Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #11 
Nicci Lu

The anacharis is great to have in there with with him- it'll help suck up ammonia. AQ salt helps stimulate new growth of fins and tissue over wounds by acting as mild irritant. It is a good choice for minor wounds and minor fin rot, especially if one wants to avoid the use of meds. It can be used for a maximum of 10 days (because too long of salt exposure can damage the kidneys) at a dosage of 1 tsp per gallon, increasing to 3 tsp per gallons at the max dosage. The salt is pre-dissolved (very important- undissolved salt crystals can burn) in conditioned water and added slowly over a period of hour. Your cory cats are sensitive to salt, so I would never dose your 10 gallon with salt.

In your case, don't use the salt. He's already got meds and salt would be just another source of stress. At this point, it's the meds that are going to get him better- any advantages of using AQ salt would be weighed out by the stress they would cause him in addition to the stress that meds cause.

However, once his red spots go away and his fin rot is no longer spreading- e.g., once he's no longer on meds- you can go ahead and add salt to help speed his recovery. Give him a couple days in between meds and salt to regroup.

What you can do now to speed his healing: Get some rooibos tea bags at the grocery store. It must be 100% pure rooibos, no added flavors. Plop a teabag in his tank, leave it there until you can't stand how dark his water is getting. The tannins in the rooibos will help soothe him and promote healing. Indian almond leaves are even better than the rooibos, but they have to be purchased from Asia on ebay- IAL is great to have on hand, though, for the future. Here's a thread on rooibos if you want to know more.

Make sure he's getting high quality food. Omega One betta pellets or New Life Spectrum betta pellets for his staple source of nutrition. Frozen bloodworms are a great source of protein (and protein is what he needs right now) and will make him very happy- good to use once or twice a week. (In fact, your corys will love you for it, too.)

How is he doing? Behavior still normal? How are those red spots on his body?
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #12 
DragonGirl

Thanks for all the suggestions! Stress with him is definitely a problems so anything I can do to make it better I will. I got a box of the Rooibos tea it says hte only ingredient is organic rooibos tea so I think it should be good. I'll put it in right away.

I also went to the real LFS and finally found some prime so I'll start that tomorrow when I do the WC. I also got New Life Spectrum for community fish (will this work? There wasn't one specific for bettas) and Hikari frozen bloodworms. Should I give him the bloodworms today or start with the pellets?

I haven't noticed any change in his fins but the red looks pretty bad it looks like some of the rays where his tail meets his body are redder too, is this a bad sign? It's hard to tell about his behavior because he's not very happy with the quarantine tank. He's spending a lot of his time on the heater but I don't know if it's because its warm or because it's a good resting spot. It's holding super steady at 80.5 degrees is this too warm?
DragonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #13 
Nicci Lu

80.5 is a good, comfortable temperature for him. However, if you can, drop the temp to 78- the higher the temp, the faster bacteria multiply.

I've noticed bettas tend to hang out by the heater when they're stressed or don't feel well. It's also just a good resting spot- my VT likes to sleep there at night even though he's got his own cave.

If they're looking redder, that's not a good sign. But it's still early days yet with the med treatment, so I'm still hopeful for his improvement.

The community formula will be fine- I believe it's basically the same formula and size. The only difference is that the community pellets don't float, so you'll have to make you have his attention when you feed them so he can catch them on the way down. Give him the bloodworms to start with- I feed 2 or 3. The cubes are big, so I cut it into pieces when still frozen, then roll up the extras in saran wrap so each piece is separated by a layer, and put them back in the freezer. Put the bloodworms you're going to feed in a cup with a spoonful of tankwater to defrost.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #14 
DragonGirl

Wow! I added the tea bag and what a difference in his behavior! He doesn't deal with quarantine very well but after 30 minutes with the tea he's totally chill and back to his sweet self!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #15 
Nicci Lu

That is very, very cool. Glad to hear it. I remember when I had a teabag in the tank, my VT liked to sleep right under it- it was so cute.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #16 
DragonGirl

Well today comparing to the picture I took before I started him on meds it's pretty obvious that the septicemia is getting worse. The red has filled in on the bottom and is now a solid line. His appetite is still good. He ate the bloodworms yesterday although he didn't really seem to understand what was going on and he seemed to like the New Life Spectrum pellets today.

