Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2014, 06:00 AM   #1 
Kaffrin

Baby Betta Journal

After the recent death of a loved betta- a friend had given me a baby for my birthday! Now, I'm a bit distressed since, I kind of murdered the last one(Oh Gloria :c I couldn't get your meds on time! Can't forget the grand ol' time we had trying to diagnose you.. yeah...) It also doesn't help that I've no idea how to care for the little one!

Anyway, I would like to bring you all on our journey~ I will not get too attached to this boy as of yet since he is quite young and susceptible to disease. Therefore he will not be named until I see him grow much older.

The current conditions for his living are quite.. interesting. I had to pull out a heater from my cycling tank(goodbye, cycle.) and shove it into -gasp- a vase! I hear that young ones are placed in small volumes of water while breeding, so I figured it was alright as long as I had a heater in it. From the looks of it, seems to be a .5 gallon. I have it at 80-82 degrees with a tiny bit of anacharis. I'm also feeding him hikari bio-gold pellets (4 a day cut in half) spread out between two feedings. Oh, I will also be changing the water 50% a day since I hear that's also good for their growth.

I seem to have forgotten the most important part, huh! Pictures.

(He has a kink at the end of his tail, I wonder if that will harm him in the long run)
It will be distorted for quite a while due to the vase's glass work. I will probably put the little one in a 1g/2g if/when he gets older. Also, if I'm doing something wrong with the care- please do not hesitate to correct me!

Last edited by Kaffrin; 04-13-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Kaffrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So here is the basic care outline for baby Bettas:

Heat is important; keep it around 78-82 ideally. The higher the temp the faster they will metabolize everything which means more food more frequently. That's true with all fish. So twice a day feedings is fantastic, three times a day isn't totally necessary but nice if you can. Change water daily around 50% or more if you can to remove the growth stunting hormone that they excrete. Frozen foods will be your best friend as well, you can feed those three-four times a week to the baby although some of them aren't overly nutritious like Brine Shrimp so mixing it up will be good. Daphnia is a great natural laxative for them. Ideally you want at least a gallon and over, the larger the water volume the easier it is to care for them. The .5 will be all right for now but I still suggest to get a larger tank when you can. Live plants can also help dilute the growth stunting hormone, has to be a planted tank though with actively growing plants so if you had a whole bunch of anacharis that was happily growing; that will help as well.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #3 
Kaffrin

Ooh, thank you very much! I DO have quite a lot of frozen bloodworm cubes. I haven't fed them much(maybe like, 1/2 of one a day) since I heard they were very "rich".

Currently, I'm cycling a 10g planted tank that I'm pretty sure I've either broken the cycle or stalled severely due to taking out the heater. I hope my plants won't die :c.

As for this journal I believe I will be updating daily for the first week or two to document his overall health. After it will probably be weekly updates. Hopefully the lil' fella grows up strong!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, the frozen foods can be fed more often to baby Bettas but with adults, best to keep to twice a week or less is fine :)

No heater shouldn't kill your cycle off unless the temp dips below 50 degrees or so, it could slow it, yes, but it should be fine. BB do like higher temps around 80-90 though. Do you have a thermometer in the 10 to check the temp?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #5 
Kaffrin

Yes, it's pretty much at 55-60 degrees in the 10g, so I'd assume it's fine. Also, since you say it's alright for young bettas to have bloodworms- is it alright to continue this one on daily feedings of it? I heard that they need high protein diets at a young age- so I was also thinking of feeding him some crushed granules/baby shrimp from one of the old tetra food bottles I have around.

Also, some closer pictures! He's pretty darn quick- so it was a struggle to snap a pic! The lil' spikes at the end of his tail make it look like he'll end up a crowntail~
Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Daily probably is a little excessive, every other day is okay but make sure the other feeding isn't frozen foods and regular pellets. It's best if you can avoid low quality foods like Tetra, TopFin or Hikari. I really recommend New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula or if you want to buy the Grow formula, that's cool too. The thing with foods is, and this is true for cat and dog foods as well, they contain fillers. Fillers are anything Wheat, Corn or Soybean and the more the food contains fillers the cheaper the company is trying to make it. Fillers are really hard to digest for them so this is why we don't want fillers in the first three ingredients.

The first three ingredients are the more important as ingredients are listed by weight so the most stuff in the food will be at the top! You definitely do not want fillers in the first two for sure, the third can be a Wheat filler as wheat is often a binder to help hold the food together. So take a look at your foods and the ingredients to see just how good or bad they might be. Don't use low quality foods, just throw them out; you'll do your fish more harm than good if you keep using them.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #7 
Kaffrin

I understand what you mean~ I have a lil' kitty myself- I'm so picky about her foods! I always look for something that I can recognize as an actual food within the first ingredient. Can't believe I didn't think this applied to the fishy community as well- silly me :I

I've often passed NLS in my local store- sheesh 8$ for a bottle. I don't think I'd be able to pay for that and use it up before it expires- waste of money in the long run! I've heard good reviews about omega one- it runs typically about 4$ in my area. The ingredients listed in that particular one seems pretty promising. Plus, it's a much smaller bottle!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh good God! 8 dollars! Yeah nope lol, my little containers were 4 dollars and under, do you have a PetCo around you? They tend to carry more NLS and more of the smaller containers.

Omega One is the next best although I still don't technically like them because they do split up their wheat content to make it look like they are better but really their Wheat content should be around second on the list, but yes they are still better than the other brands. You will also have to split the pellet since Omega tends to be larger than the NLS Betta formula or Small Fish formula, even the Thera A+ formula most of the times. But if that isn't an issue, you can use Omega.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #9 
Betta Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Omega One is the next best although I still don't technically like them because they do split up their wheat content to make it look like they are better but really their Wheat content should be around second on the list.
Wow, I never really paid attention to that.. You're right!

4th ing. wheat flour, 5th wheat gluten. Pretty sneaky.

I learned something today :)
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #10 
Kaffrin

Day 3:

Had a lil' scare as I fed him too much freeze dried baby shrimp- he blew up like a balloon! I didn't want to throw off his feeding schedule, so when I got home I gave him the tiniest bit of food since his stomach went down.

Not to be gross or anything, but this is like the first time I've ever seen a betta poop. I feel like I've achieved something for some reason, LOL. I've never seen my past bettas do such a thing!

I've sucked it up and decided to go with a pricey NLS! My reason is that I can avoid wasting such a large amount of product by getting more mouths to feed<3

Some pictures! I find it cute that during his feedings- that the blackish portions of his fins turns into a beautiful turquoise! I wonder why that is~ I hope to catch it in a picture soon!