Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #1 
IvoryCrayon

Do I have everything I need?

Alright here we go again, I got another new tank, this time for my birthday.

(If anyones keeping track I've gone from a 1/2G to a 3G to a 10G and I still have no fish >.< )

I have a 10 Gal tank
- with a heater

I'll be buying a water test kit within the next week or so as soon as I get paid.

Here is a picture:

Sorry for the quality.

- The little boat cave thing since I hear bettas like caves
- Couldn't help but buy that shark ^.^
- Plants (Hopefully silk) will be added as soon as I find them (All the stores I've been to have ugly plastic ones).
- Lid (In the making/old tank didn't come with one)
- Light comming!

- I'll keep a lookout for a low flow filter.
- Vac or baster (for cleaning)

I've got the food (Pellets) that float so I can remove the uneaten easily.
Plan to buy blood worms for a snack for the little betta.

I'll be buying a new thermometer too...since I just broke mine ..easy removable yeeaaahhh riiiggghhhttt.

And a pretty picture for the background is also comming XD

What am I missing?
IvoryCrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #2 
iamntbatman

How about a filter? If you're going to cycle the tank, a filter really provides a great place for beneficial bacteria to grow. Since bettas like low flow, good options would be an undergravel filter, a small sponge filter, or a power filter (either hang-on-back or internal) with an adjustable flow rate. This will allow you to turn down the flow in case the current bugs the fish.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #3 
IvoryCrayon

Alright, I'll add a filter to the list.
I'll have to search the pet store for a low flow filter, hopefully I can find one that works.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #4 
iamntbatman

Good options for a power filter are Tetra Whisper 10i (the internal kind), or a Tetra 10 hang-on-back. Both have adjustable flow rates, are sold at most pet stores, and shouldn't run more than $15 even at the most overpriced fish store.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #5 
Meatpuppet

i would suggest a gravle vac or at least a turkey baster to your list. just to suck up the waste from the bottom
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #6 
okiemavis

I use sponge filters for my killifish tanks and they're *very* low flow. Here's the one I have:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...52&pcatid=3952

Can't beat the price, although you'll have to get an air pump (and some air tubing) to go with it. I use the Whisper 10, it's dead silent and just the perfect size:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=12738
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #7 
IvoryCrayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatpuppet
i would suggest a gravle vac or at least a turkey baster to your list. just to suck up the waste from the bottom
Ah Right, That would help with the cleaning. Thanks.

Thanks for the Brand names on the filters, It'll help when I'm out searching for stuff. :)
Old 08-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #8 
okiemavis

No prob. Although pretty much all sponge filters work the same, it's a very simple concept. I just like these cuz they're well weighted, so they don't try to float away.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #9 
IvoryCrayon

Do you need both a filter and a pump?

The Walmart near my house has both a tetra whisper 10 pump and filter, do I need both?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #10 
iamntbatman

The Tetra Whisper Pump is an air pump that sits outside your aquarium. You just hook some air line tubing up to the outlet nozzle and then hook the other end to whatever you're using it for. Some people use them to run those goofy "animated" decorations (y'know, like the treasure chest that opens up and bubbles come out). I use them for some undergravel filters as well as just to run some air stones hidden behind rocks for a cool bubble effect. You can also use them to run sponge filters and some of the cheaper internal filters. So, if you're thinking of getting a sponge filter, yes, you need an air pump in order to run it.

However, if the other thing you're talking about is the Tetra hang-on-back style power filter, nope, no air pump needed. The filter hangs on the aquarium. You put some of the tank water in it, make sure the filter cartridges are in place, and plug it in. An impeller sucks water through the input tube. The water then runs through the cartridges and pours back out into the tank. The Tetra Whisper internal filters (with names like 10i, 20i, etc) function similarly but go entirely inside your tank.