Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #1 
Dwarden3

Thinking about adding Oak leaves to make tannins?

I don't quite know how to do this. Do I change the leaves with every water change? How many leaves do I use? Any help is much appreciated.
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 AM   #2 
whatsupyall

There is no one absolute answers to many of the questions you have Dwarden3. It's all trial and error and variations that plays a major role, which makes things work for one person and not for another. Once water is tanned, take out the leaves. Leaving it in there is fine, by it might decay and rot your water potentially. I usually whiff the water into my smell senses to see if it smell sweet(IAL, not sure if it works the same for oak leaves). Use 1 leaf for a start. When you start to feel confident, try 2. Or if it is not tanning your water, try more. All trial and error. Don't know where your leaves came from also, so you are taking a risk there. Be sure to thoroughly clean the leaves from insecticide/pesticide sprays. Make sure it is naturally dried and fallen from tree. Perhaps you can even boil the leaves and make tannin extract. I think boiling removes beneficial 'stuffs' within the leaves though, as far as IAL. I hope this helped somewhat.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #3 
Dwarden3

Thanks! Will this change water parameters? I have hard water in my area ( 130ppm). Also, will it change pH or kH? And my tank is 10gal, if that helps.

Last edited by Dwarden3; 06-24-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: added tank size
Old 06-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #4 
whatsupyall

Yes it will change water parameters. Both pH and kH. A change in pH means a change in kH. You want stability. That is why I am currently only using tannin water if breeding. It's a bit difficult to keep up with pH stability if using tannin water, but I don't think the effect is dramatic on bettas health; they are hardy as I have mentioned countless times now. Small variations of pH should not matter too much though. Have a good one and keep the questions coming!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 AM   #5 
Dwarden3

Will it change the hardness?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #6 
whatsupyall

Yes indeed. Tannin softens water.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #7 
Dwarden3

Thats good, my water is super hard.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #8 
whatsupyall

Where did you get that reference that 130ppm is 'super hard' water? Using tannin to soften water is fine, but if you want to get into details, you must monitor your pH level because as water softens, stability of pH also becomes a problem. Be sure to check your gH as well. Bettas need their minerals. But then again, since they live in tanks that you have to constantly clean, it should be no problem. This is of course, in theory according to what we know. However more, Tannin is used by many betta hobbiest, I have yet to witness any problem with pH fluctuations/spikes that killed bettas. Anyway, I just want to leave you with the notion that bettas are very adaptive and hardy. You will be okay any way you choose to go about it as long as the changes are not drastic and parameters are kept constant. I mean, you can use a RO kit too. That is the real way to soften water IF you had high levels of kH. Does any of this makes sense? It's late and I think I'm ranting now lol.

Last edited by whatsupyall; 06-24-2013 at 05:20 AM.