Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #71 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I asked my son if he could try and get some photos of the birds that visit his backyard, he also has a Downy Woodpecker pair that visit and he puts out suet for them to eat, they will come right up to his back porch to eat the suet.

The area behind my house is certified to protect the wildlife here, we have deer and wild turkey and once I saw a fox being chased by a deer though the woods, it was so funny the doe must have been trying to keep the fox away from her young and she meant business and I bet the fox got that message loud and clear.

I am seeing a lot of rabbits also and when I go for walks with my dog Barkley who is a Corgi mix he stalks them but of course he can not catch them since I always have him on a leash and I do not believe he would try and hurt them anyway he just wants to chase them.

We sat down yesterday evening close to the pond and listened to the frogs, not sure what all types of frogs we have in our pond but I am going to try and find out by identifying their calls. Barkley wants to play with the frogs and he loves when he sees them jumping around, he get so excited..lol
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #72 
blu the betta

thats great that you help animals so much. i am a proud birder and have memorized all the birds in my region... well except some shorebirds. i know most of their calls. we had to take down our pond because the liner got ripped. i need to get some photos too.

do you know if you can make or do things on wildlife certified property?
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #73 
dramaqueen
Banned

I saw some kind of lizard run across the steps the other day here at my brother's.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #74 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu the betta View Post
thats great that you help animals so much. i am a proud birder and have memorized all the birds in my region... well except some shorebirds. i know most of their calls. we had to take down our pond because the liner got ripped. i need to get some photos too.

do you know if you can make or do things on wildlife certified property?
Thanks blu the betta we are all animals lovers in my family and my son is the one who started feeding all the birds and put up the bird feeders in his back yard. I really love it when I go visit with him and stay a few days so I can watch all the birds. I will get him to make a list for me so I can post here all the different types of birds we see there. My personal favorite is the Tufted Titmouse.

I am not sure but I do know there can be no hunting on wildlife certified property because of the wild turkey in the area behind my house I get people coming to my house asking if they can hunt the turkey back there and I always tell them NO and I do not allow hunting on my property either. I get so excited when I see the wild turkeys walking though my front yard to get to the wooded area to the side of my house, there is always a fairly large group so they must travel together as flock.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #75 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I saw some kind of lizard run across the steps the other day here at my brother's.

I bet in Texas you are going to see a lot of lizards DQ, I see the young blue tail lizards back here, they are adorable I love them.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #76 
blu the betta

heres a list of birds ive seen so far: greater white-fronted goose, ross's snow goose, Canada goose, crackling goose, trumpeter swan, wood duck, American wigeon, Eurasian wigeon, mallard, lesser scaup, bufflehead, ring-necked pheasant, California quail, pied-billed grebe, horned grebe, American white pelican, double-crested cormorant, great blue heron, great egret, snowy egret, black-crowned night-heron, white-faced ibis, turkey vulture, osprey, bald eagle, northern harrier, cooper's hawk, swainson's hawk, red-tailed hawk, furruginous hawk, rough-legged hawk, american kestrel, peregrine falcon, sandhill crane, killdeer, common tern, rock pigeon, mourning dove, eurasian collard-dove, barn owl, western screech-owl, great horned owl, great gray owl, short-eared owl, common nighthawk, Vaux's swift, calliope hummingbird, roufus hummingbird, belted kingfisher, Lewis's woodpecker, downy woodpecker, northern flicker, western wood-pewee, western kingbird, eastern kingbird, black-billed magpie, American crow, common raven, western meadow lark, tree swallow, northern rough-winged swallow, bank swallow, cliff swallow, barn swallow, red-breasted nuthatch, pygmy nuthatch, marsh wren, American robin, varied thrush, gray catbird, European starling, cedar waxwing, orange-crowned warbler, yellow warbler, yellow-rumped warbler, western tanager, fox sparrow, song sparrow, chipping sparrow, white-crowned sparrow, dark-eyed junco, black-headed grosbeak, bobolink, red-winged blackbird, brewer's blackbird, brown-headed cowbird, bullock's oriole, house finch, pine siskin, American goldfinch, lesser goldfinch, house sparrow. its a lot isn't it?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #77 
blu the betta

not everyone loves animals in my family. my 4yr old brother loves guns & hunting. im going to be the one protecting the animals while he is killing them.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #78 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Lol sounds like my brother. I asked him if he knew where meat comes form and he's like "Animals, but I don't care.".

I have not memorized the birds that live here or anything, I am happy with feeding them.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 06-11-2013 at 01:27 AM.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #79 
blu the betta

oh i forgot the broad-tailed hummingbird.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #80 
blu the betta

has anyone watched the new series north America? it teaches you a lot about animals.

if you guys are wondering something about animals just ask me. im 97% sure i can answer your question.