Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #11 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

That is a nice new home for Took. I think it is fairly normal that he is hanging out by the filter, my guy when he rest likes to hang out by his heater. I bet he is going to love exploring his new home tomorrow after a nice rest. Bettas do rest or sleep at night and often will pick one area like Took has with the filter that they like to sleep in. They have a day and night cycle just like we do.

I would stop using the pimafix because it has oil in it and that can cause trouble with the organ they use to breath air with. Anything with the word fix in it is not good to use for Bettas. I think just the clean warm water will be enough for now but keep and eye out for any problems he is having and let us know if you need any help. I am glad you joined the forum and I hope you enjoy your time here and keep us updated on Took is doing.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #12 
Hawtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
That is a nice new home for Took. I think it is fairly normal that he is hanging out by the filter, my guy when he rest likes to hang out by his heater. I bet he is going to love exploring his new home tomorrow after a nice rest. Bettas do rest or sleep at night and often will pick one area like Took has with the filter that they like to sleep in. They have a day and night cycle just like we do.

I would stop using the pimafix because it has oil in it and that can cause trouble with the organ they use to breath air with. Anything with the word fix in it is not good to use for Bettas. I think just the clean warm water will be enough for now but keep and eye out for any problems he is having and let us know if you need any help. I am glad you joined the forum and I hope you enjoy your time here and keep us updated on Took is doing.
Thank you for your reply and thank you for welcoming me to the forum, I will just leave him alone and keep and eye on him. I only got pimafix because the lady at petsmart said it was what she used when her beta got sick and it was top of the line. What do you suggest I use in stead of pimafix if he gets sick again?
Hawtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #13 
serenebeauty

Im glad to hear hes getting better, the tank looks great as well! I also set up a new tank for my girl today with 2 live plants to help keep the water clean and eliminate any possible ammonia so she will heal faster. maybe its the medicine he's trying to hide from. Make sure youre not putting too much in the tank, but it seems putting him in a different tank is exactly what he needed.
serenebeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #14 
Starfish1

If he gets sick again definitely not anything with -fix at the end if because all of those are the same as pimafix and are bad for a betta. Pet store employees are not always the most knowledgeable about bettas and especially not about medications. As long as you keep up with water changes and vacuuming the gravel, at minimum 50% once a week once the tank is cycled, and keep the temp 78-80 he should be ok. In the event the betta gets sick, different medicines are needed for different problems.

It sounds like the water quality in the half gallon was affecting him, especially if you only did 1 100% water change, along with no heater. He'd need a daily 100% water change in a container that small, and even so they get depressed and lethargic when they have no room to swim around in.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #15 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Please fill this out-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Honestly, I have used pimafix many, many times on my bettas without any issue whatsoever. IMO/IME it is only dangerous if you use to much. I use a half dose just to be safe and it works just fine. The whole "anything with fix at the end is bad" thing is bascically because some people have has bad experiences with it- when they didn't dose it properly. That being said, with the symptoms you describe, I don't believe he needs pimafix.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #16 
Hawtt

Not really an emergency so im not sure if I should post it here. Not even a day after being in the tank the water has become very cloudy (im not sure if you can tell from the picture). I turned the filter on but it doesnt seem to be doing very much to clear the cloudiness. But took seems to be fine and he slept inside the skull last night and likes to hang out by the heater.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #17 
Flapmon

If you're saying gray as in his body was half gray while the rest was still coloured? There's a chance it could have been stress.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #18 
Hawtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
If you're saying gray as in his body was half gray while the rest was still coloured? There's a chance it could have been stress.
Thanks for a reply he WAS turning gray it seemed. His head to the middle part of his body seemed to be turning gray. But since I started using pimafix he seems to be better. He doesnt stay at the top of the tank anymore and swims all over. My only issue now is the water is suddenly cloudy after 1 day when it was previously crystal clear
Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #19 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawtt View Post
Thanks for a reply he WAS turning gray it seemed. His head to the middle part of his body seemed to be turning gray. But since I started using pimafix he seems to be better. He doesnt stay at the top of the tank anymore and swims all over. My only issue now is the water is suddenly cloudy after 1 day when it was previously crystal clear
This is shock then? It sounds like it. I found a photo of when my VT Duke got scared after I wandered into the bathroom where I kept him at the time. He quickly swam away from where he was as if he jumped in his sleep and sat at the bottom of the tank. I wasn't sure if it was a nightmare or if the change from dark to light creeped him. I sat with him when I noticed his usual royal blue was now gray but in the morning he was back to his normal colours and he has been fine ever since.

I found a photo of normal colours and freaked out mode, I never did treat him though. He just gradually became okay again.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #20 
Hawtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
This is shock then? It sounds like it. I found a photo of when my VT Duke got scared after I wandered into the bathroom where I kept him at the time. He quickly swam away from where he was as if he jumped in his sleep and sat at the bottom of the tank. I wasn't sure if it was a nightmare or if the change from dark to light creeped him. I sat with him when I noticed his usual royal blue was now gray but in the morning he was back to his normal colours and he has been fine ever since.

I found a photo of normal colours and freaked out mode, I never did treat him though. He just gradually became okay again.
I think my betta "took" was sick to be honest, for a few days he just sat at the top of his tank and his head and mid section were totally gray almost. But once I used pimafix he started looking better and acting like his normal self. I am just wondering why my new tanks water suddenly got super cloudy out of nowhere when all day yesterday he was crystal clear.