Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2014, 03:11 AM   #1 
Schmoo

[insert clever title]

I like to talk about Admiral Ackbar and what's going on with him, so I figured this would be an appropriate place for that. [:
Plus, I know the people reading this will actually care, as opposed to the poor saps who read my other blog.

Tonight the admiral got a 100% WC. He's been bloated for the past week or so (and showing signs of screwy buoyancy the past day or so), and I was trying to treat him with Melafix, which did not work. So, I rinsed his bowl really well with hot water to get rid of all the residue and what not, then set up an epsom salt treatment. I have a gallon milk jug that I use to pre-treat his water (just in case I have to do a quick/emergency WC or anything), and that helped a lot with mixing the ES well. I raised the temperature in his bowl a bit, too. I plan on doing a 25% WC in a few days, and hopefully there'll be improvement.

Once he was returned to his home he swam around a bit; he even flared at me! Now he's nestled in the synthetic pink plant that he has, which is new. I've never seen him do that before. Then again, I don't watch him every second of every day (as much as I'd love to).
Schmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #2 
Schmoo

I'm getting ready to head to bed me thinks, so I checked in on the admiral. I crouched down by his bowl (it's sitting on a small end table), and he wriggled out of his hiding spot to come say hi. I put my finger against his bowl, and he wiggled some more at me (I may have even seen some gill flaring). I increased the temperature in his bowl a bit more, also. He's now fully emerged from his plant, and hanging out in the middle of his bowl (as opposed to floating more towards the top).
Old 10-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #3 
hrutan

Glad he's feeling better. :)

Melafix isn't going to work for bloating...it's good for small wounds, mild fin rot, damaged fins and things, though.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #4 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

^+1
Epsom salt is the right way to go, you could also try fasting him or feeding him frozen daphnia
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #5 
Schmoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrutan View Post
Glad he's feeling better. :)

Melafix isn't going to work for bloating...it's good for small wounds, mild fin rot, damaged fins and things, though.
See, that's what I thought, but the people at Petco said that it would work for bloating, too. I didn't want to waste the $8, but my husband wanted to try it, and we figured -- worst case -- we intend to add more fin babies when we can afford to, so it'll be handy to have, just in case.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #6 
Schmoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridinguckgirl14 View Post
^+1
Epsom salt is the right way to go, you could also try fasting him or feeding him frozen daphnia
I started him on ES last night, and plan to fast him until he's better. :]
Old 10-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #7 
hrutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoo View Post
See, that's what I thought, but the people at Petco said that it would work for bloating, too. I didn't want to waste the $8, but my husband wanted to try it, and we figured -- worst case -- we intend to add more fin babies when we can afford to, so it'll be handy to have, just in case.
Unfortunately, advice at pet stores is hit or miss. Still, creating a stock of medication is always a good thing.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #8 
Schmoo

I got home from work and errands not too long ago, and the first thing I did was check on Admiral Ackbar. He's back to hanging out at the top of his bowl, but when I greeted him he wiggled around a bit. I'm sure it's just because I'm looking for it, but I think he may be slightly less bloated? I'll have to get a better look after Huzbug wakes up (he works overnights, so he's currently asleep in our room, which is where the admiral is).

I stopped by Walmart on the way home to pick up kitty litter for the fur babies, and I went down the fishy aisle as well. I bought the admiral some freeze-dried bloodworms (I know, I know, frozen is the way to go, but my wallet is rather bare atm...) because I like him to have variety in his diet. So now he has his pellets, tubiflex worms, and bloodworms. He can't have any of it though because the plan is to fast him until he's better. I'm also going to bring up the temperature in his tank a bit. Today's been almost downright cold, and our room can be rather drafty...
Old 10-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #9 
Schmoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrutan View Post
Unfortunately, advice at pet stores is hit or miss. Still, creating a stock of medication is always a good thing.
There's one lady who works there that really knows her fishy stuff, so I thought that maybe they all did...but no. Ohhh well~ Like you said, creating a stock is good. c:
Old 10-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #10 
Schmoo

Browsing the fish aisle reminded me of the tank that we want to get for the admiral. He does just fine in his 2.5, but I think he'd be a happier boy if he had a bit more space, as well as a friend or two. I had a 6 gallon hexagon LED tank in mind, but now that I'm browsing the site I found it on...I can't find it. =/ I found another that I like, though, and I think it'll work better in our room.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...m-Kit/39326358

And like I said, we'd like to get the admiral a friend or two. I'm thinking either two guppies or three neon tetras. Huzbug would like an oscar, but I think that'd be a bit much...