Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #1 
clopez1

10 gallon rescape

I ordered some plants so I want to make a journal to be able to post as I arrange my plants and have them grow in. First picture is my tank before my new plants came in. For anyone who is curious..
Eheim 2213
finnex stingray
eco complete
cobalt accu therm 50 heater
temp stays around 78 - 84 degrees
Attached Images

Last edited by clopez1; 05-23-2015 at 09:12 PM.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:54 PM   #2 
clopez1

This is a picture of the day of plant delivery. Most f the plants are in emersed form so they have to acclimate and change to submersed form.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #3 
clopez1

Got rid of the sunset hygro so I could have more room to carpet the staurogyne repens. Waiting for them to get a bit accustomed to the tank and also waiting for tweezers I ordered from eBay to get here. Debating if I want to have the alternanthera reineckii mini in a patch like they are or border the blyxa japonica with it maybe 2 plants wide around them. Open to opinions and suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #4 
clopez1

So my tweezers are out for delivery, finally! Open to suggestion on plant placement. One option I thought of is to have a staurogyne repens bush on the left back, blyxa in front of that bordering. Leave the crypts where they are and Alt reineckii mini on the right back. Fill in the rest with staurogyne reopens I clip off the bush once it starts filling up to carpet. Let me know what you think or what you would do.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #5 
clopez1

ok so today I got rid of the alt mini. It was way too stubborn and when I would try to plant it the plants would just fall apart so in the trash they went. May be for the better since my light was probably not strong enough for it. Now all that's left is to wait for the staurogyne to grow, clip and fill in the spaces till I have a carpet.
Attached Images

Last edited by clopez1; 05-26-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #6 
Bpepp33

subbed!
Bpepp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I suggest getting some tall leafy plant to but in the back right corner for your Betta. While the carpet will be beautiful, Betta's still have their own needs and he'll really appreciate the cover! You can do anything; Water Wisteria (Hygrophila Difformis), Temple Hygro, Hygro Temple 'Narrow', Ludiwigia Repens is one of my choice plants; easy and has good color too. Rotala Indica would be a nice plant as well, small leaves so you can have a nice jungle look in the back with the carpet in front.

I'm a big fan of carpet in front with jungle in the back which is like...all my tanks lol.

I highly suggest using Root tabs or Osmocote tablets to help your Starugyne Repens, they really appreciate the root food. Mine are in a soil based tank and are doing wonderful with that. Eco-complete is a great substrate, but it's still inert compared to soil which holds nutrients, all plant substrate are just mixtures of clay and such which have some minerals but the plants will still highly benefit from a root tab placed in there. Actually, I use Jobes plant sticks from walmart, the ones for house plants! I break mine into thirds and stick into the substrate, my Dwarf hairgrass goes wild for them! My entire 1.5 Tetra cube is a grass tank ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #8 
clopez1

I was thinking the same about the leafy plant on the right, my only problem with that is I don't want my banana lily to get lost in it. Unless I get something really dark or red the lily wont stand out. Now another thought I have is to get another finnex stingray and add red root floaters to one add color and to give my betta cover. Right now he loves hiding under the large lily leaves. I will look into the tabs and add some to help my carpet grow.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I recommend Dwarf Water lettuce instead of Red Root Floaters, none of the roots are red on either, but the DWL get's nice long roots whereas the RRF is very small roots. I have both of them and sell DWL. The DWL grows quickly, but it's easy to trim and remove so you can keep it in the corner with some patience. The frill will be enough to offset the lily.

Rotala Indica and Ludwigia Repens both are a more reddish/orange versus a bright green, the lily will stand out against that for sure.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #10 
clopez1

They wont be too large for a 10 gallon tank? I do like the red plant ideas, would save me from having to buy another light.

Last edited by clopez1; 05-27-2015 at 11:54 AM.