Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #21 
LittleBlueFishlets

(@lilnaugrim - I'm hoping that he just tore his fins (maybe on the driftwood), and that it's not rot. But I'm going to wait to hear back from Joe before recommending anything more. If it's a fast moving rot, he may need to treat more aggressively. But hopefully, it's just torn, and using just lots of clean water will be sufficient. )
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
(@lilnaugrim - I'm hoping that he just tore his fins (maybe on the driftwood), and that it's not rot. But I'm going to wait to hear back from Joe before recommending anything more. If it's a fast moving rot, he may need to treat more aggressively. But hopefully, it's just torn, and using just lots of clean water will be sufficient. )
Yes I do hope so too! From the look of the pictures though, I could see the black but here's to hoping and praying!

(It's also why I edited my post haha, I'd rather he try your suggestion first anyway) :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #23 
manojvaz

Thank you lilnaugrim and LBF. The edges are dark/discolored and yeah smudgy. The attached present picture of his is hazy to make out anything. I am sorry.

LBF, do the steps you mentioned correspond to fin rot or tail biting? Which one of you do I follow? Could I use Sodium Salt, the one which is obtained by evaporating the sea water?. I don't want to ponder on how this got in. I just want to get him back to how he was before. One question to which I would love to hear YES is, would the tail grow back to how it was before. I have his picture attached when I started this thread.

I also have a thermometer stuck in there(a suction one). The drift wood doesn't have an abrasive surface for the Betta to have his fins torn. Not sure how it happened though. Presently, the bowl has only the betta and thermometer only. What next?

Last edited by manojvaz; 05-12-2013 at 01:10 PM.
manojvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #24 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) How quickly did this come on? Was it literally overnight?

2) Are antibiotics or medications available where you live? (They're available in some countries, but not others.)

3) What, specifically, is the salt that you have? For example, is it "evaporated sea salt," "sodium salt (iodized), "sodium salt (noniodized)," etc.

4) Does the salt list ingredients? If so, what are they? (Additives aren't always safe.)

4) If the salt is evaporated sea salt, or pure non-iodized sodium chloride, with no other additives, then yes, you can use it. Do everything in my previous post, but change the procedure slightly to:
  1. Fill a storage jug with 1 gallon of water. Add 1 teaspoon evaporated sea salt. Add conditioner. Stir or shake until the salt is completely dissolved. Let it sit out overnight so that the temperature is the same as the tank temperature.
  2. Tomorrow (Monday) - Remove about 1 L of water from his bowl.... Add 1 L of new water.
  3. Wait at least 15 minutes. (More time is OK.) Remove about 1 L of water from his bowl.... Add 1 L of new water.
  4. Repeat the above step two more times. (This will give you a total of 4 partial water changes today.)
  5. Refill the storage jug with 1 gallon of water. Add 1 teaspoon evaporated sea salt. Add conditioner. Stir or shake until the salt is completely dissolved. Let it sit out overnight
  6. Repeat the above process every day for 10 days.

If there is anything except either "evaporated sea salt" or "sodium chloride (non-iodized)" on the list of ingredients, it may not be safe to use. If this is the case, look for either something that's more pure, or ask the fish store for "aquarium salt."

The sodium in these products all cause fluid retention. So if he starts to become bloated, constipated, or has problems with his buoyancy, let us know.

Also, you don't want to use this treatment for longer than about 10 days, since sodium causes stress on the kidneys.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-12-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #25 
manojvaz

This happened overnight. It was fine until Saturday night.
Antibiotics and Medicines might be available. I need to check at the store.
I have a non-iodized sodium salt with no additives.

Could I have half a liter of old water in the bowl and then top it with tap water by letting it drip from the tap. I did this yesterday and it took nearly 4-5 hours to fill the bowl. The reason is me and my wife set off to work and I usually come very late and my wife has her own affairs to attend to. I come mostly after 10.30PM and hence the question. By the way do I feed him all these days or put him to fast? Other than the chicken liver that I feed and the frozen tubifex worms, what additional healthy food could I give him to rejuvenate?

What could have caused this fin rot, to be careful the next time or always?.

By doing this would he have his fins back fully as it was before, if not in 10 days may be a month or two?

Last edited by manojvaz; 05-12-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #26 
manojvaz

Am doing the full water changes everyday. Feeding him once a day with the regular chicken liver. I tried to feed him tubifex worms, dried/frozen. He didn't eat. What other things could I feed him for a change. He munches on his regular one though. Today is the fifth day. He is normal, happily swimming and enjoying(by how he appears to me in the bowl ). How long would this fin rot take to recover?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #27 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm glad he seems to be doing well.

How do his fins look? Has the rot stopped progressing? If the rot has stopped, eventually, you'll see new white/clear colored growth.

I can't advise you on food, as I just feed my guys pellets. (Omega One Betta Buffet and New Life Spectrum... but I don't know if you can get them there.)

I'm glad he is active and happy!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You could try New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets, mostly because it has garlic in it and Betta's generally love that. So that's something you can try. I really don't advise the chicken liver all the time just because it's lacking in nutrients that the Betta's need.

It's kind of like if we ate Red Meat's all the time and nothing else...lol it's going to cause some problems, so if you get some sort of Pellet like the NLS or Omega one we've talked about, your Betta will be much healthier :) I hope this helps some!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #29 
manojvaz

It's been two weeks exactly since I opened this thread. I have been doing everyday full water change. I haven't seen the re-growth(the white thing). Today morning I saw another little breakage. Worries me more .

LBF, you had suggested a 10 day change. I did it for 14 days. What am I doing wrong? He isn't eating dried freezed tubifex worms. I haven't tried bloodworms and shrimp. He is living only on the chicken liver. He is swimming around happily and taking his feed as well.

I broke his housing this morning while performing the water change . In his new home now, 7litres wide, tyre shaped bowl .
Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Perhaps then it is just his regular color and he's marbling...although it is a strange change. Can we get any new pictures please?

Also yeah, you can stop using the salt now just make sure you acclimate him very well to the new fresh water. Also freeze-dried anything isn't very good either, you can feed as a treat every now and then but it can cause constipation issues and stuff of the like.