He's been swimming a little strangely since last night. He keeps turning on his right side and swimming along the bottom of the tank then sitting in the house for a minute, always against one wall of the tank. I don't know if something outside of it is stressing him out or what. He's still very active though and doesn't stay in one place for long although he keeps going back to the house as I'm writing this which he wasn't doing yesterday. I have the temp down to about 74.

I did the 100% WC and re-dosed meds and put in a new tea bag this morning. He put up a real fight when I tried to get him out and I don't think it helped his stress level.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #17 
LittleBlueFishlets

This article looked pretty informative. It provides information about septicemia and how to treat it. She says that feeding the antibiotic may be helpful.

http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/septicemia-infection/
LittleBlueFishlets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #18 
Nicci Lu

I'm sorry to hear that your boy's red streaks are getting worse! He's still active and hungry, though, so that's good.

Feeding medicine is definitely the best way to go with internal infections like septicemia. Unfortunately, most commonly available medicines aren't made to be mixed with food. I know that people do still mix meds like maracyn and general cure (an anti-parasitic), but I am leery of this as the manufacturer has no specific dosage instructions for this. One never knows whether they are feeding too much meds or too little, both of which can be counter-productive. I remember back in the days of my noobdom (oh, so long ago ;)), I added a packet of Maracyn II directly to the tank without pre-dissolving it. My goofball VT chased down the floating medicine balls and ate some. 4 hours later he was swimming on his side, poor thing.

If the Triple Sulfa isn't helping, and you're willing to buy another medicine, I would order Kanaplex to use after his round of sulfa. Kanaplex can be mixed with food and has instructions to do so. It is also my favorite med for it's effectiveness and it's not harsh on fish. The downside is it's lack of availability. If you can order from ebay, I got mine from the seller sebaesales. I told them when I purchased it that my boy's fin rot was getting close to his body (this was true), and they put it in the next days mail- I got it super quick.

Or, if this isn't possible, you could try googling triple sulfa mixed with food- see if anyone else has done it, and how.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #19 
DragonGirl

I was able to find one person on another forum who had a tank with dropsy and septicemia that fed flakes that were soaked in an entire packet of Triple Sulfa and had very good results. Do you think that is worth the risk?

I haven't been able to find any medicated fish food but I did find Kanaplex on amazon. I'm not sure if it's the right one though - it is a 5 gram bottle that has a q-tip looking thing on it. Is this the right one? And is 5 grams enough? This is the last day of the Triple Sulfa treatment would it be better to have continuous treatment with the Triple Sulfa or wait a day or two then start Kanaplex?

So should I try soaking his pellets in the Triple Sulfa or go ahead and order Kanaplex and give him a little break from meds?

EDIT: I think I'd like to try the soaked in triple sulfa if it's not dangerous. The kanaplex wouldn't get here until Saturday or Monday.

Last edited by DragonGirl; 05-08-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #20 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonGirl View Post
I haven't been able to find any medicated fish food but I did find Kanaplex on amazon. I'm not sure if it's the right one though - it is a 5 gram bottle that has a q-tip looking thing on it. Is this the right one? And is 5 grams enough?
Yep, that's it. The 'q-tip' is actually a little spoon. 5 grams doesn't sound like much, but it'll last a long time- 1 spoonful treats 5 gallons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonGirl View Post
EDIT: I think I'd like to try the soaked in triple sulfa if it's not dangerous. The kanaplex wouldn't get here until Saturday or Monday.
Well, I'll tell you what I would do. I would try soaking the food in triple sulfa. Make sure and do it at a time when you can keep an eye on him for a couple hours afterwards, in case there's an adverse reaction. I like to use frozen bloodworms when soaking in meds, though pellets work, too. I would also order some kanaplex to have for later, in case there's no improvement- of course, he'll need a couple days break between two rounds of triple sulfa and then kanaplex.