Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #301 
LittleBettaFish

Got an updated photo of my rack this morning. There are four tanks missing from this photo. Two are on my sideboard, one is on my chest of drawers and the other is on my bedside table.

The mismatched lights and cords/airline tubing everywhere still annoys me, but the tanks themselves are starting to look better than they have in a long while.

I am rather surprised by how much I like the Malaya substrate. It sort of breaks down slightly when I add water, and ends up looking quite natural once the plants are in and the water darkens up.

As you can see below, its slightly lighter colour doesn't wash my fish out at all.

I also forgot how much my wilds love IALs. I got a delivery of some tea bags to use for my water aging tub as well as 25 large leaves to use in my tanks.

I added one leaf each to my hendra and brownorum tanks and both males have already taken up residence beneath them.

With a stomach full of mosquito larvae and a female to share his tank with, I don't think life could be much better for my hendra male.

My unimaculata pair spawned last night. I was not surprised considering how full of eggs the female was. Male has a huge mouthful.

Going to be working on getting the tank properly set-up for my still to arrive pair. I sort of just chucked the plants and leaves in everywhere and it does not look very appealing.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #302 
LittleBettaFish

I went ahead and started treatment on my wholesaler coccina pair and brownorum. The temperature is at 32 degrees Celsius and I'm using Waterlife Protozin as I have found this to work well on ich infections.

I realised I have no life yesterday when I was actually getting excited that the CFL globes I recently purchased fit the the clamp lamp that had been left untouched in my wardrobe for months.

I now have it attached to the top shelf of my rack to offer light for the plants in my persephone tank.

I'm hoping to pick up three UP-AQUA pro z LED lights for my rack. The mismatch of lights and the amount of electricity they are probably using on a daily basis is something I hate, and the UP-AQUA lights are reasonably priced, slick looking and have decent reviews from what I read online.

My rutilans sp. cf. green are looking a lot better now they are back at a lower temperature (they seem to thrive around the 72-73 degree mark). I am nearly 100% certain I have at least one female in there as I have been watching her for a couple days now. Sadly, I don't have space for another tank so it may be a while before I can separate a pair out.

I am hoping the storm last night and this morning has induced my persephone pair to spawn. Male has the biggest nest and they are always in the film canister together. Unfortunately, the film canister is right in the midst of the mayaca so it is difficult to tell whether the male has eggs or an empty nest.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #303 
LittleBettaFish

I am currently on cloud nine. My new pair arrived in perfect health about an hour ago. They were a couple of hundred dollars for the pair plus shipping and considering they could be a totally new species, I couldn't wait to have them safely in my tank.

The male is a little shy, but his female has been out and about exploring. They are so small they make a 3.5 gallon tank look like it's double that size.

Probably won't know what this species is for a long time, but they are red and small and so I don't care either way.

I got these two photos of my female exploring. This was maybe ten minutes after being let out of the bag.

Then my spoiled rotten hendra male wanted to have his photo taken. Unfortunately, the glass needed cleaning so that sort of ruined an otherwise nice photo.

Bad news is that I have discovered a couple of younger burdigala with spotting on their fins. I have decided I give up on my battle with whatever parasite it is that continues to plague my tanks. Everyone is on separate buckets/siphons, I wash my hands with soap in between tanks and I don't put my tweezers into the water when I am feeding frozen and live foods. So I have no idea how it is spreading from tank to tank. I have been meaning to pick up a couple more test kits and also a digital pH monitor to see if something in my parameters makes my fish unhappy. But these being such sensitive species anyway, I wouldn't think I would get them spawning if the conditions were not to their liking.

I've decided I am just going to bump the temperature down like I do with my rutilans and unless it turns into a full-blown infection in the tanks where fish display symptoms, I am going to leave it be. The treatments seem to be much more stressful than the actual parasite and just seem to make things a lot worse. All of my tanks are basically isolated from each other so there's no way I can spread it.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #304 
PetMania

Well, I hope the spotting goes away. Your fish are so beautiful. I just love how wild they look. :)
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #305 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah it's annoying. Been dealing with it constantly for probably a year or so now, ever since I got an initial strain of velvet into my fish room. I thought I had completely eradicated it but sometimes I wonder.

They are wild (some even wild-caught) and there is just something about them that is so much better than splendens. I love being able to house them in groups/pairs and watch them interact with each other. Seems much more natural than the isolation male splendens are forced to live in.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #306 
PetMania

Males can live with each other? I WANT SOME!! Haha lol. But I do wonder where I can get these in the US.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #307 
PetMania

I absolutely adore the coloring on the male in your picture. He has a not-too flashy appearance that I love.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #308 
LittleBettaFish

The hendra? Yeah they are one of my favourite species. They have been around a while in the hobby, but only got officially described this year. Before they were usually called Betta sp. 'palangkaraya'.

The female is really nice as she is a more subtle version of his colouring with almost permanent vertical barring. She is just shy so doesn't come out as much.

I like the fact with wilds I can have probably over 100 fish and only 12 tanks. When I had splendens I had tanks sprawled everywhere.

If you ever are interested in wild betta species (there are over 70 at present I believe), you can join the IBC Species Maintenance Program FB page. This will put you into contact with wild betta breeders and keepers from around the world.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #309 
PetMania

Thanks! I think wild bettas are beautiful and you can benefit from their requirements.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #310 
LittleBettaFish

A lot of people never get an opportunity to see wild bettas at their best. Unless fish stores know what they are doing, wild bettas they stock generally look clamped, dull coloured and stress striped.

This is why I post so many pictures of my fish. To show how many different betta species exist, and to illustrate how beautiful they can be.

I still think a fully coloured up persephone from Ayer Hitam is more stunning than any fancy splendens I have seen.