Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #1 
Auburn Sakura

Unhappy Popeye...?

I know the photos are of poor quality, but I will try to get some better ones soon. What I'm wondering is, if this fish has popeye. His name is Cherche, he's a very sweet fish. My mother and I are both very concerned about him. We plan to get some Mardel's Maracyn-2 soon, part of our problem is time, because I don't know when we can get it, as well as the fact that we have to order it from online. Will try to get better photos soon, I know these are really hard to see with. Also, we have removed him from our new 10 gallon community tank. Hopefully our Mollies, and white cloud fish will not show any signs of this. He was only in there a couple of days, so maybe. Right now Cherche is in a still-water aquarium that is approximately one gallon. We're also going to do 100% water changes daily until we can get the medicine. Thank you all for taking the time to look at this.
Attached Images

Auburn Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #2 
WolfHhowling

Pop eye isn't highly contagious, in most cases.

Pop eye is caused by several things.

Poor water quality, trauma to the eye, parasites, tumor behind the eye, and some times a bacterial infection.

As yourself, is the eye clear?
Are there any inclusions?
Does the fish seem to be blind in that eye?
Does the eye look like it is any other color then what it should be?

Are there any aggressive tank mates?
Are there any sharp, or hard surfaces in the tank that he could possibly be pushed into?

Pop eye is highly treatable, and in worse classes they lose the infected eye. In the case of blindness its usually noted to be parasites when with any discoloration on inclusions in the eye or a tumor. Sometimes bacteria can make the eye go blind.

Other cases such as poor water conditions or trauma, the eye will heal up in no time with clean water.

The only time pop eye has ever been recorded fatal, is when its a tumor behind the eye, parasites that have been left untreated, or a bacterial infection non looked after.

however these cases are very rare.

Good clean water, until the you can get meds, if they eye doesn't look any better after your medicine treatments, it is either to non reparable damage to the eye or a tumor. In both cases all you can do is give you fish a happy longest life possible. Because tumors in fish eventually will kill them, and the other won't be much of a
discomfort.

Another way they can die with pop eye is if the eye bursts and you do not treat it in time, and it gets a fungal infection or another secondary infection in the eye socket. ( this is rare since its rare to loos an eye due to pop eye)
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #3 
Auburn Sakura

Also, he doesn't eat. He gets interested in the food, but then ignores it or spits it back out... He's been like that for a few days..
Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #4 
Auburn Sakura

Alright, thank you for the information. We will do the best to treat him. (:)
Old 05-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #5 
WolfHhowling

If your wondering ware I got my info. My corry cat Cory has had pop eye, however my case was due to trauma to the eye, at the time the current in the tank was too strong and he bumped a rock. ( I researched it like mad)

He can see out of the eye, blink ( catfish blink its so cute), and he can also live a normal life....

Save his wasn't able to heal fully since the damage was bad, so he has forever a slightly odd eye. I love my little guy to death, and he lives a normal healthy life.

if hes not really eating, maybe try some garlic juice on his food.

Sounds like an infection of sorts.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #6 
Auburn Sakura

Well, it might be, his fins are clamped. And I see, well, I'm glad you Cory lived. He sounds sweet. And I'll see what I can do, the online thing says the medicine won't arrive until about the 16th. I hope my little guy can hang on until then. >3<
Old 05-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #7 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Sakura View Post
Well, it might be, his fins are clamped. And I see, well, I'm glad you Cory lived. He sounds sweet. And I'll see what I can do, the online thing says the medicine won't arrive until about the 16th. I hope my little guy can hang on until then. >3<
Ya him and max are a real hoot.

any way. Hope he hangs in there too. Keep my up dated will you?

Good luck, I am rooting for the little guy, and I am sure finnegan is too... save he's still mad I brought him home yesterday and didn't put him in a 34 gallon tank lol silly fish.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #8 
Auburn Sakura

Lol. XD And I'll try. I'll keep updating this with his condition I think. And thank you! Here that Cherche? You got people and other fishies rooting for ya! XD
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

How is Cherche doing? I can't see his eyes clearly in the photos, but he definitely doesn't look happy right now....

If you think he has popeye, I would try using Epsom salt. Start with a dosage of 1 teaspoon per gal. (You can go as high as 3 teaspoons/gal, if needed. But start with the lower dosage first.)

Epsom salt is inexpensive, and you can get it at supermarkets and grocery stores. Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) Since it doesn't contain sodium, it won't stress his kidneys (like aquarium salt does).

Since he's in a 1 gal tank and you're doing daily water changes, you can follow a procedure similar to the one outlined below.

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt per gallon of water.
    For example:
    1 gal tank = add 1 teaspoon Epsom salt.
    2.5 gal tank = add 2.5 teaspoons Epsom salt.
    Etc....
  5. Stir until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  6. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  7. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  8. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  9. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  10. Repeat steps 5-7, until an hour (or more) has passed.
  11. Gently release him into the tank.

In addition to helping with popeye, Epsom salt is good for internal issues, and it has some minor anti-bacterial properties too. So if there's something affecting his stomach, which is causing him not to eat, it may be helpful, too.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-04-2013 at 11:56 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #10 
Auburn Sakura

He's doing okay right now, at least I think he is. But thank you for the info, we actually change his water similarly to that procedure. We will try some epsom salt around tomorrow. ^.^

Tags
bettas, mardel's marasyn-2, popeye