Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #1 
serenebeauty

Red face First Female (:

This is Tsunade, I saved her from walmart yesterday and she is my first female. The conditions she was living in was horrid, although she is pretty for a female, they figured she wasn't going to sell so they didn't keep her water clean or anything and she was towards the back. Im glad that all the other bettas bowl were clean, but they shouldntve just taken care of the fish they thought would sell. I am still somewhat new to the world of Betta and this is my second betta ive gotten this year. I also have a male black devil crowntail (also found in walmart) who is absolutely beautiful now. So if you wouldn't mind, try to classify her for me? And I don't plan on breeding her, but would she be a good female for breeding? im trying to find out the characteristics to look for, and what to avoid. Here are some pictures.(:

This is when I first rescued her. The cashier tried to argue with me that she was not a female, then I pointed out the fin difference between male and female and how she was visibly smaller than all the males.

serenebeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well if all her fins turn red then she will be Cambodian coloration but for now she's a pretty multi-colored!

She's very beautiful! Boy, if my walmart had females like they they'd be gone in an instant, we only ever have blue VT's, your girl is also a VT (veil tail) She looks like she's going to have a big personality! Which is almost my favorite part about the girls! Good luck with her and I'm so glad she went to a good home! :D
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #3 
Fin Fancier

Congrats on taking the plunge into female betta keeping. It is absolutely no different than male betta keeping except females are better ;). I have two males and a female. Of my three she is the most interactive, the easiest to keep, and not too bad a looker if I do say so myself; she's my avatar at the moment. Your girl is gorgeous. Have fun with her.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #4 
serenebeauty

Thanks! Ive definitely noticed a personality difference between her and Xavior (my red devil CT). He is very skiddish and I tried putting a snail with him and he tried to kill it, so now the snail has its own .5 gal. aquarium. whereas she likes being on the side of the tank where I am. she will also follow my finger and actually gets excited when I feed her, whereas Xavior just ignores it until it floats to the bottem, then he eats. She has a fun personality and I love it. (:
Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #5 
serenebeauty

Im not sure if its because she is cellophane or because the water she was kept in was horrible, but her gills are red. also under her head her scales are turning white instead of the cellophane like the rest of her body. could she be turing white, or is it possibly because the conditions she was in? (gonna go on a mini rant here) when I bought her, the cashier was looking for the id number (that was on top) and turned her bowl completely sideways -.- then she tried putting her in a grocery bag.. I told her I didn't want a bag, that I didn't want to put her into any more shock than shes already in, and she looked at me like I was stupid. I baby my pets (bettas especially) a lot, and when I was cleaning my old betta tank for her my mom said "oh just put her in with Xavior, they wont fight cause shes a girl!" and then my dad said "if he kills her we'll just go buy another one". at this point I was pretty mad, so I just continued cleaning the tank and sat in my room and watched her for a bit.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #6 
serenebeauty

The cashier also tried arguing with me that she was not a female(it was labeled as well). she said she was too pretty to be a female, and then I told her some of the visual differences between male and female, not to mention the size difference between her and all the other males.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol got to love some people.

It depends, she probably has some ammonia poisoning from not having her water changed. Cellophane is a type of coloration where the body is usually very pale and the fins are pretty much see through.

But good clean water will help with those and over time they will be healed. Do you plan on getting her a bigger tank? She would definitely enjoy having a little more room to swim around, not to mention a bigger tank is actually easier to clean :D

With a .5 gallon, ideally you'll be doing a 100% water change every other day (sorry if you already knew this, I just want to make sure she'll be getting some good care but I know that's already started since you brought her home! :D)

But anywho, girls also naturally have red "marks" on them as well which makes it a bit difficult sometimes to tell if it's ammonia burns or not. Here are some of my girls who have the red "markings". You can see Aurora is the lighter colored one and has the red marks, Phoenix also has them but since she's red it's a little harder to tell :)

Old 05-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #8 
serenebeauty

my snail is it the .5 gallon tank, Tsunade (my girl) is in a 1 gallon. and I already knew that, but thank you for being so polite about it. some people think you've just killed someone if you have them in a little tank. she is in a 1-1.5 (im not completely sure) tank, and do 100% change 1-2 a week with my boy who has a 3 gallon tank with a bubbler and under gravel filter, so im pretty good with my water changes. I will be changing hers more often since she just has a heater. her gills look different than yours, and there is more of it, so im assuming it is from ammonia. you cant really tell in the picture but in her cup there was all kinds of stuff floating in it, and there was poo all over the bottem.. I wanted to knock some sense into those people.. any fish with all that in it is gonna get sick, and you shouldn't shake it around if your looking for a code, bring the bowl to your eye level and turn it, tond flip it sideways. im glad I got her when I did, cause idk how much longer she would've lasted in that water. I saw her then walked away, and I couldn't stop hinking about her, so I went back and got her.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Alrighty, good to know ^^ I'm happy you are taking good care of her though!

Yeah most likely ammonia poisoning then, ugg yeah I hate when they tip the bowls like that and stuff. I had bought a girl from Wal-Mart as well (well she didn't make it one day because she was too far gone) but the employee did the same thing and she was just like "oh yeah most people don't buy the Bettas, don't know why you'd want this one, he (it was so plainly obvious it was a girl lol) looks pretty dead to me. You going to feed it to your cat or something?" she just laughed while I sighed and left.

It sucks because I used to work for Wal-Mart lol, I was the toy department though and we didn't have live fish thank god, I might have flipped a few lids if you know what I mean if I wasn't able to take care of them. People can just be so ignorant :( But that's the world today unfortunately.

But yeah clean water is the way to go to get rid of ammonia poisoning and of course not leaving food in and stuff which I'm sure you know :D It will take some time but it will eventually heal up when you keep on the water changes and stuff ^^ Good luck with her!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #10 
serenebeauty

is there anything I could get for her to help it? or should I just keep her water clean and warm?