Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #171 
LittleBettaFish

I think the killies are around a month or so old now. But they do grow fast, particularly when I only do 20% water changes every second day. That was why I moved my hendra. I was afraid they were going to so outstrip it in growth that it might get eaten.

They didn't have any wild bettas that I was interested in when I went to the aquarium today. They did have some nice splendens so I had to make an effort not to look at them too closely.

Instead I got a 2ft tank for mum's unimaculata pair, some NLS pellets for them as well and three serves of blackworms for the rest of my wilds.

I also set this tank up before I went out. I will be borrowing some java moss from my killie grow-out and the IAL should sink after a couple of days. Hopefully my burdigala female likes her new home. At least I can keep eyes on her if she is by herself and make certain she is eating properly.

I hope she gets one of the species I want in. Otherwise I am probably going to have to wait another month before the next shipment arrives.

Are you just interested in mahachai at the moment or thinking of branching out further into that complex?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #172 
LittleBettaFish

Success! Caught my burdigala female and she is now in her new home. I saw her male yesterday and was going to net him then but the tank wasn't ready. It's hard because all the males look very similar. He just isn't as brightly coloured and has a rounder head than his sons and the other males.

The water is cloudy from the IAL. It will clear up in the next couple of days. Tested the ammonia levels because the substrate is ADA and they are at 0ppm so will throw some duckweed in just to make certain they remain that way.

Then two of my rutilans were having a sparring match. I did have a group brawl going on outside the film canisters but they were too high up in the tank to get a decent shot.

Ages ago before these two were born, one of their older siblings was attacked and killed by the others. They can be an aggressive species so I do just have to watch to make certain no harm is being done. Luckily, in this case it was all display.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #173 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Are you just interested in mahachai at the moment or thinking of branching out further into that complex?
I'm definitely looking into branching out into the rest of that complex. I really like Stiktos, splendens, and siamorientalis, and if I get that far through it, I may as well get all of them! ^_^

The rutilans are so pretty! too bad they're aggressive.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #174 
LittleBettaFish

They aren't too bad as there are at least 20 of them in that 10 gallon tank. However, since they are the last of my line unless I have a couple of females in there, I don't want to take any chances of them harming each other.

I think you should get stiktos next. This is my male out of his breeders box for some exercise in the main tank. He is okay with the female now having lived next to her for so many weeks, and so he is allowed out if I am there to watch.

I think he has gotten so used to his breeder box though that he doesn't like to leave it. He was only out for an hour or so and when I walked past he had put himself back in there! So much for exercising. I have to get my dad or brother to cut up my sheet of perspex so I can properly divide their tank in half.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #175 
Skyewillow

Yes, I'm definitely considering stiktos once we move.

That's funny how he put himself back lol!
Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #176 
LittleBettaFish

His female was in there with him too at some point. I think he is a bit afraid of her now. She's not as submissive as she used to be and has given him a few nips of her own when they have been in together.

Was quite bummed to see that the brand new tank my mum got for her unimaculata pair had a big dent in the bottom corner, right on the silicone join. I only discovered it after I had put in the substrate and started filling it.

Fortunately, I had a spare 2ft lying around so they are now both in that until we can take the broken tank back to the store.

I am pleased with how my wild-caught burdigala female is doing. She is very tame so as soon as she sees me she comes over to spy. Her tank is still slightly cloudy, but clearing up.

She ate three whiteworms and some grindals this morning. Hopefully, I can put some condition back on her and then her male can join her to keep her company. I saw him in the main tank and was so tempted to net him but decided to give her some time alone.

I've ordered an extra 100 watt and 25 watt heater. The 100 watt will be going in with the unimaculata and the 25 watt will be spare in case I get a pair of wild bettas in the next week or so.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #177 
LittleBettaFish

Here are my unimaculata pair in their 2ft tank. I have to add more water and a couple of IAL today, but otherwise they seem happy with it and I'm hoping the duckweed in there will grow to cover the surface and the peacock moss will take over at the bottom.

They were doing their usual spastic tank move jumping yesterday but seem to have settled down this morning. They had some whiteworms for breakfast and the male managed to sit still long enough for me to get a couple of shots. He is literally half blind and so can be skittish if I startle him.

Then I noticed this burdigala fry was out in the open so I got a couple photos while it was eating. I think it's the smallest/youngest burdigala I have, and it looks to be female based on its ventrals. Hopefully this is the case as I have a lot of males.

I think we are getting a replacement 2ft tank. However, I don't really want to have to shift the unimaculata again because it is time-consuming for me and really stressful for them, so I am not sure what mum wants me to do with it. Maybe I will just see if it is okay for my persephone to move into. I am finding their 12 gallon long not very user friendly and I think that a 10 gallon would be too small for them all.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #178 
Skyewillow

the unimaculata tank looks amazing! And that baby is so adorable with her full belly! ^_^
Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #179 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks. They were smashing on their cling wrap all last night so I was not very happy with them. Crazy fish.

I definitely think I am going to replace all my tanks with aqua soil as substrate instead of peat moss. Just makes maintenance and the long-term appearance of the tank a lot easier and neater. I think one or two 9L bags should be enough to do all my tanks as I don't use much.

It's funny, no one even bothers the several small fry/juveniles I have in that burdigala tank. They are in with adults and sub-adults that are not even related to them, and the only fighting that takes place is between themselves.

It's like once the juveniles get to a certain age/size, they no longer predate their younger siblings.

I also think my uberis pair spawned. The male was not pleased as I accidentally dropped all these blackworms in his nest when I think there were either eggs or fry in there so he has now moved the whole thing from the log into his film canister.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #180 
LittleBettaFish

Phew, finally finished the mammoth task of moving around 25 persephone into a different tank.

I was sick of not being able to see them very well because the middle shelf is so dark and so now they are in a tank up on the top shelf next to my rutilans. Rutilans supervised the whole process and are not sure what to make of their new neighbours.

The substrate had already been used in another tank and was still wet, so even though I didn't disturb it, there was some clouding of the water. Plus I also used 20 litres of water from the persephone's old tank, and since that was very heavy on the tannins it does not make for a very pretty picture at the moment.

They seem to be settling in fine and are all exploring and staking out their own territories within the tank. I'm hoping to get some java moss so I can provide some more cover on the bottom of the tank as this seems to be where they spend most of their time.

With them moved, that means I now can turn my two tanks on the middle shelf longways, which the fish seem to prefer. The plan is to set up two extra 30cm cubes on there for prospective new pairs, and move my stiktos pair into a divided 30cm tank as I want the male permanently out of the breeder box.

I also have a Mr Aqua 12 gallon long spare now. Not certain what to do with that. Might wait and use it when my racks downstairs are ready.