Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #1 
LadyNightraven

LadyNightraven's Betta Journal

I thought that since I'm starting a new adventure in betta keeping with the purchase of my new marble yesterday, it might be fun to keep a "journal."

I'd had bettas when I was a kid, but I was young and ignorant and inexperienced, so it generally didn't turn out well for the poor fish. I hadn't had any interest in having fish as an adult, but then Rakki came along. My little rescue fish was left behind in a rental house when the renter moved out, and my landlords gave him to my fiance and me because they know we're animal lovers. I fell in love with the little guy's flowing fins and feisty personality. He suffered through my learning curve, and he's been with us for about a year and a half so far. He's been happily living it up in a 5-gallon tank for almost ten months now.

I didn't have any other bettas other than him. Until yesterday.

As an early birthday present, my fiance took me to Petco to pick out a betta. I was looking for a mustard gas initially, but then I spotted this little marble deltatail. We walked around the rest of the store while I decided if I wanted to get this fish or go to Petsmart to see if they had a mustard gas. I ended up deciding I couldn't leave him, so he came home with us.

New fishy is temporarily settled in Rakki's old 1-gallon bowl until I can buy a proper tank and heater in a week or two. He seems to be making himself at home. He already ate three NLS pellets for me today once he figured out pellets are food. He let one sink, then inspected the second one and decided to try it. I guess he liked it because he ate two more. I put a little silk plant, a new anubias I'd bought, and an extra leaf hammock in the bowl with him, and he already loves the anubias. I guess that means I'll have to make sure he has some live plants in his future tank.

Rakki is, of course, getting plenty of attention so he doesn't get jealous, haha.

No name yet for new fishy, but I'm already turning over names in my head. I want to see what his personality is like first. And how his colors develop, I guess, since he looks to be a marble. He has a couple of blue spots on his tail right now, a transparent area in his tail, and the most adorable black mask on his face.

These are some ideas that are floating around:
Darwin (because he might change color over time, ha)
Ghost (suggested by my mom)
Phantom
Yurei (Japanese word for ghost)
Olaf (a snowman with a colorful personality, and I like Disney princess movies)
Yuki (Japanese word for snow)
Borealis (like the aurora borealis)
Bandit (because of his mask)

More ideas to come, I'm sure.

I'd love to hear any name suggestions you might have.
Attached Images

LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:31 AM   #2 
Tress

Your new guy is lovely! Rakki is cute too ;)

I think Borealis is nice, maybe something to do with Ice, Glacier, Arctic and such?
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #3 
LadyNightraven

New fishy got his first 50% water change tonight. My plan is to do a 50% WC on Mondays and Wednesdays and then a 100% on Fridays for as long as he's in the 1-gallon bowl. I tested his water tonight and the ammonia was only up to 0.25, so I think I'm on the right track. Maybe his anubias is helping a little, too. New fishy was so good during the WC. He seemed more curious than anything. I hope he's as good for his first 100% WC later this week.

Both boys got their evening pellets and seem happy.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:55 AM   #4 
LadyNightraven

I think I've finally settled on a name for my new fishy. I'd narrowed it down to Borealis and Yurei, and I started catching myself thinking of him as Yurei.

So, my new little DeT boy will be known as Yurei, a Japanese word for ghost.

Even if he ends up changing colors on me, I still like the name.

Yurei got another 50% water change tonight. He wasn't happy about me removing water, but he played in the bubbles when I added new water. I usually feed my fish after water changes, and I think he's starting to understand he'll get something nice after the water change is done. He got a little overenthusiastic when I dropped in the first pellet and missed when he first grabbed for it, but he did fine after that.

Rakki has been hanging out in his tube, adding onto his bubble nests, and generally being his little tough guy self.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:07 AM   #5 
LadyNightraven

Yurei made his first bubble nest tonight! I'd like to think this means he's getting more comfortable being in a home instead of a Petco cup.

He's getting his first 100% water change tomorrow. I'm a little nervous since I haven't done this in a while. Rakki is never easy to catch when he has to be cupped. Maybe Yurei will be a little easier. I can hope, right?

Today was my birthday, and I celebrated by going to work. I work at a small-town library with a great little group of people, so it wasn't such a bad thing. We do a "Birthday Fairy" thing, which is like Secret Santa except with birthdays. One of my friends at work drew my name, so today I received a pumpkin pie complete with Cool Whip and a really cute card signed by all my co-workers with $25 in it.

I like pumpkin pie better than I like most cake, so it was a good thing.

The money will be going toward getting Yurei a bigger tank. Last year the gift card I got for my birthday ended going toward buying Rakki's 5g tank and getting him out the 1g bowl Yurei is currently in. I guess it's becoming a tradition that money received on my birthday goes toward new tanks.

Hmm... does that mean I might get another fish next year? Who know!
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #6 
LadyNightraven

I've been trying to figure out why Yurei sometimes looks weird to me, and I think I finally have it. I'm so used to having a betta who's a fin biter, even though Rakki doesn't bite as much as he used to. Yurei's fins, even his tail, are still pristine. Granted, I haven't had Yurei quite a week yet, but he seems more chill overall than Rakki. A little more skittish, too. And I have yet to see Yurei flare. But I guess he could still be getting used to things. He seems to like peeking at me from behind a leaf and then coming closer and wiggle dancing for me.

Rakki has been hanging out in his tube for the past hour now, but if I wave to him, even from across the room, he'll meander out and flare at me and wiggle around before making a circuit around his tank. Crazy fish.

Quick bit of randomness... there's a spider, maybe a wolf spider, hanging on the outside of the window screen. Watching it got me thinking that it could be interesting to have a tarantula, but that's probably not a good idea when my fiance hates spiders and one of my friends is terrified of spiders.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #7 
Jonthefish

I would like a tarantula one day ^ 3 ^

Cute fishie ! Very creative name , I like it !
Jonthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #8 
LadyNightraven

Thank you, Jonthefish.

Rakki is supposed to be Japanese for "lucky," or at least that's what Google said. *shrugs* Since he was originally supposed to be my fiance's and my fish, my fiance helped name him. But I ended up being the one who took pleasure in taking care of him and reading about how I could keep him healthy and happy. My fiance likes him, but mostly he just plays with Rakki or feeds him for me sometimes.

With Yurei, I ended up deciding to continue the Japanese name theme, so he ended up being named a Japanese word for ghost.

...I tend to be a little long-winded when I write, if you couldn't tell.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:12 PM   #9 
LadyNightraven

Yurei got his first 100% water change tonight, and he handled it like a pro. I tried not to rush him when I was trying to catch him with a coffee cup, and once I had him in it, I gently transferred him to his Petco cup to wait. Taking a leaf from myexplodingcat's journal, I put his anubias in the cup with him, and he seemed very calm while I rinsed his silk plant and thermometer and rinsed out his bowl. Once I'd refilled the bowl with new water, I gently tipped him back home. He got an extra pellet tonight for being such a good boy.

The only mistake I feel that I made was being a little off on the temperature of the new water. I thought it couldn't be more than 2 degrees different by feel. It was more like 4 degrees. I think I might buy another thermometer to measure new water for water changes.

My fiance thinks Yurei is getting a little more color on his body. While I'd be happy if he kept the colors he has now, I'm kind of excited to see how his colors might change.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:35 PM   #10 
LadyNightraven

Yurei just flared for the first time! I decided have a quick peek at him, and he zoomed over to the side of the bowl flaring. So cute!