Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #11 
Darth

I have decided I like you alot Jayloo!! If anything comes from your spawn, I do not care much about the quality, but I would gladly help work it with you, I have a very large fishroom!!
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #12 
Jayloo

Awe thanks. I love being liked. I would be honored.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #13 
Basement Bettas

Got to remember no one went out to muddy up some strains. One got the clever idea to improve the red by crossing into Cambodian stock. And years later, here we are. So, we now have some breeders interested in preserving some of these colors. They are going to have to breed towards them with the same hard culling that got us away from them. People are going to breed to the standard. A red fish is a red fish, no matter the genetic makeup. And if they have a perfect red, they deserve the top honors in a show. If I breed the old style red, I may have to deal with not winning because of black scale edges. Each breeder must make his own path and breed for what is important. Top honors as Grand Champion or knowing your line is pure for 6 generations. Each has a place in the IBC, or should.

Problem is most people just do crosses and sell fish and you get one and have no idea the genetic makeup of the fish. So.. you taint your line and it can't often be undone. Want to get a program going where people breed pure lines for years and get a certification out of it. And it would go for VT's as well as the other fin types. It is one of the reasons I like to offer a 3 generation pedigree of fish I sell. With the old computer stolen, will have to try and recreate all that info.., but I feel it is important for people to know. I never wanted marble.. yet it is in everything. You can breed away from it and get pretty consistent solid fish in a few generations. Then do an outcross and BAM.. there it is again. Look at AB and the wild colored fish are hot. Each breeder has to pick a path. Hopefully we can get the IBC in a place to preserve as well as change and go forward.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #14 
afishpond

it's hard to find any good fish cause most that are sold are culls been looking for a pair of halfmoon with black body's and orange fin's trimmed in black for 2 year's now last one to have any good ones was brook's out TX in he has stopped breeding . But i do know of some breeder that are starting to keep lines more pure .Glad to see that some of us still to breed red on red and so on . darth good luck finding your breeders sorry i can't help you more than the females.
afishpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #15 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Don't count out pet stores darth. You will never get a perfect fish but there are a bunch like this girl sold here.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  79.1 KB
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #16 
Darth

The girls are pretty easy to find in Combtails, but even a male Cambo Veil is scarce and I can absolutely revive HMs out of Veils in just a couple generations.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #17 
Basement Bettas

That female may get more red as she ages. Had several looked like that young.. and was excited. then they got a light dusting of red over them. Bleck! Just gonna have to breed and cull hard.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #18 
Mashiro

Hey Darth, just found this on Aquabid. I'm actually on the hunt for a Cambodian male myself.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...sct&1368466207
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #19 
Mashiro

Found another that sort of looks like a Cambo. It's a male Crowntail.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...sct&1368250170
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #20 
Darth

I found 2 Real McCoy Veils, and my Bud here is sending me his HM Cambo girls...so be gen 3 we should have some wokings!!