Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #1 
Hawtt

Please Help Betta In Trouble

So a few weeks ago my girlfriend bought me a betta and a half gallon starter tank to put him in. Everything had been going great for awhile until this week he was really active would look at you and listen eat about 5 pellets a day (two in the morning 3 before bed) then he started looking a bit gray and lethargic after i did a water change and I used a test strip to see if the water was okay and everything checked out aswell as the temp it was sitting at 78-80F so i got some PIMAFIX and now im on my second day of using it and the water looks a bit cloudy and he just sits at the top of the tank now and barely eats (today he tried to eat a pellet and spat it back out). I made the mistake one time of doing a 100% water change but only one time and after he seemed to be his normal self. I bought a new tank with a filter that is 3.5 gallons and I have some nice plants and a pirate skull to put in it for him but my question is how do i make him better before I move him to the new tank? Or will moving him to the new tank with the filter make him happier. I am trying my best to make him better but nothing seems to work.
Hawtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #2 
crystalicethorn

Ok to start off, i just want to know, did you add dechlor to the water? Secondly I think its best to move him from the half gallon to the 3.5, but if the filter is to strong i suggest leaving it off until he recovers a bit. And i think 4 pellets a day is enough.
And if you could put up a pic it would help a lot.
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #3 
Hawtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalicethorn View Post
Ok to start off, i just want to know, did you add dechlor to the water? Secondly I think its best to move him from the half gallon to the 3.5, but if the filter is to strong i suggest leaving it off until he recovers a bit. And i think 4 pellets a day is enough.
And if you could put up a pic it would help a lot.
Thank you so much for your reply. I used nutrafin every single time I added or changed the water. And here is a picture of "Took"
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #4 
serenebeauty

He is beautiful! I agree with Crystalicethron, I would move him to the 3.5 gal. tank and leave the filter off until he is healthier.
serenebeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #5 
Hawtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenebeauty View Post
He is beautiful! I agree with Crystalicethron, I would move him to the 3.5 gal. tank and leave the filter off until he is healthier.
Thanks for replying, alright I will setup the new tank immediately.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #6 
Hawtt

I just finished setting up Took's new home, I put in the nutrafin and I will wait awhile before I put him in because I have to pick up a heater from petsmart. I havent given him his daily pimafix medication yet (hes on his third day of treatment) because I will be changing him homes soon but he seems to be getting better (I caught him swimming about normally instead of staying at the top all lethargic), and he ate all 3 pellets I gave him too! Do you guys think the new tank I got will be a good home for him?
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #7 
crystalicethorn

His new tank looks much better then his last!
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #8 
Hawtt

Well I transported took to his new home via sandwhich bag which some of his old tank water and let him float at the top of the tank for like an hour with a small hole in it so the water from the new and old tank could mix. Then after awhile i made the hole bigger and he swam out and started exploring his new home. He seems to taken a fondness to the filter (its off for now until he gets better) he has been sitting behind it for the longest time is that normal?

EDIT: I just realized he started doing this after I added the pimafix to the new tank to continue his treatment (on his 3rd day)
Attached Images

Last edited by Hawtt; 05-05-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #9 
jadaBlu

He might be hiding from the current turn it off and see how he acts. Also can you get some pictures of the area that is gray? Does he swim straight or does he seem off balance?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #10 
Hawtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
He might be hiding from the current turn it off and see how he acts. Also can you get some pictures of the area that is gray? Does he swim straight or does he seem off balance?
The filter hasnt been on at all i just have it sitting there, and he isnt gray anymore but i wanted to continue using pimafix as the bottle directed to be safe. His swimming seemed perfectly fine but I did notice after i put the pimafix in he started hiding behind the filter and sitting at the top of his tank again