Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #31 
Starfish1

Hawtt, just do a water change and put new water in (and add water conditioner). This will solve the problem. When you have a filter you still have to do frequent water changes, two 50% water changes per week would be good. Do you have a siphon so you can clean your gravel and siphon out the water?

I'm not good at explaining cycling either but after you put the fish in you have to test the water parameters very often at the beginning because you can sudden get way too much ammonia and nitrites in the tank. You'll have to do water changes more often during the first month or two of having him in the tank. After this time period, beneficial bacteria will grow in the gravel and filter which will change the ammonia produced by the fish at that point the ammonia and nitrite level will go down. so be careful to test and be prepared to do a lot of water changes for the next few weeks. The cloudy water could be a bloom of beneficial bacteria, just do a quick water change and you should be ok. There's no need to take him out out of the tank unless you're cleaning it and putting him back in.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #32 
Hawtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
Yes, pretty much. There's also the option of when its finally cycled? Add live plants into his tank and these help with nitrates. Totally optional though. I'm sorry this is all such a long process but I assure you seeing him happy will be worth while. :P
No need to be sorry, it is a long process but I love my fish and I want him to have a happy home and life. Luckily my mother had a credit at petsmart and all the stuff ive gotten so far was free. When I transfer him to a smaller tank should I use tap water with some water treatment or some of the water from the 3.5 gallon tank. I appreciate all the help everyone has given me so far, its alot of work to start off but I am enjoying my fish and trying to give him a happy life.
Hawtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #33 
Starfish1

You can use water from the tank. Just get a cup (that hasn't had soap in it) and scoop him out of the tank, change 50% of the water and put him back. And check the water again tomorrow.

Edit: see my post above also we posted at the same time
Old 05-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #34 
Hawtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1 View Post
You can use water from the tank. Just get a cup (that hasn't had soap in it) and scoop him out of the tank, change 50% of the water and put him back. And check the water again tomorrow.

Edit: see my post above also we posted at the same time
Quote:
Hawtt, just do a water change and put new water in (and add water conditioner). This will solve the problem. When you have a filter you still have to do frequent water changes, two 50% water changes per week would be good. Do you have a siphon so you can clean your gravel and siphon out the water?

I'm not good at explaining cycling either but after you put the fish in you have to test the water parameters very often at the beginning because you can sudden get way too much ammonia and nitrites in the tank. You'll have to do water changes more often during the first month or two of having him in the tank. After this time period, beneficial bacteria will grow in the gravel and filter which will change the ammonia produced by the fish at that point the ammonia and nitrite level will go down. so be careful to test and be prepared to do a lot of water changes for the next few weeks. The cloudy water could be a bloom of beneficial bacteria, just do a quick water change and you should be ok. There's no need to take him out out of the tank unless you're cleaning it and putting him back in.

Hey starfish, thanks for replying to my thread and trying to help me out. I do not have a gravel siphon yet but I am sure I can go to petsmart and pick one up soon (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo will this work?). So just change half of the water twice a week until the ammonia levels go down? I dont need to move him to a half gallon at all?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #35 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Here is the water change information link, it sure helped me when I was new to fish keeping.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #36 
Flapmon

Well. <<
I screwed up? Lol.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #37 
Starfish1

no problem!

Yep, something just like that. That one is a huge one though, they come in smaller sizes for a smaller tank, and the smaller one would be cheaper.

No, as long as you change his water and get rid of that cloudiness you're seeing, i don't see a need to move him to a half gallon. The smaller tank the more ammonia and dirty water, so he's better off in the 3 gallon.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #38 
Hawtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Here is the water change information link, it sure helped me when I was new to fish keeping.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Thanks! This helps alot

Quote:
Well. <<
I screwed up? Lol.
Hey atleast you know more than me lol I dont really know anything at all, but in any case I appreciate you trying to help me and ``took``

Quote:
no problem!

Yep, something just like that. That one is a huge one though, they come in smaller sizes for a smaller tank, and the smaller one would be cheaper.

No, as long as you change his water and get rid of that cloudiness you're seeing, i don't see a need to move him to a half gallon. The smaller tank the more ammonia and dirty water, so he's better off in the 3 gallon.
Alrighty then ill get a smaller one when i go check out petsmart.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #39 
Starfish1

Quote:
Well. <<
I screwed up? Lol.
No you're fine :) Just wanted to add that you can do a fish in cycle if you check levels carefully and do lots of water changes, and if it's only one betta.
If it were several fish I wouldn't recommend.. :)
Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #40 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Your welcome Hawtt, I was in the same situation a year ago when I got Perseus as a gift and he came with a half gallon bowl. I didnt know anything about Bettas and was so happy I found this forum and ordered a bigger tank right away for him. Your doing great and ask all the questions you want so many great members here always willing to help.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote