Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #31 
DragonGirl

He's been up and down ever since the second round of Triple Sulfa. The second day and third of the second round he wouldn't eat medicated pellets and seemed very down. On the 4th day he was very excited about the frozen bloodworms whether they were medicated or not. Every time he gets them he seems to get closer to figuring out that he loves them its absolutely precious. The first day without Triple Sulfa he only ate two unmedicated pellets and refused the rest and he was down in the dumps again - a lot of hiding. He seemed much better today and ate as much as I would give him so hopefully that will continue tomorrow. He looks just awful but being sick doesn't seem to bother him one bit so far and I'm hoping it will stay like that. The kanaplex got here today so I'll start it Thursday if he doesn't improve.

I do have a question for when I make the Kanaplex-ed food. It says blend with frozen food paste and refreeze. Does that mean I should only feed him the bloodworms for that week or so, I was under the impression that extended bloodworm feeding is not recommended?

Or can I medicate the pellets as well if he'll eat them? His main problem with the medicated pellets was that they fell so fast and he couldn't catch them with his long fins weighing him down is there a way I can make them float?

On the frozen bloodworms package it says not to thaw then re-freeze but the Kanaplex says to refreeze. Which should I follow?

Ok several questions...
DragonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #32 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonGirl View Post
I do have a question for when I make the Kanaplex-ed food. It says blend with frozen food paste and refreeze. Does that mean I should only feed him the bloodworms for that week or so, I was under the impression that extended bloodworm feeding is not recommended?

Or can I medicate the pellets as well if he'll eat them? His main problem with the medicated pellets was that they fell so fast and he couldn't catch them with his long fins weighing him down is there a way I can make them float?
Do the bloodworms and the pellets. As long as he isn't overeating, some extra bloodworms won't hurt him for a week. The problem with them is that too many can cause constipation. If you want, you can pick up some brine shrimp to medicate as well- they are great for voiding constipated bowels and bettas love those as well.

Try putting the medicated pellet on a plastic spoon, then put it in the tank so he can eat it off the spoon. Shouldn't take him long to figure it out. That's what I use to feed my boys frozen food- now when they see the spoon enter the water, they get so excited they end up biting the spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonGirl View Post
On the frozen bloodworms package it says not to thaw then re-freeze but the Kanaplex says to refreeze. Which should I follow?
I actually asked Seachem this very question a while back. The rep said not to re-freeze the bloodworms. He said store them in the fridge- the worms will stay good, and the med will stay active, for three days. I guesstimated that one bloodworm cube was half a tablespoon, so added half a spoon of the kanaplex.

For the pellets, add half a spoon kanaplex to half a tablespoon tank water. Use it to soak pellets for 15 minutes. The water/med mix can be stored in the fridge for three days.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #33 
DragonGirl

Well today I put in the third dose of Kanaplex, which is the maximum recommended on the bottle. I've been feedin him medicated pellets and medicated bloodworms every third day. He's still acting very sweetly but still no change in any of his symptoms. I could do a 4th dose of kanaplex if it wouldn't hurt him but I'm going out of town for 2 weeks starting Saturday so I really don't have any choice but to put him back in the 10 gallon after the Kanaplex is over.

What should my next step be after I get home? I'm not super clear on gram negative vs positive but is it possible that both the Triple Sulfa and Kanaplex treated for one type and Ghost has the other?

How long will he live without a successful treatment?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #34 
Nicci Lu

You can do another round (meaning for another full 6 days), but it isn't advisable to just do a fourth day. Since you won't have time to do a full round before you go away, that won't be an option. Go ahead and put him back in the 10 once his current round of Kanaplex is done.

I'm not entirely sure about the Triple Sulfa- it functions a bit differently than an antibiotic- but the Kanaplex is broad spectrum. It is effective against both gram negative and positive bacteria. The fact that he is still acting and eating okay, that he is still living, tells me that the medications must have made some improvement. I really can't say how long he would live without a successful treatment, but septicemia would normally have killed him by now- it's fairly fast acting. IE, there has at least been partial success in Ghost's treatment.

Once you get home, you can start another round of Kanaplex. However, if two weeks have passed and he is still acting normal but he has the streaks, I would be inclined to let him alone from the meds and let his body heal itself.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #35 
DragonGirl

Well I got back from vacation yesterday and was apalled to find that Ghosts tail has drastically shortened and is looking much rougher and black where it is still there. The red streaks have not changed and he was very happy to see me. Unfortunately he has not been feeling the photo op so I wasn't able to get a good picture.

While I was gone I had the tank fed six times in the two weeks. There was a problem with the light timer so they were in the dark too much but the water stayed good. Nitrates were at 20 when I tested this morning before the water change. Today I moved ghost back to quarantine and will soon start another round of Kanaplex.

Is there anything i can do in addition to the Kanaplex in the water and his food to treat this more aggressively? I'm just horrified at the change in his fins in two weeks I really hope he can recover from this.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #36 
Nicci Lu

I'm sorry to hear that! You can try giving him a bath or a dip. They are a way of administering a greater amount of medication, but in a shorter period of time. A bath lasts 30 min to an hour. A dip is riskier and more stressful- it is a higher concentration at 5 mins. I have never done either of these myself, so I'll give you a site to find out more about them. Briefly, you have a few options. A traditional bath consists of methylene blue, salt and sometimes a medication. If you haven't yet put Kanaplex in his tank, I would try this with Kanaplex in the bath. You can continue feeding the Kanaplex. Or, you can try a bath with just methylene blue and salt, and have kanaplex in his QT. Or, a bath with just salt. Or, you could do an hour bath with Paraguard, which treats fin rot. He will still need to be fed kanaplex for the streaks.

You'll need to keep a close eye on him during the bath treatment. If he shows any signs of stress, take him out.

I can't give links to other sites, but google an article called "Fish baths, dips, swabs; Including coral; For disease, ammonia treatment." It'll give you the lowdown on baths and what you can use. Seachem's website has more info on Paraguard baths.

Don't give a bath with kanaplex if it's already in his QT water. And I would make this the last treatment with kanaplex. Prolonged use can lead to kidney failure.

Do you vacuum your substrate with WCs? Excessive buildup of decayed organics can cause fin rot. Also, Vita-chem is a good additive to food and tank water- the extra vitamins will boost his immune system.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #37 
DragonGirl

I finished the last Kanaplex round on Friday and moved him back to the 10 gallon. I wasn't able to find the time to do a bath or dip or anything so it was just the same regular water treatment with medicated food. No improvement. I've gotten really discouraged and am at the point where I'm just going to let him live out his life in the big tank and stop stressing him out with daily WC's and the tiny tank. He's just so much happier in the big tank I don't want to keep trying all these treatments that I can't really afford and that don't seem to do anything but postpone the inevitable by another week or two. His behavior and appetite are still normal and the septicemia hasn't gotten any worse than before I went on vacation.

If there are any suggestions on how I can make the large tank better for him I'd be willing to try. I have an amazon sword and many planted baby swords, some water wisteria, a top fin 30 filter and UGF with a powerhead, 3 cories, 6 tetras, a snail, and a plastic rock house. I do weekly WCs with vacuuming where there aren't plants and feed Ghost pellets with frozen bloodworms twice a week. The tank is 132 days old.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #38 
Nicci Lu

Good luck with him and I hope he gets better. If he's happy in the ten, then it's probably better just to let him be. Since the meds don't seem to be working, maybe the best thing is to let him be as comfortable as possible, and let his own immune system do the work.

I had an oto come down with what appears to be septicemia. Since meds usually just kill otos instead of help, I haven't treated him with anything other than clean water and half doses of Paraguard. He's getting better. Just threw that out to give you hope.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #39 
DragonGirl

Just an update on Ghost in case you were wondering.

Shortly after my last post in June I discovered that while I was on vacation the cardinal tetras in the 10 gallon began nipping Ghost's fins. Everyone was getting fed less than usual and Ghost apparently decided to try the flakes. This got him between the tetras and their food and they ended up ripping his fins to shreds. I'm not sure if they were nipping him before this or not but it definitely escalated in this period resulting in his destroyed tail by the time I got home. As soon as I discovered this I moved him permanently to the 2.5 gallon, added a sponge filter, and did not give any more medication, aquarium salt, etc.

Although nothing has improved nothing has gotten worse either. The red streaks on his body are still the same and his once lovely tail is still black and ripped but he seems perfectly healthy to me and I'm grateful for that. Within the next couple of days I'll be upgrading the 10 gallon to a 25 and moving the cardinal tetras to the 25. This will free up the 10 for Ghost. He was always happier in the larger tank and I'm excited that he has lived long enough to get all that space back. I will definitely not be putting any schooling fish whatsoever in the 10 with him, just some pygmy cories or something.

I'm very lucky to have such a sweet betta. He's been a real trooper for all this and I'm hoping that when I move him back to the 10 gallon it will be his final home.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #40 
Nicci Lu

I'm glad to hear that Ghost is doing okay. Tetras are known to be nippers, so your situation is not unusual. He's much happier now that he doesn't have to deal the stress of getting his fins nipped. Just keep that water clean for him. You can continue with the rooibos tea if you still have some.

Corys are good, peaceful companions. They do need groups, though they are not schooling fish they do need shoals. A 10g could fit 10 pygmys with a betta since they are so small. You could also do a smaller group of 4 mid-size corys (2-2.5 inches) like pandas- these will stay on the bottom unlike the pygmys and are less likely to cause your betta any stress.