Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #1 
FrightyDog

How to stock 5 gallon betta tank

I have one AMAZING betta fish. Since he is my first betta fish, his name is Alpha. I love him to much! He swims every day all around! Eats all his food! and the occasional gill flare! He also follows me as I walk in and out of my room! Anyways I hate his conditions right now! He is in a 1 gallon bowl unfiltered. I love him to death so I am going to soon get a 5 gallon tank for him! However I want to do it right! That means wait time for the tanks cycle and everything! I however also want to add tankmates so...what do i get? I know inverts are a good choice if he doesn't attack them..In the one gallon i put in one shrimp fist then Alpha. Alpha never attacked him, but i put 2 more after and alpha attacked them so I think it's a territory thing with him. I have heards otos, snails, and shrimp work. But for a tank that size how many? I also want it heavily planted so the little guy feels at home :)
Edit: I also may be able to upgrade to a ten gallon, but that's pushing my luck...

Last edited by FrightyDog; 05-04-2013 at 12:09 AM.
FrightyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #2 
majesticstorm

Yeaa...I think there should only be a betta in a 5gal. At most 1-2 shrimps or a snail, but I wouldn't add another fish.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #3 
FrightyDog

And If It Were A Ten Gallon?
Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu

I have a Betta and 15-20 Red Cherry Shrimp in each heavily-planted 5-gallon tank.

I change 20-25% of the water once a week. I add the shrimp with the light off and leave it off for 10 minutes. I have lots of hiding places including these 4" and 5" shrimp towers and caves I bought from plecocaves.com. Handmade in the US and he can make what size you need in tubes (mine are 2.5").
Attached Images

RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #5 
FrightyDog

ThoseAre VeryCool Thanks I WillLookInto Those
Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #6 
ZZD

I have a 5gallon for my betta and I just planted it, but it was heavily decorated with plastic plants and a giant holey rock previously. I've had a snail and shrimp with him in the past, but I have bad luck with shrimp. Not with Fish Face, but just in general. So I added two little Panda Garras for cleaning and he ignores them completely. They're quick and able to fit places he can't even if he did care. I've never had any problems with Fish Face picking on tank mates of any sort, but I tend to keep them small.
ZZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #7 
Crowntails

I have a betta along with 5 Pygmy Cories in my 5.5 gallon. It's been doing great. Only do it if you have a backup tank though if the betta causes any issues.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #8 
FrightyDog

the only back up would be the one gallon tank he is currently in
Old 05-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #9 
JellOh

I just want to put out there that Pygmy Cories need at least 10 gallons and Panda Garras need at least 30 gallons.

I'd get a couple shrimp OR a snail. Snails have very high bioloads, and keeping too many will mean tons of water changes and some unhappy fish.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #10 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticstorm View Post
Yeaa...I think there should only be a betta in a 5gal. At most 1-2 shrimps or a snail, but I wouldn't add another fish.
Agreed. Cory cats and otos like to be in groups so they are out. One snail or a few shrimps.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote