Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #1 
Mozart282

What Am I Doing Wrong???

I have two female bettas and three male bettas, for the past like 3 months I've been trying different combinations of all of them, and it seems to be a reoccurring theme. The male blows his nest, and when both seem ready I release her from the floating breed thing. (and she has lots of hiding places in plants and stuff) But as soon as the male realizes that she is loose, he keeps attacking her violently and I get scared so I separate them immediately. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, any thoughts? Thanks a ton!
Mozart282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Did you condition both pairs before spawning? What makes you think the female is ready to be released in with the male? You really have to know what signals the female and male will give when they are ready before you let her out.

I assume you are also prepared for any fry you might get with live food cultures, a 20-30 gallon grow-out tank and jars for any males?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #3 
Mozart282

I did condition them, I and I have strong going food cultures of brine shrimp, microworms, and vinager eels. The female was displaying her white stripes, which made me think she was ready (was that wrong?) I have jars and multiple grow out tanks for the fry. So, umm, what am I doing wrong? Sorry, I still don't seem to know.....I also used the indian almond leaves, but some people say those don't do anything but I figured it was worth a shot.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

It could be just that you were releasing at the wrong moment. I have spawned splendens successfully a couple of times (male ate eggs though) but each time if I let the female out too early the male would chase her off and not allow her to approach the nest or even come out of hiding.

I've found when the female is extremely barred up and is literally crawling the walls trying to get to the male, this is probably the best time to release her. Usually when the female is ready to spawn, she will counter the male's aggressive displays with her own rather than just swim off. When I released my pair they started wrapping within maybe five or so minutes of being released.

It is sort of hard for me to explain. Maybe someone with more experience in the splendens department can help.

Good to hear you are prepared though. Sometimes on the breeding forum people have difficulty with spawning and then when you ask about their future plans for fry that may come about, they have none.

Also how did you condition them? And for how long?

Last edited by LittleBettaFish; 05-10-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Added last sentence.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #5 
Mozart282

That seems logical, I'm a little scared to do anything now though cuz I'd hate to have something go wrong and it be my fault ;( I'll see if I can pin point a better release time, I did see them both flaring at each other, like even the girl had her gills flared, maybe times like that'd be better. Thanks :)
Old 05-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #6 
Mozart282

Oh and I only conditioned them for like 2 weeks though, I wasn't sure on how long for that, hmm.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #7 
Mozart282

Oops sorry I keep missing things lol, I conditioned them with brine shrimp, and then I read somewhere the leaves would help make scales stronger, but I only gave half brine shrimp and half pellets.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Two weeks is fine. Maybe try a live food though? I have found that live food really kick-starts to the instinct to spawn. Or just keep them strictly on frozen bloodworms/brineshrimp and feed pellets very sparingly.

I have always wondered whether betta courtship is like a kind of test. In the wild, you really only want to mate with the fittest partner you can find.

Therefore, the aggression they show to each other during courtship is a test of each partner's worthiness to spawn. I have wild bettas that spawn regularly, and their courtship is like a watered down version of splendens. It begins with the male dominating the female and her submitting with 'stress' striping and clamped fins. However, as he starts to let her near the nest she stops showing so much submission and starts to respond more aggressively to his advances. Only when they are at the peak of this aggressive behaviour, do they spawn.

In all three times I spawned my splendens pair, the best time to release the female was when she was actively engaging the male and not submitting or running away.

It may be different with others, but that has just been my experience.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #9 
Mozart282

Yeah I use the live shrimp that I hatched from eggs, cuz they don't seem to like worms or eels as much. Thank you for sharing your experience. I have a new combination getting used to each other at the moment in the breed tank, hopefully it'll work this time!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Good luck. Hopefully this time you get something.