Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #1 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Exclamation rescuing my first betta... uh oh

Oh boy. So this male betta is 3 years old. He's never had conditioned water, he's never had more than one water change a week, he always acts dead, he had fin rot and fought it off on his own and now he may have dropsy.

So we have a tank for him, but I don't know how to go about this. He's so used to crappy water conditions that I'm terrified he is gonna croak from shock. So... Yeah any suggestions? He needs tannins and API General Cure state. That's all I know. We're trying to prepare ourselves for picking him up Monday.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #2 
logisticsguy

Oh Wow poor guy! Well I would get a hospital tank ready for him. Who know what he might have so a strong broad spectrum med like paraguard would be good. You may want to acclimate him to the hospital tank water slowly by floating him in a large cup and adding the new water slowly over a period of a few hours. Doing frequent water changes for a couple weeks and keeping him warm will help him greatly. If you have IAL you could get it soaking in warm water for some strong tannins. Good for you!
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #3 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

This is the one from the store I was telling you about. I kind of doubt he'll make it, but considering what he's fought through with no help, who knows. He also has the giant gene I think. He's friggin huge. Wish we had a bigger tank for him but I figured getting him better was more important.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #4 
logisticsguy

You never know because he is a fighter just staying alive so far. Given good conditions and meds he could make it and surprise. I never underestimate the spirit in these guys. You should take some pics of him so can take a look and see what we are up against.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Fill this out with both his previous conditions and his present conditions please-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

What makes you believe he has dropsy? Until we can diagnose him the best thing to do is super clean, warm water...acclimate him VERY slowly.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Noodle, wow. He's 3 years old and he's spent it all at a pet store? That's kind of . . . lousy store.

Well, since he's never had clean, conditioned water the first thing you'll want to do is acclimate him very carefully. I'd suggest using the drip method. 2 ways to do it.

1) Get a length of airline hose. Put the fish in a container with the water he was bagged in. Put one end of the hose into the tank that will be his new home and get a siphon going. Tie a knot in the hose until the flow is just a drip into his temporary container. Leave him like that, with the new water dripping gradually into his container, for about an hour. By then, the water should've doubled or so in volume and he should be sufficiently used to it to go into his new home.

2) If you don't have an airline hose, then every few minutes you can dribble about a tablespoon worth of new tank water into his temporary container. Do this until the water has doubled in volume. Then he should be ready to go.

After he's been in clean water (tannin stained is okay) for a day, get him started on his meds. General Cure and possibly add Kanaplex too. If he's really in bad condition, add 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon too.

Now, since this guy has been in pretty bad conditions there's a possibility he's a carrier of a whole bunch of diseases and bugs so be very careful to not cross-contaminate anything with Tony.

I hope the big guy lasts until Monday. Even if he doesn't make it, it would be nice if he could spend at least one day in clean water with someone who cares.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #7 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Alright, I think I can do that. I have eyedroppers I've dedicated to administering ammonia into my fishless cycling tank. I'll sanitize one and do the dribble method.

Oh and he wasn't living in a pet store. It is a soap store who kept him as a sort of store pet. Regardless, the "care" he received there was sub-par.

I have a question. After doubling the volume of his nasty water with clean water, do I transfer him into fully clean ter? I'm afraid his dirty water is toxic with nitrates, the tank he'sd in is coated oin brown algae.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Yes, transfer him into the clean water. The drip method slowly adds in clean water to dilute the dirty water so that the shock of the transfer shouldn't be quite as bad. If you have any doubt, you can continue the drip method for even longer than an hour. I mean, some saltwater keepers will acclimate for 6 hours.

When you first get him home, you may want to also add about a quarter cap of Seachem Prime (if you have it) to his shipping bag. Then transfer him into his holding container for the acclimation process.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #9 
Rana

While you're acclimating him you could double the volume of water in his bag, and then take out around half the amount and start dribbling in fresh water again. That way instead of 1/2 old and 1/2 new water, he'll be in approx. 1/4 old and 3/4 new by the time you're done. And if you do it once more, it lessens the amount of old water even more. Best of luck, he sounds like a real fighter!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #10 
Kithy

Everyone already gave awesome advice so I just wanna say that I'm hoping for him to make it :D Best of luck!!
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue, rescue betta