Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #1 
ninjabunny

A Full Confession and Some Questions about My New Betta!

Hello all! I am new to this site and brand new to keeping bettas. Here's my story. You seem like nice people, so I will tell all.

A couple of months ago, I fell victim to the fish vase. Yes, I did. There I was, a lover of animals (a cranky rabbit, two overactive hamsters, and a cat), ready to embark on a new experience of pet keeping and the shop was selling miserable little deathtraps for fish and calling them charming homes.

My first betta was named Beofish (Beowulf... but fish... I'm an English professor, okay?). He was a mighty, kingly fish and floofed his fins and looked very happy at first in his vase with his little tiny castle. He ate well and was very interactive. Of course, that couldn't last. I didn't know I should be changing his water nearly every day. I didn't know he needed heat. I didn't know he needed space! Vague memories of successfully keeping a betta as a child made me think I was doing fine. Of course, he was doomed from the start. The mighty Beofish's passing was extremely upsetting, especially because I had the growing suspicion that it was my fault.

So I started doing research. We profs like research. I researched a LOT and discovered that bettas like space, warmth, clean water, hidey holes, plants, and all manner of things I had not given my poor Beo. So I determined that I owed the betta world penance. I would do it again and I would do it right. The vase went into the closet.

I bought a Marineland Hex 5 gallon aquarium because it seemed like most people agreed 5 gallons was a comfy size and I have just enough space. I bought live plants, a bigger castle with a little tunnel for the soon-to-be crowned king. I bought a heater, too, of course.

Beofish II was soon introduced to the new kingdom, a feisty brilliant red fellow who loves to jump out of the water to grab food from my finger and spends his days swooshing about in fine form. It's been two days and I am thoroughly in love.

If you've read this far, I'm grateful and impressed. And here are my questions:

1. I didn't cycle the tank. During all my research, I received conflicting opinions about whether a tank that size with one fish needed it. It sounded like if I do regular 50% water changes for the first several weeks, it would be okay. Question: have I hopelessly doomed another fish?

2. BeoII's personality is clearly very active and aggressive, which I love! I adore watching him floofing and flaring his magnificent fins and darting about. However, he spends a lot of time shimmying up and down along the sides of his tank seemingly attacking the glass in the front of his tank. It looks like he's banging his little face pretty hard against the sides at times, very agitated! Is he just seeing his reflection or is he still getting used to his tank? Or is he just a little crazy? I can't really cover up the front of his tank... so I'm not sure how to handle his behavior. I have this nasty sense that he's upset about something that I've done wrong.

3. The Hex 5 has a very quiet filter in the lid with a Biowheel, but I'm not sure if the flow it's creating is still too powerful for BeoII. He sometimes goes into the current and seems to be enjoying fighting it, but again, is he happy or upset? I can't tell! He does have plenty of places to go to escape the current, and I've been unplugging it at night just so I know he's able to rest. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this tank and has successfully lessened the flow. No, there is no setting to slow it down.

4. Finally, is there ANYthing else I can do to give BeoII the chance of a longer reign? In the name of my poor first fish who suffered for my ignorance, I want to do it right!

And dangit, I love the little guy already.

The obligatory pictures of my new resident warrior king:

Name:  BeoII.png
Views: 231
Size:  200.2 KB
Every king needs a castle.

Name:  BeoII2.png
Views: 220
Size:  205.6 KB
He spends a lot of time in the very front of the tank, possibly keeping an eye on my every suspicious move?

Name:  BeoII3.png
Views: 214
Size:  256.8 KB
Trying to attack me. Adorable!

Name:  BeoII4.png
Views: 214
Size:  187.3 KB

Last edited by ninjabunny; 05-04-2013 at 06:14 PM.
ninjabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #2 
xShainax

He isn't a crowntail. He looks like a red halfmoon rosetail
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #3 
ninjabunny

I actually just changed that! I was thinking of my old fish for some reason, who was a crowntail. Oops!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #4 
royal

i don't have your tank or filter, so I can't help you there, but I do know that beoII is seeing his own reflection and to prove his dominance to the "other" betta.

for a longer reign, remember to do a water change at least once a week, and to feed him and give him affection.
hope this helps, and welcome to bettafish.com!
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #5 
xShainax

Ah Lol. He is a beautiful fish. :)
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

[quote=ninjabunny;1965362]
If you've read this far, I'm grateful and impressed. And here are my questions:

1. I didn't cycle the tank. During all my research, I received conflicting opinions about whether a tank that size with one fish needed it. It sounded like if I do regular 50% water changes for the first several weeks, it would be okay. Question: have I hopelessly doomed another fish?

