Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2014, 04:01 AM   #1 
litelboyblu

Blu's Fish Journal!!!

So it's been about a year and I have NEVER thought of making a journal until 1:56 in he morning haha! So this is were I will be posting "What's Up!?" With my tanks ;) So... With that out of the way I shall start posting away!

I just recently received 2 new fishes!!! I bought them off of aquabid and picked them up 2 days ago :) I still don't have names so feel free to suggest any to me! I'll post a pic of the males tank by today (as he is a little quirky and shy about the camera!) otherwise here is my blue butterfly hm female in her marineland 4 gallon tank! These pictures are from yesterday, I'll get some more today but I'm pretty tired lol it's 2:00!!! Eek! I better get some sleep lol!
Attached Images

litelboyblu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:19 AM   #2 
Pandanke

Lovely! I wish I could find some nice decorative wood for my tanks, but nowhere local sells it. That is beautiful. Are you thinking of growing moss on the branches?
Pandanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:26 AM   #3 
litelboyblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandanke View Post
Lovely! I wish I could find some nice decorative wood for my tanks, but nowhere local sells it. That is beautiful. Are you thinking of growing moss on the branches?
Thank you!! I was thinking of filling it with some moss but honestly idk where it would look best :/ I'm also wanting to add more plant (maybe a carpeting plant to fill the whole right side up ?)

I actually got my wood from my lfs and they have tons of wood like this it's $20 per wood or $15 it's pretty pricey but it's amazing pieces! I was lucky enough to find this beautiful piece there!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:02 AM   #4 
Pandanke

I think something taller on the right side might be better, maybe like some Argentinian Swords in the back corner.

I actually kind of like the clean sand for the majority of it, though. I think moss just posed as 'tree leaves' on a few of the branches (like the one on the far left and a few of the taller mid ones) ... Possibly Fissidens Fontanus or Christmas Moss are my favorites... It would look really elegant.

Anubias Nana Petite or other miniature varieties planted around the base, or possibly Dwarf Hairgrass might look okay as it tends to stay somewhat sparse in most sands.

Your tank is really up to you, just throwing ideas haha :D

Still jealous about that wood, the best our local fish stores have is some scraggly looking driftwood chunks. I've even gone to the next major city over, and none of their stores have anything usable either.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:15 AM   #5 
litelboyblu

Quote:
I think something taller on the right side might be better, maybe like some Argentinian Swords in the back corner.

I actually kind of like the clean sand for the majority of it, though. I think moss just posed as 'tree leaves' on a few of the branches (like the one on the far left and a few of the taller mid ones) ... Possibly Fissidens Fontanus or Christmas Moss are my favorites... It would look really elegant.

Anubias Nana Petite or other miniature varieties planted around the base, or possibly Dwarf Hairgrass might look okay as it tends to stay somewhat sparse in most sands.

Your tank is really up to you, just throwing ideas haha :D

Still jealous about that wood, the best our local fish stores have is some scraggly looking driftwood chunks. I've even gone to the next major city over, and none of their stores have anything usable either.
Yeah, I was thinking of some nice long leaved plants but It would look kinda odd if you saw a bunch of plants on the right and nothing else to compliment it :/ I'm really picky about how my tanks look lol! I like the moss idea I actually have some moss I am not using so I'll try to tie it up ;)! Btw does dwarf hair grass need co2 I hear it's good to use but I'm just curious I might even set up my own DIY co2 system today!!

I honestly can't find any good/nice driftwood pieces anywhere else except online and my lfs! Lol my lfs is about 15 mins away so it's not much of a drive! It's pretty fun to go there! Haha why isn't it not fun? It's a shame that their Bettas don't have clean nice warm water though :( that's why I visit petco to look at some Bettas, most of my fish are from Thailand otherwise :P
Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 AM   #6 
Pandanke

I have it in non co2 tanks with quite a bit of surface agitation, and it grows okay. It's not dead, but it doesn't rapidly spread - which I like. It's in my 'don't pay attention to' tank which has random cuttings and giant Hygro Compacta & Argentinian Swords lol. Nothing dosed, just fish poop and light.

I am planning on setting up a DIY co2 possibly this weekend, too. Update us on how yours goes!

And yeah... I have... 7 bettas. I love them dearly, but most came in really bad shape. My favorite had bad SBD for the first few weeks, and when I found him he was laying on his side :( He is so personable now, though. Has a whole 20g to himself currently.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:10 AM   #7 
litelboyblu

Yeah I'll update you on the co2 for sure!!!

It'll be my first time :P you know what they say 1st times a charm (it's 2nd times a charm but I'm sticking with. 1st lel)

It's a good thing your fav boy has a whole tank to himself ^__^ VERY spoiled!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:03 AM   #8 
Pandanke

Haha, he is... I really want to put him in the 7.5g on my desk because I just LOVE his company, but I'm not sure how I want to arrange it yet. I am tempted to do DIY co2 for these 7.5g too, but I wonder if it's possible to overdose? Probably not... but something to think about.

I definitely want to do it on the 20 though!!! I even have the ladder here for it. How are you going to be dispersing it into the tank, do you know?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:14 AM   #9 
litelboyblu

Quote:
Haha, he is... I really want to put him in the 7.5g on my desk because I just LOVE his company, but I'm not sure how I want to arrange it yet. I am tempted to do DIY co2 for these 7.5g too, but I wonder if it's possible to overdose? Probably not... but something to think about.

I definitely want to do it on the 20 though!!! I even have the ladder here for it. How are you going to be dispersing it into the tank, do you know?
I honestly don't know anything about co2 I've studied it for like a day lol and got bored but now I'm really interested! I want to add some staurogynes but I'll be thinking about co2 aswell. I'm very scared if it as well, I've heard stories of peoples co2 system crashing and it killed their fish. This was on a different forum which I do not remember, but I'm still scared, just the thought of losing my fish... :( not so good.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:57 AM   #10 
Pandanke

Well, from my understanding (and again, co2 newbie here too...) the DIY systems are virtually impossible to overdose on. The horror stories are the regulators on the pressurized co2 systems.

Because DIY is done with yeast, it is basically self regulating, I think it is like 1 litre per 10 gallons of water, up to 40 gallons.

So for my 7.5s I'd not do a full litre, and for my 20 I'd do 2... And I guess for yours, you'd do like half that for the 10g or so? I think it's just needing experimentation. I'll post the recipes I've read below.

Thankfully, Bettas are labyrinth fish so they can get up to the surface to breathe, and as long as you have surface agitation the water should release co2 and intake oxygen fine.

Recipe 1 for 1 Litre Bottle : Bread Yeast (Red Star, etc)
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp baking yeast
1/8 tsp baking soda
Tepid Water - some places say 1c, some places say 2c...

Recipe 2 for 1 Litre Bottle : Champagne Yeast
1c Sugar
1/16th tsp champagne yeast
1/8 tsp baking soda
Tepid Water as outlined above

Apparently the baking soda helps with longevity, and the champagne yeast lasts much longer too vs the baking yeast which burns out quicker. I'm going to try baking first, I think... just because I know I can get it locally easily.