Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #1 
Goodbettabest

Sand & snails & an unfiltered 5 gal

Hey guys, I'm thinking about setting one of my tanks up with sand instead of gravel. It is an unfiltered 5 gal. Is that a wise move? Also, is it beneficial to add a snail to an unfiltered tank either sand or gravel?
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #2 
Sivan

Hello!

The thing with an unfiltered/uncycled large tank, such as a five gallon, is that they will require a 50% water change AND a 100% water change during the week in order to maintain water quality. That can make using sand irritating and expensive.

As for the snail, please note that snails are not just algae vacuums. They have their own special needs and do far better in cycled tanks. The most commonly sold snails are referred to as mystery snails by pet stores, which are actually apple snails. These snails tend to produce high amounts of ammonia because they leave waste often. An uncycled tank plus a high bioload from a snail alone sounds like a bad time.

Why do you not want to have a filter? I am just curious.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #3 
Goodbettabest

I am very new to fishkeeping and cycling a tank sounded like a very scary thing. I had one tank set up with a filter and my fish hated it but that was a filter2.5 gal tank so not much room to hide from the current produced.I''ve just been reading a sticky old fish lady wrote and it made it all sound much less confusing so I've decided to give it a crack with filtering my 5 gal. The filter my tank was sold with is set up with two (what appear to be carbon cartridges) with a layer of sponge on top. Is that ok to use? If carbon is no good what would you recommend? I'll forget about the snails until i get the filtration under control.
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote