Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #1 
billguerra

yet another betta newbie

Hi all, I'm new to betta fish here, just got my male (Anderson) about a month ago to keep at work as my cubicle is so sparse. Because it's an office, I had to limit the size and couldn't have anything electric - no pump or light, so I went with a simple 1 gallon glass cube aquarium, with some natural stone gravel. I planted some Aponogeton ulvaceus bulbs, which have grown quite nicely.
Now, on to my question! Because it's an office, I'm limited in how I can change the water. Because of the plants, I have been hesitant to just tip the tank over and drain it completely, because I don't want them to get crushed by the gravel. I have been scooping the water out, till there is just a little left, then filling it back up, using bottled spring water. Because its bottled spring water, do I still need to use a declorineator? Also, is it necessary to clean out the gravel? Thanks for all your help!!
billguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #2 
TheBettaholic

You won't have to dechlorinate the spring water.
The water changes you've been doing are fine, but you probably should find a way to get the poop and muck out while you do your cleaning.. You can make a 'vacuum' out of airline tubing, and use that to suck up water and clean the gravel at the same time :)
TheBettaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 AM   #3 
Meatpuppet

yes, you can use an 1/4 inch aquarium tube to siphone water out and at the same time suck up poop and wasted food from the bottom.

i would suggest just using tap water to replace the water (with conditioner of course) so theres no chance of harmful minerals still in the water. and clean his tank like this every couple days while changing 25%- 50% of the water each time.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #4 
iamntbatman

Even easier than trying to make a siphon: get yourself a clean turkey baster. You can use it to change out the water and suck up the gunk off the bottom at the same time.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #5 
okiemavis

Since you've got no filtration you'll definitely need to keep up with the water changes. Instead of doing anything big, I'd recommend just scooping a few cupfuls out each day and adding back in fresh water.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #6 
nav2008

I use a turkey baster, it will be alot quicker for you because my tanks over 2 gallons, its simple, quick, and not alot of cleanup.
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #7 
billguerra

thanks for the info guys - the turkey baster idea sounds like a plan! :)
billguerra is offline   Reply With Quote