Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #1 
Vizja13

My StudCo sucks...bettas aren't centerpieces

Our prom theme this year was Atlantis, so what does my StudCo think would make an awesome centerpiece on every table? Betta fish.

Not only is this absolutely cruel (come on teenagers are going to do awful things and can you imagine the noise? poor guys) but the fish clearly hadn't had water changes in ages. The poor guys were SICK. Tail rot EVERYWHERE, fish had bitten their tails off...terrible.

I rescued three, and my date and a friend each rescued one. Kara's is perfectly healthy (Like, the only one that was) and Cameron's had bitten his tail majorly off.

Of my three, I got a white cambodian female with some mild fin damage (could just be fin deformity but she's still getting treatment) and a red VT male, stunning boy and a flirt to the female, with mild fin rot and a little bit of other damage. Not too bad, these guys will be great in a week.

The last one though (off of my group's table) is in awful shape. I honestly don't know if he will survive the night. I suspect columnaris, he barely moves except to breath, floating sideways at the top of his cup (only have two hospitals, so the healthier (moving) fish got more space)

I am just so beyond pissed right now. Such cruelty. My physics teacher is in charge of StudCo...she will be getting a very angry me invading her lunch time.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #2 
Vizja13

Best I could get...only have cell phone atm and don't want to stress him any more, if I can avoid it...

Oops wrong thread...but you can see how bad this guy is.

Last edited by Vizja13; 05-05-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Poor fishes. You have every right to complain and this qualifies as animal cruelty (though perhaps not legally, as no one cares about fish.) . Someone once suggested that I sell the bettas I breed to couples who were getting married as center pieces, and I was just shocked. I was like WTH are you thinking, these are LIVE ANIMALS! What will happen to them after the ceremony? Ugh. Rant over. I hope your boy heals up, I know you will try your best. I would be pretty PO'ed with my teacher.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #4 
percyfyshshelley

Vizja, good for you for rescuing the ones you could and for speaking up out this cruelty. How does anyone think a sick, miserable fish with a rotting tail is a pretty centerpiece? Really disgusting. Ok I'll stop before I lose it completely.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #5 
Skyewillow

A lot of people don't know that fish get sick, let alone how to tell, how to diagnose, and subsequently treat an illness. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm glad to hear that you've rescued them, and that there's someone willing to be their voice. I hope they heal soon for you. I wouldn't go in hot and angry, but you should print off a care sheet, and photos of your rescues with little blurbs of info about their ailments. Keep it short and simple, people tend to lose interest if its too long.

I'm wishing you the absolute best of luck!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #6 
Vizja13

Sadly, the teal guy didn't make it through the night :( The other two are still doing fine, need to change their waterand see about getting one into a free 10 gal I have...the female will have to do with a jar until her QT is done and she can go in the divided ten.

I will certainly be doing that, need to compile something with the pictures I got, and ask my friends for pictures of their two. The two survivors don't actually LOOK sick (and certainly don't act it...I uncarded their jars this morning and they're flaring at each other. Good sign). Anyone know a link to a good care sheet?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #7 
Skyewillow

there actually should be one around here somewhere!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #8 
Vizja13

I'll have to dig for it.

Got Atlantis situated in a 10 gal that I luckily had sitting around...will need to pick up a filter in the next week and a heater...before winter my room is crazy hot in the summer. Maybe a light, though he is by a window and has a desk lamp over him, we will see how algae does there. I moved a 5.5 from the bookshelf to my desk to make space for Atlantis (the desk doesn't have space for a 10 and I don't want to push it with weight anyway) and the 5.5 had a ton of algae growth.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #9 
isochronism

I would think that someone involved on the Prom Committee came up with the idea. Studco (charming name, btw) took the opportunity to made some (irresponsible) sales. I can only imagine what some of the poor fish endured that (festive) evening.
Vizja, kudos to you for saving and caring :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #10 
Vizja13

Mm, not sure who came up with the idea, so I will be speaking with both advisers. I actually wish that they had sold the bettas at the end, it would have made a little more sense, but I know they tried to throw at least one away (the blue that died last night). They were worthless to them, they didn't care at all about the fish.

I saw some fish while I was at the dance with feathers and food in their bowls...my girl had some sparkles off someones dress in her water before I changed it. And if the music left me half-deaf after three and a half hours, who knows how those poor fish felt. Just...ugh, overall.

I seriously want to start calling the StudCo the StupidCo