Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #41 
blu the betta

any animal attractant/ helping hand(pretty much the same thing am i correct) ideaS?
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #42 
Laki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Flicker

Oh, I posted that bc I didn't know what yellow shafted meant, but yes, after reading it we do have yellow shafted ones.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #43 
blu the betta

laki are its under wing feathers yellow? yellow and red shafted are subspecies.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #44 
Laki

No idea, they're not really in town where I frequent.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #45 
LittleBettaFish

Honestly, everyone overseas always goes on about our spiders and snakes but I have never been bitten by a spider or snake even when my mum's dad, her ex-partner and my grandparents owned country properties that we visited very regularly.

I have seen maybe a dozen or so snakes. One I was running through the paddock and only saw it at the last moment, another I bent down to pick up a piece of rubbish and realised that the snake was curled up right next to it.

I am more terrified of animals that can chase me down and maul me to death like a black or brown bear. At least with a snake I may have a chance of defending myself but a bear would just mow me down and rip me to shreds.

I do not understand why Americans/Canadians don't see how scary some of their wildlife is. I watch some nature shows with people getting mauled by bears or being stomped on by deer or elk and I wouldn't even go on a bush walk if I thought those kinds of animals were lurking around haha.

This is in reply to Laki by the way.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #46 
trilobite

Lol I dunno, spiders are sly and get you when youre unaware. Hiding in your shoes and under the toilet seat
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #47 
LittleBettaFish

I never leave clothes on the floor and always shake my shoes and hats out first if I am staying up at my grandparents' farm. Poisonous spiders can be easily killed if you find them in your house or if they are non-venomous you can always just catch them in a tupperware container and put them out in the garden.

This however freaks me
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Emperor-Gum-Moth

We had a massive moth on one of our windows and I was too petrified to go out of the back door in case it flew at me. Took me a couple of days to realise it was dead haha.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #48 
trilobite

True I guess youd get used to the practices needed to avoid them. I found a new love for daddy long legs ever since I found one wrapping up a whitetail.
When I went to oz I got beaten up by ants haha

Lol! But that is a pretty one though. Do those guys fly into your face? Face fliers always scare me
Weve got these creeps
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2390/2...d2d55d56_o.jpg
Theyre called huhu beetles and of all the places they could fly they choose to go straight into your face. Plus they friggin bite. These are the creatures that I cant stand
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #49 
LittleBettaFish

Moths just do that panicked smashing into windows at night. There is always the chance that they could fry into your face though.

I am a daddy long legs rescuer. I hate killing them.

Those huhu beetles look crazy.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #50 
Laki

No you're right, LBF, I'm sorry if I came off the wrong way. I certainly would take the next flight to Aus if I could, the creepie crawlies wouldn't stop me. I'm sorry for perpetuating the myths. My cousin lives there now, actually, and she also confirmed what you said. Again, I'm sorry.

I guess moose kill more people in Newfoundland than any other mammal or living thing on the entire island. They're big, intimidating, they chase you down and they're quick!

Ugh, big moths and face fliers freak me out too. My co-worker was telling me how one of those large moths was resting on the chair at work and she didn't see it- but she touched it to move the chair and it fluttered in a panic on her hand- I laughed my ass off laughing.