. The fish slid out with the water as it ran over into the sink. It all happened so fast. The fish was stuck in the drain hole and I had a hard time getting him out to place him in another container. When I did he was moving lifelessly and struggling to get oxygen. He has managed to revive himself somewhat (I guess). However I want to know what can I do to make sure I keep him around longer? How can I treat him for all that he has been through? [/img]
bettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a similar situation where a neighbor was helping me change my betta's water and she dumped him into a dirty dishpan (on purpose, I think) It wasn't full of soapy water though, and he was fine. Just keep the water clean and keep an eye on him. Someone else here on the forum should be better able to advise you on whether he needs any meds or not. Good luck with your betta.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #3 
tmz

oh my god! thats TERRIBLE D=
liek worst case scenerio terrible
i've cracked one of my tanks too...
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #4 
JouteiMike

In addition to what has been said about keeping his water clean, a little bettafix could help heal him faster if he got a little scraped up from the drain or broken glass.

Keep us posted on his progress.
JouteiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree about the bettafix. It could help keep him from getting an infection.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #6 
okiemavis

I'd imagine he's stinging a bit and has irritated gills and such from the soap. +1 for bettafix or melafix
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #7 
TheBettaholic

I havn't had any experience with melafix (or bettafix, which is a dilute version) But others have had bad experiences with it, burning the betta's labrynth organ and 'melting' their fins. Personally I would just make sure he has very clean water, IAL if you have it, and maybe a pinch of salt.
Hope your little guy pulls through :(
TheBettaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #8 
iamntbatman

Can't say I've ever heard of Melafix burning away a fish's gills or fins. I swear by the stuff. I *have* heard that if you severely overdose it, since it's an oil you can create an oil film over the surface of your water which can restrict oxygen exchange. I think if you follow the instructions carefully, you should be fine. I've used a combination of Melafix and Pimafix for fin rot on a couple of occasions now with great success. I wouldn't worry about the Pimafix as there's no sign of infection just yet, but a little Melafix wouldn't hurt.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:58 AM   #9 
onefish2fish

this wont help or solve something that already happened and im sure you didnt purposely do it, but for next time, try taking your time and/or being alittle more careful?
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have used bettafix before for finrot and had success with it. I never had any problem with it hurting my fish.