Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #161 
Skyewillow

I got a giggle out of the mental image of your female stiktos just floating around in hers! LOL
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #162 
LittleBettaFish

Sometimes it gets stuck up against the glass so I have to turn it around so she can get back in. My males are always getting locked out of theirs because of the filter current pushing the canisters around.

I just finished cleaning out my persephone tank. I couldn't believe how thick the leaf litter was in there. I really don't like how the wood is now positioned, but it's a hard tank to scape being so long and narrow.

At least I can see my fish. I think they are in shock because it looks so bare.

I reckon I will put a WTB for a whole lot of java moss up on one of the local forums. I want it to fill up all the open space in my tanks.

I will get some pictures of my persephone tank once the water clears up. Just need to set-up my burdigala tank and I am done with my fish chores for the day.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #163 
Skyewillow

My domestic girls used to have the same problem with their mesh or bead tubes, then I decided to take pity on them and suction cup them to the wall, tying the tube on with fishing line.

I need to figure out how much is appropriate for them to be eating, he's always mooching.

I would love to see how their tank is done. I'm still trying to work everything out, and with all of your wilds, you're kind of my hero lol
Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #164 
LittleBettaFish

Some of my wilds have gotten quite fat, so I have cut my feedings down because I feed basically all live/frozen foods. I feed most of my wilds once a day or once every couple of days and of late, I prefer to leave them still slightly hungry rather than full.

Haha there are much more experienced keepers and breeders than me out there. I think I just take more photos. The water is clearing up but most of my persephone are still quite clamped since I moved everything around so I will get some shots tomorrow.

I have given up on catching my burdigala female today. I forgot I am using the tank I was going to put her in as a 'plant hospital' outside so will have to find alternative accommodation for her. I thought it would be easy to snag her with my net since she doesn't move around a lot. Boy was I wrong. I can see her at the front of the tank now...mocking me.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #165 
Skyewillow

They never move much until you have a net in your hand. Never fails! lol

How did you get into wilds?
Old 08-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #166 
LittleBettaFish

I can't really remember what sparked my interest in them. However, I have always liked species from the coccina complex, and when a group of coccina became available at my LFS I purchased them all.

My 'official' first pair were my rutilans. I sadly lost the female but I think I still have the original male and his first born son in there. It's hard to tell as they look all very similar.

Then it sort of grew from there. I owned fish from other complexes and still do, but the coccina complex remains my favourite by far.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:15 AM   #167 
LittleBettaFish

Who would have thought condensing two tanks under 5 gallons into one would be such a hassle?

I wanted to use one of the tanks for my wild-caught burdigala pair, and so thought I would put all of my killie fry/juveniles into the one tank rather than the two separate cubes I have now.

Obviously, nothing is ever simple when it comes to fish, particularly when I am tired and cantankerous. Two of my biggest juveniles shared a brief acquaintance with the carpet and I managed to catch them before they started off on their exploration of the underside of my chest of drawers. I then had another two (looking back it was probably the same two) leap out into the water section of my bain-marie style grow-out. I don't even think this water is conditioned and I sometimes pour salt water from my BBS hatchery into it, so suffice to say I was not that thrilled with them embracing their inner flying fish.

I did however, manage to separate out my single hendra fry and it is now living in a 1L plastic container of its own. I was worried it might be eaten by the bigger juveniles, so now I can keep eyes on it and make sure it is doing well.

While I think I sprouted a whole head of grey hairs, none of my killies were remotely traumatised by the whole affair if the amount of BBS they ate was anything to go by.

Just finished doing all my water changes on my wild betta tanks. Now some of my rutilans have their ventrals growing back in, I have been studying them all closely to see if I have any females. Looks like I do have one female amongst the sub-adults so when when I have my racks downstairs she will have a tank of her own with one of the best males.

Uberis male has a nest but I'm not sure if there are eggs in it or he is still courting the female (their courtship always seems to be a very protracted affair).

My burdigala have settled in nicely to the big tank. The mouth damage is clearing up on my two Hermanus females. I think because there are more females in the tank, they aren't being constantly harassed by the males. There are a couple nests I see in the film canisters so that seems to be a good sign.

Persephone are still getting used to their tank. I definitely want some java moss in there to provide cover for the less dominant males.

My all-male tank is having a pond snail invasion. I usually like snails, but these pond snails are terrible. I wish their shells would erode and they would die because they make a mess everywhere. Otherwise all the males in there are doing great. The male rutilans that has some sort of growth in his mouth that I always think is going to die appears to be thriving even if he is starting to resemble the Elephant Man.

Going to the not so LFS tomorrow because mum is purchasing a 2ft tank for her unimaculata pair and I need to pick up some blackworms and see if they have any java moss in stock. Hopefully they don't have any wild bettas in stock because I have no ability to resist the tiny coccina species they seem to get in.

I would have taken some photos, but my mum has reclaimed her camera to get some photos of my dog Nike's nieces and nephews. Her half-sister (same mum but dad of the sister is the grand-sire of Nike) had a litter of ten and my mum being a big puppy person is over there visiting.

Me personally, I hate the puppy stage. I much prefer when they are old enough to hold their bladder overnight and not view absolutely everything as chew toy. Of course Nike is two years old and she still likes to gnaw on the back door frame.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #168 
Skyewillow

I always love how you write these entries! ^_^

it may take a long time, but we squished our pond snails and let the bettas eat them that way. It took about 3 months for us to get rid of them between that and scraping off the egg clusters and throwing them into the trash. it was tedious!

I'm looking forward to seeing if you find anything at the LFS.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #169 
LittleBettaFish

I am planning on tearing that tank down and removing the leaf litter so I figure I might just do a mass culling of the pond snails then. It seems to have worked in my rutilans tank as I threw out all the old leaves and washed everything else in boiling hot water.

Got some updated photos of my killie juveniles. They are really fast moving now so a lot harder to take good photos of. I had to bust out my grindals to get them to stay still.

Male starting to get in his adult colouration

The father of the group

Then here is a beautiful photo of Nike's sister with her puppies. Apparently she is a natural first-time mother. Her and Nike are so alike in appearance it is uncanny. Mum is on a puppy high and is now all excited about breeding our dog Eos towards the end of the year. I knew I shouldn't have let her go visit any puppies.

I have this feeling we are going to end up being like 101 Dalmatians, except with German Shepherds instead.

I hope I don't find anything I like at the aquarium. I am trying to hold onto my money to see if any hendra or brownorum pairs get imported in on the 28th.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #170 
Skyewillow

Wow, those killies grow FAST!!

Puppies are a blast, as long as someone else's shoes are eaten and you're not on poo duty. lol

I'm wishing you lots of luck on the brownorum or hendra pairs! I was on Aquabid today, ugh! It almost killed me, they had 2-3 pairs of Mahachaiensis listed!! Too bad this pair broke my piggybank! lol