If it were my 5 gallon, I would probably do a 25% and 50% each week. I haven't had a 5 g though, so don't quote me. I do one 50% with my 10 g each week.

2. BeoII's personality is clearly very active and aggressive, which I love! I adore watching him floofing and flaring his magnificent fins and darting about. However, he spends a lot of time shimmying up and down along the sides of his tank seemingly attacking the glass in the front of his tank. It looks like he's banging his little face pretty hard against the sides at times, very agitated! Is he just seeing his reflection or is he still getting used to his tank? Or is he just a little crazy? I can't really cover up the front of his tank... so I'm not sure how to handle his behavior. I have this nasty sense that he's upset about something that I've done wrong.

He's probably just attacking his reflection. It's normal. Unless he's seriously hurting himself I'd not be concerned.

3. The Hex 5 has a very quiet filter in the lid with a Biowheel, but I'm not sure if the flow it's creating is still too powerful for BeoII. He sometimes goes into the current and seems to be enjoying fighting it, but again, is he happy or upset? I can't tell! He does have plenty of places to go to escape the current, and I've been unplugging it at night just so I know he's able to rest. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this tank and has successfully lessened the flow. No, there is no setting to slow it down.

Haven't used that tank. But, they don't really need a filter if you are concerned. None of my tanks have them.

4. Finally, is there ANYthing else I can do to give BeoII the chance of a longer reign? In the name of my poor first fish who suffered for my ignorance, I want to do it right!

What type of food are you feeding? New Life Spectrum pellets and Omega One pellets are the two top foods. Also, they like frozen brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, frozen glassworms/mosquito larva, frozen bloodworms as treats. Don't feed freeze dried.

I would keep some Epsom salt and aquarium salt on hand, just in case you ever need it.

It's nice to meet another "teacher". I'm actually just an instructor at a community college, a teaching assistant at my university and I work part time at PetSmart while I finish up my graduate work. As you can probably tell, it is not in English though .
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #7 
ninjabunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal View Post
i don't have your tank or filter, so I can't help you there, but I do know that beoII is seeing his own reflection and to prove his dominance to the "other" betta.

for a longer reign, remember to do a water change at least once a week, and to feed him and give him affection.
hope this helps, and welcome to bettafish.com!
Are weekly water changes necessary for a tank this size with a filter? Again, so much conflicting information! I've seen every other week up to once a month. I don't mind doing frequent water changes, but it seems like everyone has a different idea of what is reasonable.

No worries about feeding or playing with Beo II. I frequently reward myself with a break from grading essays to play the old classic Follow The Finger. He gets fed three pellets twice a day with a fasting day once a week.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #8 
ninjabunny

If it were my 5 gallon, I would probably do a 25% and 50% each week. I haven't had a 5 g though, so don't quote me. I do one 50% with my 10 g each week.

Thanks for the responses! Well, it sounds like weekly water changes are ideal, so I will start doing that.

He's probably just attacking his reflection. It's normal. Unless he's seriously hurting himself I'd not be concerned.

He seems okay so far and he's only been in the tank for two days, so he may calm down a bit eventually. I have been trying to avoid having his tank light on when the room is getting dark to see if that helps minimize reflection.

What type of food are you feeding? New Life Spectrum pellets and Omega One pellets are the two top foods. Also, they like frozen brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, frozen glassworms/mosquito larva, frozen bloodworms as treats. Don't feed freeze dried.

The food is by Aqueon. I have no idea if it is good or not. I wouldn't mind getting different food, although he isn't finicky about this stuff.

It's nice to meet another "teacher". I'm actually just an instructor at a community college, a teaching assistant at my university and I work part time at PetSmart while I finish up my graduate work. As you can probably tell, it is not in English though .

What do you teach? I was a graduate assistant while finishing my master's and now I am a part time prof at a local university. No PhD yet, but I am hopeful. I love teaching, though!

Last edited by ninjabunny; 05-04-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu

You should have an API Master Test kit. Testing your water parameters a couple of times a week helps determine when you need to make water changes. Sometimes twice in one week; sometimes once. A gravel vac is also a good buy so you can vac the gunk from the bottom when you do water changes.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #10 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabunny View Post
What do you teach? I was a graduate assistant while finishing my master's and now I am a part time prof at a local university. No PhD yet, but I am hopeful. I love teaching, though!
I teach Intro to Sociology at the community college, and I'm a TA for Introduction to Women's Studies. I have an MBA in Marketing, and I'm finishing up my MS in Sociology this summer (after 3 years, ). I should transition into the PhD program this fall as long as I finish my thesis this summer.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hex 5 tank, new fish