Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #201 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Thanks for mentioning Hermanus a few weeks ago.I looked u phis site. What an incredible amount of amazingly beautiful fish.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #202 
LittleBettaFish

Hermanus has a pretty big operation. Most of the wilds coming through Jodi-Lea/Fishchick Aquatics in Australia come from him. My burdigala, uberis and persephone are either descendants of stock from him or have actually come from his fish room.

Seems like my stiktos male has eaten his eggs. I thought as much and so I tipped all the nest out this morning, and there was nothing in there.

I do have to admit that while I was excited about having some fry, I don't mind too much as I was going to be moving this pair into a new tank and fry would have put a hold on those plans.

Hopefully this one time does not set a pattern for bad breeding behaviour though.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #203 
Skyewillow

Boo! I hope he doesn't make that a habit!!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #204 
LittleBettaFish

To make myself feel like less of a fish breeding failure, I went and had a look at my burdigala tank. Only two of the fish in there are fish I purchased. The rest I bred myself.

I have a surprisingly large number of females in this tank. I always thought I would end up with more males. However, my wild-caught female seems to have given me a good percentage of daughters. I was contemplating crossing one back onto the father as the mother is still rather fragile at the moment.

Not 100% on the gender of this one. It has quite a large dorsal but a very straight anal and female looking ventrals.

Nice young male.

Female

A rather nice-looking female. Got to love that dorsal spread.

Thinking juvenile female based on finnage and colouration.

Young male in the background. One of his sisters swam past and made him go out of focus.

Another nice daughter out of my wild-caught female.

Then I have a couple photos of the biggest of my killifish males. These fish are absolutely adorable. Hopefully I can find them new homes with fellow hobbyists.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #205 
LittleBettaFish

Well my stiktos male has fry still hanging from the nest and yet he is now also wrapping with the female again. She obviously couldn't wait to have another go at this spawning business.

They are an odd pair. He has not even been all that defensive of the nest site even when she wasn't interested in spawning and they only share a 5 gallon tank.

Suppose it shows just how individual these fish can be in terms of aggression.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #206 
LittleBettaFish

Well yesterday I did a complete tear-down of my uberis and miscellaneous male tanks. This was partly because I couldn't stand looking at them, and partly because I am going to be picking up some aqua soil today.

My poor uberis male first managed to jump out of the tank and land on my top shelf before falling around two metres to the floor. I couldn't quite reach him so it took another five or so minutes before I could get him back in the tank.

Then once I had removed all the leaf litter and siphoned off the peat moss, I noticed that only the female uberis was still in the tank! I rush back to the bathroom and luckily the male was in the colander I use to drain the water through.

He is now flaring at the female and exploring the tank so I assume he is feeling better.

My miscellaneous male tank was so disgusting. While it looks natural, having peat moss and leaf litter as a substrate makes cleaning harder (you can't disturb the peat moss without sending it everywhere) and it tends to end up smelling like rotten egg.

The positioning of the wood in there was also not very good and so I cut one of the pieces in half to give them more places to hide. I also procured some java moss from another of my tanks and positioned it around the wood. I think I need to maybe put a WTB on some of the Australian fish forums for a couple tennis balls worth of java moss. I forgot how good it is to have in wild betta tanks.

Apart from that, my male stiktos is still looking after his fry and eggs. The fry are now almost fully horizontal so I think they should be leaving the nest soon. Be interesting to see whether the female ignores them or predates them.

My hendra fry is loving having more space to move around. I can't wait until it starts looking more like a fish and starts getting its adult colouration in.

I have tried emailing the transhipper about whether or not she has a hendra pair in stock as I really want to buy them, but so far no luck with a response. I am worried someone might get in before me.

Oh well, suppose if that happens I can always contact Hermanus and see what he has in stock and whether I can just import directly with the next shipment.

Pictures will be coming later today. It's morning here and my fish have just woken up.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #207 
LittleBettaFish

Here are some quick photos of the progress I have made.

This is the male tank complete with new ADA substrate and wood layout. I think I really only need another piece of goldvine and some floating plants, and that will finish off that tank. Water is still cloudy from the aqua soil.

Tussyae male is not sure what to make of the new changes although he likes the cave.

Rutilans male rarely makes for a flattering shot.

I put aqua soil in my uberis tank, and also changed the layout of the wood in here. I think it looks more natural this way, and provides the fish with some environmental enrichment as they have to go in and out of the manzanita branches.

The first batch of stiktos fry are now free-swimming and have strayed from the nest. The second batch have not yet fully adsorbed their yolk sacs and are staying put under the male's watchful eye.

I still have a lot of aqua soil left. I was only going to get a 3L bag but mum offered to get me the bigger one as it would save us having to make multiple trips back and forth to this shop.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #208 
Chesh

The tank looks good!!! ^.^

Does Aquasoil leach ammonia into the tank when it's fresh? I've read that it does, but maybe that was a different kind. . .
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #209 
LittleBettaFish

According to what I've read and experienced, Malaya and Africana don't release much ammonia at all. They contain the least amount of nutrients (unlike Amazonia which can release more than 8ppm of ammonia), but I don't have very demanding plants and am using them more for their colouring and their buffering capabilities (they generally can get the pH to stay around 5).

I have been testing all my tanks I have used aqua soil in so far, and I have not been getting any readings for ammonia at all. I also don't use a whole heap. Only a thin layer along the bottom.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #210 
Chesh

I'd thank you for the usefulness of your post, but my thank button has vanished! Thanks for the info, though!

Which wilds would you recommend for a beginner?
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote