Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #281 
LittleBettaFish

Well my unimaculata pair spawned again this afternoon. The female was absolutely full of eggs and the male looks like he has a decent mouthful.

However, that is not the most exciting news.

I come home tonight and saw something very small moving around in my unimaculata tank. I got the torch out and had a look, and see two absolutely tiny unimaculata fry. Considering how much moss and plant cover is in that tank, it is a very real possibility there could be more.

So these are the first fry from my home-bred female. So proud of my runt.

The plan is now to keep her very well-fed so she is less inclined to try and eat them. I think they are too fast and small for her to show much interest in, but I want at least a couple survivors to rear.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #282 
Skyewillow

YAY!! How exciting!!! ^_^

I'm wishing them luck in avoiding mom lol
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #283 
LittleBettaFish

The fry are smaller than I remember my previous mouthbrooding fry to be. They are similar in size to my coccina complex fry.

Found this photo of my persephone when they were really young. I remember how freaked I was about the red fins. It was cool watching the blue slowly cover it up.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #284 
Skyewillow

Wow! they look so different now! They were adorable.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #285 
LittleBettaFish

Managed to get two photos of one of my tiny fry. Mum was lurking around right under it because she thought I had food so I gave her some pellets to keep her away.

I found their old AB ad and apparently the male was wild-caught from the Sangatta River. At least I know his locality now if I want to sell any fry later on down the track.

Made the photos a little bigger than normal so the fry is actually visible. The white things on the right are MWs I put in.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #286 
Skyewillow

omg so tiny!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #287 
LittleBettaFish

Well I was feeding my burdigala group and decided to snap a few shots while everyone was out and about. Otherwise when the light is on I never see them. I'm hoping darker water, thicker surface plant growth and some java moss will help them become more comfortable.

I really should have done a headcount when I moved them into this tank. I reckon there would have to be somewhere between 20-40 fish in there.

Male

One of the smallest juveniles in the tank

Four brothers sharing lunch

Showing off that beautiful dorsal

Juvenile being bossy (think maybe a female)

Young male bossing around an older female

Some males and females hanging out

I wish my uberis and 'spare' males were more receptive to having their photos taken as I feel like I am just photographing the same fish. My rutilans are being treated for velvet so can't have their photo taken, and my wild-caught burdigala pair are hard to get decent photos of.

Be good when I have a couple more species in my fish room so I can get a more diverse range of photos haha

My persephone tank is almost exactly how I wanted it to look. Just really want some watersprite, some duckweed and some java moss to finish it off.

Some males decided it was a good day for sparring while Ugly Betty was beating an overly curious sister off her leaf.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #288 
LittleBettaFish

After all this time I FINALLY got a photo of my stiktos female. She was actually being really friendly today so I think she is getting used to me. Her and the male were flirting with each other and he has a nest in his film canister so I am thinking another spawn is in the works. These fish are so prolific it is crazy.

The female is absolutely stunning in her breeding dress. I think I might break my 'no names' policy for these two because they have so much personality. I am constantly surprised at how gentle the male is with her. It's all display versus physical aggression.

My uberis pair also spawned. I thought the male was just guarding an empty nest but when I put some worms in this morning for him I saw a fry fall out. I still don't know what happens to the fry in this tank. I think maybe the female eats them because the male has raised plenty of fry in the past.

My rutilans seem to be coping with the velvet treatment alright. They have a water change due today and then I do the final dose on day six. After that I will be stripping out the old substrate in their tank and replacing it with aqua soil.

Got news on the hendra pair from Jodi-Lea. She put them on hold for me and I'm not sure if she shipped them out yesterday which would mean delivery today. Unfortunately while I was busy verifying the cost of shipping I accidentally forgot to ask the cost of the actual pair themselves. Oops. Just waiting to hear back from her so I can send the money through.

I didn't have anything prepared tank wise. I was waiting for someone to bring over some java moss, at the moment it is just a half-filled 30cm tank with a couple pieces of Asian water grass, a handful of floating IAL, some duckweed and a piece of PVC pipe. We are going to the aquarium Sunday so going to pick up some goldvine and maybe some water sprite if they have any. Hopefully what they have now should suffice until then.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #289 
LittleBettaFish

I have decided I will be moving my wild-caught burdigala pair back into the main tank. The female will be housed permanently in a large breeder net so she doesn't get bullied, and the male can just go back in as he can hold his own.

This is because I will be selecting a pair of persephone to put into their tank and have another go at spawning this species.

However, before that happens I want to stuff the tank full of duckweed (have this on hand) and something like water sprite/mayaca (need to buy) so that I can keep water changes to a bare minimum. Going to see if rearing fry in a tank with less water changes and therefore less parameter fluctuations results in no velvet attacks.

If I get fry from this pairing I will most likely only retain one pair and then sell the rest as I just want enough to keep my own line going.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #290 
LittleBettaFish

Been sick, so haven't had time to update.

Quick summary is that I purchased both a pair of Betta hendra and a pair of Betta brownorum from Jodi-Lea. They should hopefully be sent out Monday next week, so should arrive Tuesday. Got one tank ready to go with some java moss, java fern, Asian water grass, duckweed and IAL. The other one will be set-up later today with pretty much the same things. Really want to get some fry from both species. Brownorum have proven to be quite a difficult species to successfully spawn.

My wild-caught burdigala pair are back in with the main group, and a pair of persephone are now sharing their previous tank. I got a nice plump female (I nearly netted Ugly Betty a few times), but had to content myself with one of the smaller males because I wasn't tearing the tank apart any further and the bigger ones were out of reach. However, he is still a nice fish and I am hoping that these two will produce some fry for me to further my line.

Next species I will be adding to my fish room will be Betta rutilans (the traditional red colouration). I am likely selling two pairs of persephone to a fellow hobbyist for $70 each and so will be putting that money back into my wilds.

My unimaculata male has thankfully swallowed his most recent mouthful of eggs. I have been counting the fry, and for now, there are more than enough in there for me to be content with raising.

Uberis fry are once more MIA. I suspect the female. Male is too dutiful a father to eat his fry once they have left the nest. I suspect they will spawn again soon being that there was a lot of chasing going on.

Don't have any pictures this time around. Cleaning all my tanks just now so everything is a bit of a mess.