Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #1 
blu the betta

nature watchers

well im a bird watcher/ nature watcher and i was wondering if there were any others. you can post pics of things if you want like animals,birdhouses , bat houses. i have made a environment in our 7 acre field for our hummers , bats, owls, ground mammals, and birds. btw i saw the first hummer two weeks ago.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #2 
Laki

I love nature! There's a pair of bald eagles with a nest in town pretty close to Signal hill (huge tourist destination and fabulous local hiking hill).

In my city there is not a lot of wildlife but out around we have moose, sea birds, woodpeckers, grouse and partridge, some bats and owls in the boreal. And a rat who came in my backyard to eat the seeds I put out for the small junco's!! haha

Newfoundland does not have any raccoons, humming birds, wolves, or grizzlies. If I can get the money to go on a boat tour I can get pics of puffins, killiwakes, turns and gulls (for birds, my province has the world's largest sea bird colonies) and whales (Newfoundland is home to the world's largest gathering of humpback whales, then we have right, minke, sperm, fin and blue whales plus killer whales, beluga, harbour porpoise, white beaked dolphin, white sided dolphin).. It's just breathtaking to see these gigantic mammals in the wild.

What you can do is try to get pics of the animals who visit the things you set up and then learn about them online.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #3 
Artemis

I rescue the baby birds I find but the first of the season died yesterday and his brothers/sisters were found dead on the pavement :( We have a robin incubating eggs now though but the nest is really shallow so we are going to get more I betcha. https://www.facebook.com/WoodlandAvians
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #4 
Laki

More people need to read up on birds to save them from urban problems. I once found an American goldfinch dead on the pavement in front of my workplace and wildlife workers wouldn't even come get it. :<
Old 05-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #5 
Adnamac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
we have moose
Jealous! It is my goal in life to get somewhere and see a wild, live moose. I don't know why, but I really super want to just be driving and be like 'oh my god, MOOSE!' They just seem like really large, awesome animals.

But anyway....

Yes. I to love nature watching, and there's plenty of it where I live. My boyfriend makes fun of me sometime because I really just enjoy looking for animals and watching them. I think it's just awesome.
Adnamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #6 
registereduser

Here are some vids I took of some barn swallows outside my front door. I took them through the window. This was 2 summers ago I think. We put up a bird barrier so they won't be back Enjoy!

Building the nest:
https://vimeo.com/24399870

feeding babies:
https://vimeo.com/25889856

Big Babies!:
https://vimeo.com/26556807

Getting ready to fly:
https://vimeo.com/26557243

Almost gone:
https://vimeo.com/26607886
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

We have a large, treed yard so we get quite a few birds/squirrels/bunnies etc... There aren't many cool species of birds like bluebirds and cardinals up here, but the chickadees (which I have gotten to eat out of my hand before), sparrows, robins, etc are fun to watch. Goldfinches are one of my favorites but there arent many in the city. Pretty much the only thing I do is put out bird feeders and a variety of seeds and they come. I am intending to make some bird houses!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #8 
Laki

Oh Adnamac... 4:1 moose to humans here. It's ridiculous, there's tonnes of accidents and fatalities every year on the highways. They're enormous. Ever want to see a guaranteed moose, come to Newfoundland (holy crap, I turned my half of the thread into Newfie tourism! lol)

Aw, I like watching little birds tend their nests.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #9 
blu the betta

we also get the non-exiting birds. today/tomorrow im going to put up bird houses. we get kestrels (made a kestrel house), downy woodpecker, 1 squirrel, quail (rarely), gold finch, and the little brown birds (many different sparrows that take up half of the bird population here). the only colorful birds here are the bullocks orioles and the gold finches( WA state bird)

i am making a animal sanctuary in our field that we have no use of. i made 3 bird houses out of wood that is 100 yrs old. if you want to see pics you can. i have made a bat house and we have bats. cotton tail too. what do you feed the cotton tails? i know practically everything on feeding wildlife and its only because i only read non-fiction.

ARTEMIS
do you have a permit? and do the babies have their feathers yet?
i saw a dead peregrine falcon on a highway on Saturday. it was so sad. i wanted to call the wildlife department and tell them.

i have frogs that im planning to breed and than raise and release the young. im gonna put my pond in this summer too.

remember in the summer water is animals main priority of energy.

Last edited by blu the betta; 05-06-2013 at 09:07 AM.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #10 
Laki

You should be careful "feeding" cottontails. You DON'T want them to raise their babies there depending on hand outs. Instead, plant some annual herbs like parsley and oregano and others, maybe some scented grasses. That way, you can help them while keeping them wild. NEVER feed rabbits on plates or by hand.