Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #1 
RachWC

Fish Waste/Worm?

Ok, this might be a silly question but what does a betta's waste (poop) look like? There is a very small worm type creature wrapped up like a spiral on the bottom of his bowl that I just noticed today. I've only had him for 2 weeks and only give him betta food so I don't think it is his food, but some of the food that fell to the bottom is getting moldy (I'm planning to change the tank tomorrow). What in the world could that thing be? He seems otherwise healthy and active, and even blew his first bubblenest for me today!

Thanks for your help,
Rachel
RachWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:08 AM   #2 
SKAustin

Well, If it moves, It may likely be a planaria worm. If not, then it may be fish waste. As far as the appearance of the Betta feces, just like nearly every other animal, it will vary based on diet and health factors.
SKAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #3 

Perhaps I am anal about this but food or poo shouldn't be on the bottom of the bowl or tank. A turkey baster is a quick way of getting to it between water changes. Also depending on the size of the tank or bowl water changes may be needed more often than one might think.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #4 
RachWC

Thanks for your help! I ended up deciding to clean the tank last night, and I couldn't find the little worm creature so maybe he ate it?! Anyway, now he is all fresh and clean. Thanks for the suggestion about a turkey baster. He has marbles at the bottom of his tank so the uneaten food might be difficult to get. I think there was a lot of uneaten food at the bottom because the first few days I had him he didn't eat much. Now I have a better sense of how much he will eat so hopefully that won't be much of a problem.

Rachel
RachWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #5 
SKAustin

Best of luck
SKAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #6 
okiemavis

Just a tip, if there's food gathering on the bottom, you're feeding him too much. You should feed him as much as he can consume in 1-2 minutes.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote