Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #1 
aquagreen

What do I need for my sorority tank?

Hi guys. So, I'm going to be setting up a betta sorority tank in the next 2-3 months. Right now I'm researching and preparing. I'm trying to be economical because I don't have a big budget, but at the same time I'm fully aware that I will need many things in order to do this. I want to create something efficient and beautiful and carefully planned with what funds I have.

I want to do a 10 gallon tank. I thought about a 20, but most seem to agree a 10 gallon is fine (I plan to have 5 females) and due to space restrictions that would work well for me. I wondered, though, what sort of filter I should use? I hate the one I currently have in my 5 gallon and want something smaller. The flow is too strong for my betta without a baffle, and it's huge and ugly...seems to take up most of the tank (which is why I'm hesitant to just take it out of this tank and use it in the new one). Can anyone recommend something for a 10 gallon that won't be too overwhelming visually? There seem to be so many different types of filters and I don't know what I'm looking at/for.

If anyone knows of a good tank kit also for a decent price, could you direct me? I've been looking at the 10 gal grreat choice kit from petsmart and have been browsing everywhere but can't seem to find a better deal that makes sense. I strictly want glass, not acrylic (and preferably rectangular, not any of these odd shapes). My current tank is acrylic and I hate that.

Thanks for any help! :)

Last edited by aquagreen; 05-05-2013 at 09:52 AM.
aquagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #2 
crystalicethorn

I suggest an internal filter with a spray bar, because there are multiple outlets for the water so there wont be that much of a current. I'm not sure what brand it is, but there are many good ones with a spray bar. I would go to different stores to compare prices for both the heater and filter if I were you. As for the tank, i use a storage container so i cant help you there. Just make sure it has a hood cos they will jump out. :3
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #3 
aquagreen

Thank you, I'll look into that. I appreciate the guidance.

No worries haha, I know all about their jumping tendencies. :)
Old 05-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #4 
Elsewhere

I would suggest a HOB filter, my girls have no problem with them and it keeps the tank nice :) Basically what you need the most in your sorority tank is hiding places. If you think you have enough coverage with fake/real plants, add some more ;)
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #5 
aquagreen

Oh yes, I definitely plan to have lots of plants. :) Probably artificial, cause I'm horrible with plants in general and the aquarium adds a whole new dimension to that lol.