Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #1 
Fin Fancier

Urgent Rescue needed Minneapolis area

Since this forum is for emergencies I think this topic best fits here. My betta (Gills O'Reilley) pictured in my album is wasting away as I type this. A few months ago he came down with a severe case of fin rot brought on by his tail biting. One Maracyn II treatment later he was better and has been getting healthier by the week, gaining his fins back. The last time this happened his entire dorsal fin practically melted off in 48 hours. He looked bad last night so I floated him in his cup in his 10 gallon. This morning his dorsal is half way disintegrated.
I tested his params:
Ammonia: 0 - .25 (slight greenish tint, but below the .25 level)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5- 10

My tap water has .25 ammonia out of the tap so I'm assuming the cycle hasn't taken care of it yet, but to be honest this is what I get everytime I test his tank. It's a planted 10 gallon with a sponge filter.
I'm not asking if this is finrot or looking for other diagnosis. This is what he had ,and I successfully treated, last time. Here's the problem. I'm moving in 3 days, and thanks to the unplanned manner of the move not only am I nowhere near ready there is no way I'll be able to treat Gills as he needs to be to make it through this. This is an aggressive case of finrot.

I need a member in Minneapolis to rescue him. I love him and I know how to treat him I even still have a dose of the medicine he needs (and I can get more if someone can take him), but I have to tear down all tanks tomorrow basically and everyone is moving into their petsmart cups for the duration of my move, which will take several days. I'm pretty sure this will kill him. If any members can help or have ideas as to how to help him please message or post here. I work from 4 - 9 tonight, I'm hoping to have a plan before that. I would have acted sooner, but he was just acting lethargic yesterday, and I noticed the fins when I went to feed him this morning.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a jumbled mess but I am stressed and panicking a little bit. I'm open to care suggestions if someone thinks I can make this work with the move. Please post any opinions, suggestions, etc. here. I will be packing/ checking for the next 3 and 1/2 hours (when I have to go for work). I've trusted this community for a lot of advice since getting my fish and I could really use some help.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #2 
Fin Fancier

Okay, after I freaked out and thought about it a little bit I realized one of my friends at the petstore might be able to take him since they all have fish of their own. I think one can take him, so there might be hope for him yet.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #3 
Canis

If you need a backup plan, I can probably help you out. I'm over in Blaine. I wish you luck with your move! It can be such a pain.
Canis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #4 
Fin Fancier

Thank you, Canis. Luckily I was able to find a coworker to take him on. I was on the verge of a panic attack yesterday.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #5 
Canis

Thats good! Its amazing how attached you can get to a fish, but when you do, the slightest thing is like "OMG OMG what do I do?!?"
Canis is online now   Reply With Quote