Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #21 
Flapmon

Perhaps the treatment you had got in there via zip lock bag? It probably coated him so him swimming in clean water uh, washed it off? You didn't by any chance clean it with soap or the sort did you? It could have come from the filter? Did you cycle it?
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #22 
Hawtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
Perhaps the treatment you had got in there via zip lock bag? It probably coated him so him swimming in clean water uh, washed it off? You didn't by any chance clean it with soap or the sort did you? It could have come from the filter? Did you cycle it?
Thank you for trying to help me :) I didnt use any soap, i rinsed everything off with warm water thats all. Im sorry but I am still new to owning a fish im trying my best to take the best care possible of him but I dont know what cycling is.
Hawtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #23 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawtt View Post
Thank you for trying to help me :) I didnt use any soap, i rinsed everything off with warm water thats all. Im sorry but I am still new to owning a fish im trying my best to take the best care possible of him but I dont know what cycling is.
Oh. It's okay. Uh, I'm probably not the one to explain this but cycling is the process of running water through the filter in an empty tank so it knows what's bacteria and what isn't ..

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquarium/cycling2.php

Should answer your questions. :P.

And the possibility of your cloudy tank; (Quoted, so not all of it will relate to you, I mean the basically part.)
"Basically, you've removed all the good bacteria that turn ammonia into nitrates, which means ammonia levels are dangerously high. The white haze is the bacterial bloom that is the result of too much ammonia."

Which then leads me to ask the question of, what water conditioner are you using?

Last edited by Flapmon; 05-06-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #24 
Hawtt

Quote:
Oh. It's okay. Uh, I'm probably not the one to explain this but cycling is the process of running water through the filter in an empty tank so it knows what's bacteria and what isn't ..

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquarium/cycling2.php

Should answer your questions. :P.

And the possibility of your cloudy tank; (Quoted, so not all of it will relate to you, I mean the basically part.)
"Basically, you've removed all the good bacteria that turn ammonia into nitrates, which means ammonia levels are dangerously high. The white haze is the bacterial bloom that is the result of too much ammonia."

Which then leads me to ask the question of, what water conditioner are you using?
I have nutrafin and recently i got API stress coat, how do i get ammonia levels down and get rid of the cloudiness?

Last edited by Hawtt; 05-06-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #25 
Flapmon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawtt View Post
I have nutrafin and recently i got API stress coat, how do i get ammonia levels down and get rid of the cloudiness?
This is where cycling comes in and this is where we remove your beloved fish from his new home and put him back where he was with his heater so he doesn't suffer from ammonia burns, because your filter isn't cycled to turn ammonia into nitrate which in the long run is easier to maintain. All you can really do is follow the process on how to cycle your filter. Just remember when cleaning your filter? Don't use tap water because you'll ruin the whole process, clean it in the fish water.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #26 
Hawtt

Quote:
This is where cycling comes in and this is where we remove your beloved fish from his new home and put him back where he was with his heater so he doesn't suffer from ammonia burns, because your filter isn't cycled to turn ammonia into nitrate which in the long run is easier to maintain. All you can really do is follow the process on how to cycle your filter. Just remember when cleaning your filter? Don't use tap water because you'll ruin the whole process, clean it in the fish water.
I dont have the other small half gallon anymore so I have no where else to put him. Is there a way to cycle the tank without moving the fish out of the aquarium? Also i noticed since the water has gotten cloudy "took" has been sitting at the top of the tank again.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #27 
Flapmon

Usually when people cycle with fish inside the tank? They're fish they don't mind uh .. Dying. Which is another way to add bacteria from their poop, food .. Etc. With how cloudy the water is there's also a high chance he'll get ammonia burns. You could always downsize him for now, cycling is a long process it's not going to be done in a day.

How to guide:

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/helpfu...ng-an-aquarium
Old 05-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #28 
Hawtt

Quote:
Usually when people cycle with fish inside the tank? They're fish they don't mind uh .. Dying. Which is another way to add bacteria from their poop, food .. Etc. With how cloudy the water is there's also a high chance he'll get ammonia burns. You could always downsize him for now, cycling is a long process it's not going to be done in a day.

How to guide:

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/helpfu...ng-an-aquarium
Sorry for all the questions, I am so lost on the subject of cycling a tank. All i need to do is move "took" to a smaller tank for now and basically just let the bigger 3.5 gallon tank sit for a few weeks with the filter running for a few weeks while testing the water to make sure the nitrates and ammonia levels are okay. Then once its done cycling acclimate and put "took" back into the 3.5 gal
Old 05-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #29 
Flapmon

Yes, pretty much. There's also the option of when its finally cycled? Add live plants into his tank and these help with nitrates. Totally optional though. I'm sorry this is all such a long process but I assure you seeing him happy will be worth while. :P
Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #30 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

You could do a fish in cycle, that is where you leave the fish in the tank while it cycles. I did a fish in cycle with my 5 gallon and it went very well. Your tank is 3.5 gallons right ? There are a few things you will need in order to do this safely 1. API Master Freshwater Testing Kit 2. Prime water conditioner(it will detox ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for up to 48 hours) 3. Gravel vacuum

All tanks with filters can be cycled but the smaller the tank the longer it can take to cycle. When you do a fish in cycle you have to be prepared to do weekly water changes ( I will post a link for how many you need to do) . You will use the testing kit to test your water to see where you are in your cycle, you will know your tank has cycled when your test shows you have no ammonia or nitrites in your water.

There are plenty members here that can help you with cycling your tank using the fish in method if you decide you want to do one. They sure helped me when I did my fish in cycle and it was my first time to ever cycle a tank. Its a good way to bond with Took and what you want to be careful of is that all the water changes dont stress him out to much. Perseus handled it better than I did...lol He did mind and came to love all the water changes and would follow and still does my gravel vac around.

Back to your cloudy water, keep running the filter and is should clear up soon. Most Bettas do like to hang around at the top. Is he still eating well ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote